Proper FPS era is on the brink of extinction?
(05-18-2013, 12:25 PM)Doomdude1 Wrote:
(05-18-2013, 08:32 AM)GunFISH Wrote: FPS cannot die so to speak, It's just a point of view, there are still good FPS games getting produced and it is not likely to change, saying the genre is dead is ignorant and wrong in my opinion. It's just like saying Video games are dying.

Name 3 hard FPS games that came out in the last year or two and had at least some media coverage.

Define "hard" FPS for me, the problem with this discussion is that it is all very subjective.

But sure I'll give it a go

Planetside 2

Metro : Last Light

Counter-Strike : Global Offensive

FarCry 3

Crysis 3

Dust 514

Dishonored

Bioshock Infinite

And these are only the ones I can just think of at this moment.
The following 3 users Like GunFISH's post:
  • Mahti, Moisty, Gamesdude109
I lost hope in FPS when I bought Max Payne & Farcry, same missions just involving weapons, boring old shit which I've done many times.

Unless someone comes up with a good idea, fast, then it will die out. COD yet again releasing a new game, they're just fucking stupid.
(05-19-2013, 01:18 PM)Joshua X Wrote: I lost hope in FPS when I bought Max Payne & Farcry, same missions just involving weapons, boring old shit which I've done many times.

Unless someone comes up with a good idea, fast, then it will die out. COD yet again releasing a new game, they're just freaking stupid.

Max Payne is not an FPS
Everyone is playing and complaining about new shooters while I am sitting here playing R6: Raven shield.
(05-19-2013, 01:18 PM)Joshua X Wrote: COD yet again releasing a new game, they're just freaking stupid.

Call of Duty: Ghost
Receiver...if you want a real hardcore shooter.
(05-19-2013, 02:12 PM)Doomdude1 Wrote: Receiver...if you want a real hardcore shooter.

Bitch, I play the older version with the original mechanics XD
(05-19-2013, 02:12 PM)Doomdude1 Wrote: Receiver...if you want a real hardcore shooter.

Not a proper game though, it's more of an experiment for different mechanics.
The following 1 user Likes GunFISH's post:
  • Gamesdude109
Define "hard" FPS for me, the problem with this discussion is that it is all very subjective.

But sure I'll give it a go

Planetside 2 - So So

Metro : Last Light - Disapponted sequel for me

Counter-Strike : Global Offensive - not as good as expected

FarCry 3 - Amazing

Crysis 3 - Worse than Crysis 2. Boring and repetitive as hell

Dust 514 - nah...

Dishonored - not exactly what you would call FPS

Bioshock Infinite - ok...

And these are only the ones I can just think of at this moment.
[/quote]
(05-19-2013, 06:32 PM)Dr Tomorrow Wrote: -snip-

Again, and this just proves what I said earlier, that it's a subjective subject. Everyone has different tastes and definitions of what an FPS is.

This is why I don't believe it's a dying genre, simply that you don't enjoy Planetside 2, Metro, CS:GO or whatever does not mean that others don't.

So sure FPS might be dying for you on a personal level.