My Opinion
Admins are getting chosen democratically by the administration team, which seems for non-admins as a rushed decision, is in reality a well considered decision. An thread in the admin section about new admins we would like to have in our team, is around the same size as this topic. In the whole history of FL there were people who were against certain promotions, who were complaining about admin activity and who had their thoughts about certain admin's qualities. Fact is, that after 4 years, this community is still together and running. I'm not trying to show off with that fact, but I don't know that much communities who has been 'alive' for that period of time.

I think that compared to old admin teams, this admin team is doing a good job. Inappropriate ban reasons has been reduced, ban times are fair and the bans are more objective. In the old FL, which is described as a romantic period, there were no admin guidelines, there weren't trials, there weren't clear appointments made between admins, and there weren't even admins from the USA. I honestly think we did nothing but improve the administration team of Fearless.

Nowadays there are still problems which needs to be solved, and which takes time. A problem for example, the issue regarding the unanswered @ messages really needs to be solved. But it's not like I just say: "Admins be more active". The core of the problem needs to be solved, which is that there are way to many @ messages for an admin to reply to, that it's unclear who answers the @ messages when there are multiple admins on and that the @ requests are abused more often. Minges, who first were called MingeBags, has always been the major problem of every RP server and are hard to defray, but we are trying our best and accusing the admins of not caring for the server is not fair.

Last but not least, the admins are not chosen randomly.. We look at the amount of (recent) bans of a player, activity, RP skills, maturity and so much more. Some poeple's opinion is that people who has been for a long time member of FL, should get admin as reward. Now that's what I call random.
[Image: get.php?s=STEAM_0:1:15472195&b=9]
Make your own dynamic signature by clicking here.
The following 6 users Like SoulRipper's post:
  • Temar, ForceGhost, Serpent Lord, PiqueRoz, StillAlive, Whoop
(02-29-2012, 11:37 AM)Soul Wrote: In the old FL, which is described as a romantic period, there were no admin guidelines, there weren't trials, there weren't clear appointments made between admins, and there weren't even admins from the USA. I honestly think we did nothing but improve the administration team of Fearless.

We didn't need guidelines, the senior staff (Usually Sniper or Killy) spent an afternoon educating the new admin in commands and ban lengths. And I spent two weeks with Sniperwolf in which he asked me to make judgements on punishments for bans and so on, so did Tim, a much better way to school an admin than just leaving them to it for a week and seeing what happens. Appointments? Whut. And Mikey is from the USA?

(02-29-2012, 04:46 PM)Strom Wrote:
(02-29-2012, 11:37 AM)Soul Wrote: In the old FL, which is described as a romantic period, there were no admin guidelines, there weren't trials, there weren't clear appointments made between admins, and there weren't even admins from the USA. I honestly think we did nothing but improve the administration team of Fearless.

We didn't need guidelines, the senior staff (Usually Sniper or Killy) spent an afternoon educating the new admin in commands and ban lengths. And I spent two weeks with Sniperwolf in which he asked me to make judgements on punishments for bans and so on, so did Tim, a much better way to school an admin than just leaving them to it for a week and seeing what happens. Appointments? Whut. And Mikey is from the USA?

We still help and support admins to find their way around, I don't know why you think that we stopped with that. Yes, we have guidelines now, but that's not an alternative, it's extra information for new admins.

(02-29-2012, 05:45 PM)Soul Wrote:
(02-29-2012, 04:46 PM)Strom Wrote:

We still help and support admins to find their way around, I don't know why you think that we stopped with that. Yes, we have guidelines now, but that's not an alternative, it's extra information for new admins.

I'm not saying you did stop, I'm saying whatever has changed be it training or selection of admins has made the admin team less quality more quantity.
I'd have to agree with Storm, despite the old admin team being small, they defently did tick all the right boxes. Like quick responses to requests, situations dealt with professionally etc.

However quantity isn't such a bad thing either, admins that come from different time zones would equal more service throughout the early hours of the morning and late hours through the night.

