Admins in later timezones
If this is in the wrong forum, if an admin/mod would kindly move it, or someone suggest a more appropriate forum, please do. It's not an in-game suggestion, nor is it off-topic...

I live in Brunei. It is a tiny country on the island of Borneo, with Malaysia bordering it. The timezone is GMT+7, and GMT+8 with DST. But enough of the geography lesson.
Let's say I wanted to play at 10:00am my time. That's 3:00am GMT, 4:00am GMT+1, 5:00am GMT+2, etc.
I understand that there are some admins from the USA (where the time would be 7:00pm PST for my 10:00am), however, and I'm sure the Asians, Australians and Kiwis will agree; there simply aren't enough admins on at the times which we play most.
I know what you're thinking: Admins can't be on 24/7 to meet your demands. If someone is causing trouble, make a BR. Most of us play late, anyways.
But it's different. We all know minges come out at night. Well, your night is our lunch time. And Ban Requests can take some time, meanwhile we have to try and avoid a prop pushing, watermelon spamming A-hole.

My suggestion is this: Simply recruit some admins from Australia. I'm not trying to promote myself. I can think of plenty worthy Aussies.
But by doing this, you can increase the chance that there will be an admin on almost always.

I hope you take my suggestion into consideration, because besides the USA and Europe, Australia is your next biggest region of players. And us stragglers in Asia but that's not the point

EDIT: I'm not sure where I stated that we want admins because we want RPPs, or that an Admin should be hired because of their points. This thread seems to have been attacked for trying to rectify what is needed to be an admin. Read it again. I am suggesting for the current admin team to consider recruiting some Admins from later timezones. No where in my suggestion to Soul did I mention points. In fact no where in the OP did I mention points. Yes, I mentioned hours, however to say that is all I view to be needed to become an admin is wrong. In response to Soul, I said " (those who have been loyal to the server, 1k+ hours, played since 2008, Veteran, etc.)"
These were merely examples. Of course there are many factors to consider. I am fully aware having high hours does not make you exempt from rules, nor increase your chance to becoming an admin. 
Those who wish to rage about hours and role play points, please create a new thread. 
This one is to bring attention to the issue we have, not to start a completely unrelated topic, thank you.

Brunei (the little splodge North of Borneo):
[Image: mly-pol.gif]

I would like to have admins from that timezone, but the problem is: when they are playing most of the admins aren't. So we can't really make a judgement about someone capable of being admin.
[Image: get.php?s=STEAM_0:1:15472195&b=9]
Make your own dynamic signature by clicking here.
The following 2 users Like SoulRipper's post:
  • Safira, James_Gaff
I think players who have played for a long time in these timezones should be given a chance. I am sure there are many people that get overlooked, which all would appreciate to help out those timezones.
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
The following 1 user Likes Haarek's post:
  • SoulRipper
Admins from these regions would be nice to have since it isn't until evening that I usually see them on.
(10-07-2014, 04:06 PM)SoulRipper Wrote: I would like to have admins from that timezone, but the problem is: when they are playing most of the admins aren't. So we can't really make a judgement about someone capable of being admin.
Fair enough. 
I suppose a way around this is get some reliable players (those who have been loyal to the server, 1k+ hours, played since 2008, Veteran, etc.) whom which tend to play at those hours - For example an American who tends to play at 9:00pm PDT (3:00pm AEDT) who can report back to the admins, with an unbiased view as they wouldn't be considered for this particular role: being the 'Australian Admin', so to speak.

The following 1 user Likes Safira's post:
  • Nevy
Not just about hours and role play points folks.
Kind Regards,
Floodify
The following 2 users Like Floodify's post:
  • Nexus, ArcHammer
(10-07-2014, 04:06 PM)SoulRipper Wrote: I would like to have admins from that timezone, but the problem is: when they are playing most of the admins aren't. So we can't really make a judgement about someone capable of being admin.

The best method to resolve FLs issue of staff lacking in specific timezones is to expand the moderator system.

As it stands the moderator system is insanely limited and does very little to eleiviate the workload of the staff and cover a multitude of timezone areas, this is primarily due to how few moderators are ever admitted to the program.

The idea is constantly thrown around that "Its hard to find people for admin" or "Its hard to pick people for moderator", 

The best solution is to expand the moderator program to a slot count of 20, and open applications for them, these applications would be under specific guidelines, minimum hours, max bans on record which timezone you are in etc, but would also allow players who have past experience administering on other servers and comunitys to make themselves known, show their work and experience.

These applicants would be mulled over and voted on by the staff and those accepted from a round of applications would be put on a 1 week trial basis, they are given the simple moderator commands to allow them to maintain the server but not be given access to hidden areas of the forums, Mod forums in particular. From this round of applicants the staff moniter how they operate, how they interperate the rules and how they enforce them, those who are deemed to meet FLs quality expectations will stay on as a full fledged moderator, while those who are not are thanked for their time and are free to apply in the future if and when applications open up again. They apply knowing full well even if they receive the trial position, it is not a guaranteed thing.

This new pool of full moderators will lighten the load on the higher staff and eachother in the event something comes up in their lives, and allow for a far greater coverage of FL's multiple servers and timezones.

From this new pool as well, new administrators can be chosen, in the event a moderator shows exceptional talent and meets the teams conditions, approval and the like they may be moved up, essentialy this phase would not change as it would be more or less identical to how it is now, but now you have a pool of 20 potential admins to mull over and investigate for the position.

This is just my personal opinion and idea on how to solve the issue FL has with its timezones and staff.

People are busy with life, not able to get on and this is fine, but we cannot ignore the fact that we essentialy have no one to pick up the slack when this occurs, an expanded moderator system would make this almost a non issue as the likleyness of enough Administrators and Moderators going inactive to cause the current lapse in coverage would be mi-nute
Saint Dogbert: The patron saint of technology
[Image: Saint_dogbert.jpg]
The following 8 users Like BlackDog's post:
  • Moisty, Bowiii, Von Tempski, Greed^, ArcHammer, Suarez, Mist, Duane
Admins/Moderators should be chosen by activity,loyalty & dedication- not by being an admin's best-friend.
The following 3 users Like Ciryl's post:
  • Wood, ArcHammer, fuz3_r3tro
(10-08-2014, 10:00 AM)Floodify Wrote: Not just about hours and role play points folks.

I understand that, I was simply using it as an example for the following reasons:
  • High Hours is directly linked to experience on and dedication to the server.
  • It also means that they have played for X amount of hours without getting long (1-3 years) /lifetime bans. If they have received bans, the chances are it was for minor things, and in their earlier days on FL.

Hope that clarifies what I meant.

The following 1 user Likes Safira's post:
  • Moisty
People keep on saying that hours and role play points are what's important, whilst it is not. Yes, we have promoted someone with 200 ish hours. Yes, we've had admins with 4 role play points. It really isn't JUST about rpp and hours (implying that obviously has a factor, although rpp doesn't really matter that much), it is about far more than that. And that is what I meant with my reply, not that hours and rpp is what defines a good moderator/admin..

I won't get in to detail what matters the most, because I can't be arsed.
Kind Regards,
Floodify
The following 7 users Like Floodify's post:
  • Ciryl, General Rickets, Burnett, James_Gaff, ArcHammer, fuz3_r3tro, Sauce