Discussion on British Politics
(06-05-2017, 03:31 PM)juicyorange Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 03:26 PM)Sharpshooter Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 03:20 PM)TieDye Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 02:57 PM)Huskii Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 02:47 PM)Dragnort_ Wrote: Strong. And. Stable.

VOTE Theresa May

The worst political sound bite in recent history.

May I ask why you are voting Conservative?

I know that the question wasn't aimed at me and seeing as Dragnort doesn't understand that you don't vote for Theresa May and that you vote for your local MP (such as my constituency that doesn't have UKIP, SNP or Green Party running)

I'm voting for Conservative as I want to leave the EU  as that is what the question was in the referendum. 'Would you like to leave the EU?' which implies leaving and not staying in all the things attached. Other parties either want to hold another referendum or have a "soft" brexit which will mean not leaving things that a surprisingly large amount of 'leavers' voted for.

Also, I don't believe that the Labour party has changed since the infamous 1997 vote in which promises were made but very few were delivered. The ones that were delivered were done by taking a huge amount of loans and practically ruined our economy. The only reason that the economy seems bad when the conservatives took to power was that they were trying to fix the economy instead of making it worse and worse until the entire economy collapsed.

You talk of sound bites yet that is exactly what the labour party and others do to get votes. Things such as "Free School meals for all" and "no tuition fees" which obviously appeals to young voters and families that have a low income. The question is "How do they pay for it?" and they go into this drivel of "Tax the 1%" etc.
However, what happens when the top 1% and the big businesses leave the country, after all, we are leaving the European Union. Some may just decide that they are getting taxed too much and that Britain is not the place where they can make money. This would further ruin the economy and add on to the loans that will also be most likely taken out.

My question to you is, why would you vote for labour or other parties? (I am assuming you are a Labour supporter, if you are not then please state which and I will respond to why that party isn't the best to vote for Smile )

How exactly can you vote?I thought you were 15?
Also maybe Dragnort lives in Theresa May's constituency?

Very lucky to be living in Jersey where the voting age is 16.

Isn't Jersey self governing ?

Anyway sadly for places like Jersey and the Isle of Man you will all be hit worse when Brexit finally happens. That freedom to trade between the U.K. & the EU will be gone lol. Not only that there is talk of the UK Common Travel Area to be abolished as well considering Conservatives want a hard border between NI & ROI. So the abolishment of the CTA would essentially mean the abolishment of east passing between the Island and the UK. Then Jersey has no relationship with the EU as it's current relationship is as a territory and not a nation.

But hey, agriculture and fishing are your biggest markets....I'm sure France will still let you all fish in their waters after this is done lol.
[Image: giphy.gif]
The following 2 users Like Marty's post:
  • Archer, Dauntless
(06-05-2017, 11:09 PM)Marty Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 02:57 PM)Huskii Wrote: The worst political sound bite in recent history.

I know that the question wasn't aimed at me and seeing as Dragnort doesn't understand that you don't vote for Theresa May and that you vote for your local MP (such as my constituency that doesn't have UKIP, SNP or Green Party running)

I'm voting for Conservative as I want to leave the EU  as that is what the question was in the referendum. 'Would you like to leave the EU?' which implies leaving and not staying in all the things attached. Other parties either want to hold another referendum or have a "soft" brexit which will mean not leaving things that a surprisingly large amount of 'leavers' voted for.

Also, I don't believe that the Labour party has changed since the infamous 1997 vote in which promises were made but very few were delivered. The ones that were delivered were done by taking a huge amount of loans and practically ruined our economy. The only reason that the economy seems bad when the conservatives took to power was that they were trying to fix the economy instead of making it worse and worse until the entire economy collapsed.

You talk of sound bites yet that is exactly what the labour party and others do to get votes. Things such as "Free School meals for all" and "no tuition fees" which obviously appeals to young voters and families that have a low income. The question is "How do they pay for it?" and they go into this drivel of "Tax the 1%" etc.
However, what happens when the top 1% and the big businesses leave the country, after all, we are leaving the European Union. Some may just decide that they are getting taxed too much and that Britain is not the place where they can make money. This would further ruin the economy and add on to the loans that will also be most likely taken out.

My question to you is, why would you vote for labour or other parties? (I am assuming you are a Labour supporter, if you are not then please state which and I will respond to why that party isn't the best to vote for Smile )

Anyway sadly for places like Jersey and the Isle of Man you will all be hit worse when Brexit finally happens. That freedom to trade between the U.K. & the EU will be gone lol. Not only that there is talk of the UK Common Travel Area to be abolished as well considering Conservatives want a hard border between NI & ROI. So the abolishment of the CTA would essentially mean the abolishment of east passing between the Island and the UK. Then Jersey has no relationship with the EU as it's current relationship is as a territory and not a nation.

But hey, agriculture and fishing are your biggest markets....I'm sure France will still let you all fish in their waters after this is done lol.

Spain and France were fishing in our waters before. They were also disregarding the laws of how many fish they had to take from the sea which is what the British fisherman had to do. The UK will still make trade deals with the EU, it will be harder but not impossible. Also, the UK will be free to trade with other countries around the world.
The following 1 user Likes Bobby's post:
  • Ratatoskrr
(06-06-2017, 05:13 AM)TieDye Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 03:20 PM)TieDye Wrote: I know that the question wasn't aimed at me and seeing as Dragnort doesn't understand that you don't vote for Theresa May and that you vote for your local MP (such as my constituency that doesn't have UKIP, SNP or Green Party running)

Spain and France were fishing in our waters before. They were also disregarding the laws of how many fish they had to take from the sea which is what the British fisherman had to do. The UK will still make trade deals with the EU, it will be harder but not impossible. Also, the UK will be free to trade with other countries around the world.