However I think it would be unfair to kill off all the current admins as their ego's have been too messaged into them thinking they're 'admin material'. And the fact that it hasn't changed despite all negetive feedback on these 'opinions' suggests that it probably won't change.

Sidenote: I know I do no longer play on the Fearless servers but I was still there to see the change in the administrators and the effect on it.

[Image: ezgif_com_save.gif] Oh, Ariana. Stop it, you!
The following 1 user Likes Small Bear's post:
  • Anakonda
(02-29-2012, 11:37 AM)Soul Wrote: Admins are getting chosen democratically by the administration team, which seems for non-admins as a rushed decision, is in reality a well considered decision. An thread in the admin section about new admins we would like to have in our team, is around the same size as this topic. In the whole history of FL there were people who were against certain promotions, who were complaining about admin activity and who had their thoughts about certain admin's qualities. Fact is, that after 4 years, this community is still together and running. I'm not trying to show off with that fact, but I don't know that much communities who has been 'alive' for that period of time.

I think that compared to old admin teams, this admin team is doing a good job. Inappropriate ban reasons has been reduced, ban times are fair and the bans are more objective. In the old FL, which is described as a romantic period, there were no admin guidelines, there weren't trials, there weren't clear appointments made between admins, and there weren't even admins from the USA. I honestly think we did nothing but improve the administration team of Fearless.

Nowadays there are still problems which needs to be solved, and which takes time. A problem for example, the issue regarding the unanswered @ messages really needs to be solved. But it's not like I just say: "Admins be more active". The core of the problem needs to be solved, which is that there are way to many @ messages for an admin to reply to, that it's unclear who answers the @ messages when there are multiple admins on and that the @ requests are abused more often. Minges, who first were called MingeBags, has always been the major problem of every RP server and are hard to defray, but we are trying our best and accusing the admins of not caring for the server is not fair.

Last but not least, the admins are not chosen randomly.. We look at the amount of (recent) bans of a player, activity, RP skills, maturity and so much more. Some poeple's opinion is that people who has been for a long time member of FL, should get admin as reward. Now that's what I call random.

Im going to differ on you for a bit here, and here is why:

As you have stated they, meaning the admins, do vote upon these admin's democratically. Now let's say we had a server wide vote, it would be the same thing just a broader spectrum of a popularity vote. Now sum it back down to what it is now, it's a popularity vote among a smaller vote. My point in saying this is that even if we have a vote democratically among both admins or the players, it is often going to tip popularity over who is qualified. With the exception of a small few, this occurs majority of the time. Though my way of trial may be a bit harsher, I still see the need for harsher trials, as it seems to me that several admins were under-qualified for the job. Honestly, I feel a week is not enough and here is why, its easy to stay good in the minds of the players for a week, once that week is up, it is a lot harder to complain about that admin. Though the majority of admin abuse threads are made by people whom have been banned, there is a high amount of disgruntled players who don't speak their minds. Meaning that if anything were to change for some kind of good. As Storm has stated, there basically thrown into the job, unfortunately caused by this, it passes down the bad habits that other admins have. Such as, but not limited to:

- Not answering @ calls
- Misguided judgement
- Poor administration techniques

Point being, your admins are there to keep the players happy and to prevent you from being overstressed on the job. They are theoretically your employees and without proper management they lack judgement.

Regarding more to the @ calls,
Soul, I will again bring up a situation in game to serve as a demo. Several @ calls are often ignored by too many admins responding to them. Such as Admin A reports to Player A, then Admin B reports to the same player, and so on in a constant loop. You guys now have a TS server, this should solve any communication issues, if used correctly. Better communication will lead to a stronger admin team, as well as community.

All admins have their flaws, but the worst of each whom wont accept their mistakes are often filled with too much pride in regards to consequences. Rid the admins of the job of handing out RP points. RP points are a waste of time and often useless in creating a true RP community. It's easy to realize especially listening in OOC, how many people choose to RP just for it's rewards instead of its true meaning. Sure, they cause a temporary boost within RP, but in time your losing more than is returned back to the community. Therefore if it were me, I would not be interested in RP points or RP moderators. We don't need more positions, we need better quality users. RP points show a misguidance in how well a person's RP skills are rather you need firsthand experiences via admins and players. Video proof performs all the better within the parameters.

