Admins in later timezones
(10-08-2014, 10:00 AM)Floodify Wrote: Not just about hours and role play points folks.

lol sometimes i think it is. Some promotions had some words about RP points and it sounded like its one of the main reasons. But yeah, it is not.
I agree, when i'm on in these timezones (Usually late night/morning in europe) there's no staff on at all, and it usually ends up in minging.
The following 1 user Likes Greed^'s post:
  • Dauntless
It is indeed very sad to see the servers in their 'dead state' most of the time when I'm on. Thing is, it shouldn't be about the role play points. In fact, if a fellow Australian was promoted to join the Moderator team, choosing by roleplay points just would not work, as it backtracks to my previous point - there are not enough admins on in the first place to give out roleplay points.
However, I know this thread is not about roleplay points and even though Flood has said it's not a requirement, I've just seen that some people are wanting a high amount of RPPs for people to be promoted, which I just think would be a shame to see people filtered through by amount of points. Certainly, there needs to be a wider variety and spectrum of administrators on this server.

As BlackDog said, an application process may work for moderator trials at least, but I believe that it wouldn't need to be implemented if all administrators kept an eye out in the later times when people from my timezone may be on.
Well, this is my opinion and I hope to see more moderators and less minges on the servers.

Sincerely,
ArcHammer
[Image: LkB62ld.png]

+Rep
The following 1 user Likes ArcHammer's post:
  • Imperator
(10-09-2014, 02:00 AM)Ciryl Wrote: Admins/Moderators should be chosen by activity,loyalty & dedication- not by being an admin's best-friend.

To whom are you replying to?

We need some Admins from other time zones besides GMT and EST.
Moderators are needed , at this moment theres only 1 , should be like 10 moderators right now
The following 1 user Likes THE ROCK's post:
  • Ozzie88
(10-09-2014, 12:10 AM)BlackDog Wrote:
(10-07-2014, 04:06 PM)SoulRipper Wrote: I would like to have admins from that timezone, but the problem is: when they are playing most of the admins aren't. So we can't really make a judgement about someone capable of being admin.

The best method to resolve FLs issue of staff lacking in specific timezones is to expand the moderator system.

As it stands the moderator system is insanely limited and does very little to eleiviate the workload of the staff and cover a multitude of timezone areas, this is primarily due to how few moderators are ever admitted to the program.

The idea is constantly thrown around that "Its hard to find people for admin" or "Its hard to pick people for moderator", 

The best solution is to expand the moderator program to a slot count of 20, and open applications for them, these applications would be under specific guidelines, minimum hours, max bans on record which timezone you are in etc, but would also allow players who have past experience administering on other servers and comunitys to make themselves known, show their work and experience.

These applicants would be mulled over and voted on by the staff and those accepted from a round of applications would be put on a 1 week trial basis, they are given the simple moderator commands to allow them to maintain the server but not be given access to hidden areas of the forums, Mod forums in particular. From this round of applicants the staff moniter how they operate, how they interperate the rules and how they enforce them, those who are deemed to meet FLs quality expectations will stay on as a full fledged moderator, while those who are not are thanked for their time and are free to apply in the future if and when applications open up again. They apply knowing full well even if they receive the trial position, it is not a guaranteed thing.

This new pool of full moderators will lighten the load on the higher staff and eachother in the event something comes up in their lives, and allow for a far greater coverage of FL's multiple servers and timezones.

From this new pool as well, new administrators can be chosen, in the event a moderator shows exceptional talent and meets the teams conditions, approval and the like they may be moved up, essentialy this phase would not change as it would be more or less identical to how it is now, but now you have a pool of 20 potential admins to mull over and investigate for the position.

This is just my personal opinion and idea on how to solve the issue FL has with its timezones and staff.

People are busy with life, not able to get on and this is fine, but we cannot ignore the fact that we essentialy have no one to pick up the slack when this occurs, an expanded moderator system would make this almost a non issue as the likleyness of enough Administrators and Moderators going inactive to cause the current lapse in coverage would be mi-nute

I agree with everything, but only one thing that I disagree with..

Where you stated that the applicants needs a maximum specific amount of bans or they will not be able to apply, kinda sucks. We've all be stupid with mingy days. We even have administrators right now with 7-8 bans on their record, so I do strongly disagree and an some expections should be made, atleast for those who got a high amount of hours on the servers, since you know that they're struggling to be better and more loyal, yes just like myself, but I'm also speaking for more players than myself since I know that there's a lot more with the same situation as me.
I was baseing that off the last time they opened applications 2-3 years ago.

From that round of applications FL more or less covered its lacking NA timezone problem.

Applications just seem the best route to go, as soul said they cant find people from the lacking timezones because the current staff are not online enough when these people are online, creating a paradox, or vicious cycle

"We need more admins in blank timezone, but when the people who might be good for it are on, the majority of our people are not, but we still need people in blank timezone, but when the people who might be good for it are on, the majority of our people are not"

Applications makes it so the timezone viewing problem is a non issue as now these people are free to apply when the applications are opened and the staff are free to reveiw them.
Saint Dogbert: The patron saint of technology
[Image: Saint_dogbert.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes BlackDog's post:
  • Mist
(10-09-2014, 06:23 PM)BlackDog Wrote: I was baseing that off the last time they opened applications 2-3 years ago.

From that round of applications FL more or less covered its lacking NA timezone problem.

Applications just seem the best route to go, as soul said they cant find people from the lacking timezones because the current staff are not online enough when these people are online, creating a paradox, or vicious cycle

"We need more admins in blank timezone, but when the people who might be good for it are on, the majority of our people are not, but we still need people in blank timezone, but when the people who might be good for it are on, the majority of our people are not"

Applications makes it so the timezone viewing problem is a non issue as now these people are free to apply when the applications are opened and the staff are free to reveiw them.

I am also highly agreeing to open applications for your following reasons.
But I hope that we are both agreeing upon not to have a limit for the bans, there can be a lot of reasons why we shouldn't have a "maximum amount of bans to apply for staff". That would just be stupid.
I have seven bans and I believe in change.

I also do not believe in expanding the staff to more mods. Quality over quantity is the way I see it and we are always looking.
The following 1 user Likes Fultz's post:
  • Mist