Yet it would not have the advantage of being a member of the EU
[Image: 7EmE7CZ.png]
Have I helped you or am I friendly?
+rep
(06-05-2017, 02:57 PM)Huskii Wrote: The worst political sound bite in recent history.

If you did some research you would know that we are in a trade agreement with the EU, yes we are completely independent to UK. The brexit decision will have absolutely no impact on us. I was just stating it's 16 to vote here. I am also pretty sure we are an offshore island for the rich to store their money, think we will be fine.
(06-06-2017, 05:44 AM)juicyorange Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 03:20 PM)TieDye Wrote: I know that the question wasn't aimed at me and seeing as Dragnort doesn't understand that you don't vote for Theresa May and that you vote for your local MP (such as my constituency that doesn't have UKIP, SNP or Green Party running)

If you did some research you would know that we are in a trade agreement with the EU, yes we are completely independent to UK. The brexit decision will have absolutely no impact on us. I was just stating it's 16 to vote here. I am also pretty sure we are an offshore island for the rich to store their money, think we will be fine.
No.
"Jersey’s status as a Crown dependency gives the Island constitutional rights of self-government and judicial independence. Jersey has a considerable measure of autonomy within its constitutional relationship with the United Kingdom (UK) although it is not independent of the UK."
Directly from gov,je
+rep
(06-06-2017, 06:36 AM)Sharpshooter Wrote:
(06-06-2017, 05:44 AM)juicyorange Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 03:26 PM)Sharpshooter Wrote: How exactly can you vote?I thought you were 15?

No.
"Jersey’s status as a Crown dependency gives the Island constitutional rights of self-government and judicial independence. Jersey has a considerable measure of autonomy within its constitutional relationship with the United Kingdom (UK) although it is not independent of the UK."
Directly from gov,je
Will get back to you to explain our politics because I am pretty sure I live here lol. I have to go rn tho so I'll be back later.
I'd prefer better choices, Cornyn isn't strong enough to run a country but May seems to be off her head 24/7.

However if I could vote I would choose conservatives, not Labour.
Meh, it's a hard one...

The islands are kinda like your 18 year old little brother fresh out of school thinking he knows everything.

Sure he can open a bank account have his own money and try and be independent.

However when some older person or group of people starts to harass you all of a sudden he's asking you for help, your like nah bro thought your a big boy now, and he's like nah please remember that time we signed an agreement saying you would protect me about a thousand years ago. And your like fuck yeah what was I thinking.

That's kinda the relationship between Jersey & the UK. But only a fool would think Brexit won't affect them. No Common Travel Area, no Free trade (and yes your right Jersey does have a special relationship with the EU but it's only due to being a U.K. territory that'll be gone once Brexit) oh and no one hides their billions in Jersey lol.

People hide their money in a place with no relationship to the UK, including not enforcing U.K. warrants of seizure etc.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(06-06-2017, 09:20 AM)Marty Wrote: Meh, it's a hard one...

The islands are kinda like your 18 year old little brother fresh out of school thinking he knows everything.

However when some older person or group of people starts to harass you all of a sudden he's asking you for help, your like nah bro thought your a big boy now, and he's like nah please remember that time we signed an agreement saying you would protect me about a thousand years ago. And your like fuck yeah what was I thinking.

That's kinda the relationship between Jersey & the UK. But only a fool would think Brexit won't affect them. No Common Travel Area, no Free trade (and yes your right Jersey does have a special relationship with the EU but it's only due to being a U.K. territory that'll be gone once Brexit) oh and no one hides their billions in Jersey lol.

People hide their money in a place with no relationship to the UK, including not enforcing U.K. warrants of seizure etc.

Wrong, this wonderful island I live on is a tax haven and offshore, I think I know since both my parents have companies in the financial sector. The relationship between Jersey and UK is that we are a crown dependency, the queen is the head of state and appoints a Lieutenant Governor, who is only the ceremonial representative of the queen, all our laws are made in Jersey and we have our own courts and police force. Our island does not have copyright laws for example while the UK does. Brexit will not affect Jersey as Jersey was never even in the European Union in the first place (ever), there is a trade agreement set in place instead so that the island may trade with EU countries, and it will remain that way even after Brexit is over.

You are only correct in the fact that we do not have any armed forces, however we won't be needing them anyway.

You have mistaken us for a territory like the Cayman Islands.
(06-06-2017, 02:44 PM)juicyorange Wrote:
(06-06-2017, 09:20 AM)Marty Wrote: Meh, it's a hard one...

Wrong, this wonderful island I live on is a tax haven and offshore, I think I know since both my parents have companies in the financial sector. The relationship between Jersey and UK is that we are a crown dependency, the queen is the head of state and appoints a Lieutenant Governor, who is only the ceremonial representative of the queen, all our laws are made in Jersey and we have our own courts and police force. Our island does not have copyright laws for example while the UK does. Brexit will not affect Jersey as Jersey was never even in the European Union in the first place (ever), there is a trade agreement set in place instead so that the island may trade with EU countries, and it will remain that way even after Brexit is over.

You are only correct in the fact that we do not have any armed forces, however we won't be needing them anyway.

You have mistaken us for a territory like the Cayman Islands.

Still,you're not independent.Jersey's website literally states that.In any case,Brexit will affect it,as it is connected to the UK.
+rep