Lastly, Im going to have to ask that you implement bamboo stalks inside Evocity. My species of panda requires constant body nourishment from the best that nature can provide.
~Signed by a dissenting Panda

Best Regards,

Wweee2345

The following 5 users Like wweee2345's post:
  • Small Bear, Strom, Ms. Mudpie, Anakonda, Grub
(03-01-2012, 03:18 AM)wweee2345 Wrote: As you have stated they, meaning the admins, do vote upon these admin's democratically. Now let's say we had a server wide vote, it would be the same thing just a broader spectrum of a popularity vote. Now sum it back down to what it is now, it's a popularity vote among a smaller vote. My point in saying this is that even if we have a vote democratically among both admins or the players, it is often going to tip popularity over who is qualified. With the exception of a small few, this occurs majority of the time. Though my way of trial may be a bit harsher, I still see the need for harsher trials, as it seems to me that several admins were under-qualified for the job. Honestly, I feel a week is not enough and here is why, its easy to stay good in the minds of the players for a week, once that week is up, it is a lot harder to complain about that admin. Though the majority of admin abuse threads are made by people whom have been banned, there is a high amount of disgruntled players who don't speak their minds. Meaning that if anything were to change for some kind of good. As Storm has stated, there basically thrown into the job, unfortunately caused by this, it passes down the bad habits that other admins have.

I can't agree with this. Allowing not only admins, but also the community to vote for an admin will lead in a lot of inactive accounts on the forums, that were just created to vote for a friend, will lead to votes only based on popularity and notoriety of people and will give us, admins, less control about who we want to work together with. I think a week is enough to get to know how the basics of administration works, and after this trial week an admin can't just mess around, they know that it will lead into a demotion. I think (without trying to show off) that Fearless has one of the best managed admin teams. We have a lot of guides for admins to read, we have guidelines, we have a code of conduct and we have a lot of conferences about how we can improve the community, ban discussions and so on. The quality of the communication, managing and bans has been brought to a new level in my opinion and experience.

Quote:You guys now have a TS server, this should solve any communication issues, if used correctly. Better communication will lead to a stronger admin team, as well as community.

This might help a bit, but won't solve the whole problem of the unanswered @ messages.

Quote:RP points are a waste of time and often useless in creating a true RP community. It's easy to realize especially listening in OOC, how many people choose to RP just for it's rewards instead of its true meaning.

I rather have people who choose to RP just for it's reward than who doesn't try to RP decently at all. I'm sure that after the introduction of the RP points, the overall roleplay quality has increased a little.

Quote:Sure, they cause a temporary boost within RP, but in time your losing more than is returned back to the community.

Giving RP points doesn't take much time and is a pleasure for an admin to do. We don't have to make time free to get RP points since we reward if we see something nice. In the past we gave the player a compliment, nowadays still, but including a RP point. I don't see that as lost time.

Quote:We don't need more positions, we need better quality users.

Indeed, I think an team of 20 people will be enough at this moment, so I agree that we don't need that much admins anymore. That means we need one more admin, who is already being discussed about by the way.

I do appreciate your opinion and your feedback and will try to make the community a better place for you.
20 people is waaaaaaay too many. Anything between 6-10 staff members is ideal imo.
[Image: P6KNEfH.png]           .       
Steam | Twitter | YouTube
Signature graphic by Barkles
(03-04-2012, 07:59 PM)Sir Raffi Wrote: 20 people is waaaaaaay too many. Anything between 6-10 staff members is ideal imo.

Not for 2 servers, V33 needs more admin support, only one that TP's to me is toast.. FL could definitely use a V33 admin
I try to be on V33 when V2 has at least 1 Admin on.
[Image: Force_Ghost_Signature2.jpg]