Proper FPS era is on the brink of extinction?
*Note the PROPER FPS*

Hello dear FearLissians

This topic was going around my head for a good while now
And I am curious to know what you think about it

I used to be a great FPS fan, and am on the edge right now for whether I am going to continue with playing (or just being interested) that genre of video games
Until today, when I played the Metro Last Light, this came into my head.
Era of FPSes is dying
There is just no more fun in playing any of them

Look around
There are loads of FPS games riveting (don't know exact verb for that) and none of them have new or better or exclusive features. Even if it is a stealth/FPS game, it has nothing new. It doesn't differ much (in terms of game(play) mechanics). It is something we see nearly in every FPS coming since 2010-2011. And most of great FPS series end up just like CoD, which you probably all know perfectly what I am talking about.

My only hope is still hanging on these next games which always differ, and these games, still holding me off from abandoning FPS genre:
Halo, Far Cry and Half Life, in a hope that they will not stop amazing us with their sequels

I am starting to lose hope in a video game genre that I have started with, since I was a little kid

So what you think?
Will Proper FPS genre with fun to play gameplay, is on the brink of extinction?
Will that be on hold for years, until the developers will come up with greater ideas to reborn that genre?
Or is it doomed?

The way I see that right now is "go there, shoot everyone in this corridor, kewl cutscene, shoot, shoot, shoot, another cutscene, shoot"
but d 1337 quickzhotz n0sc0pz mum insultz iz fuunz!

But in reality, the genre is on it's death-bed. The main reason for that is the constant over-protection of the younger players, which eventually had lead to easier games. Hardcore games are dying a bit, each day.
Like you said Metro, Far Cry and Half life are some of the only FPS games that have been made in recent years that I have enjoyed. Although I do play Call of duty from time to time the multiplayer is very hard to enjoy when everyone is a 5 year old repeatedly screaming profanities into his cheap microphone.
[Image: get.php?s=STEAM_0:0:39969344&b=7]
Go fourth mighty Euro Truck Simulator warrior, run them down. Unleash your wrath upon the pedestrians. For the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear.
Right now I am looking at a pile of CoD discs that are lying in my room and I am asking myself "why the fück did I even bother to buy any of these after Black Ops?"
I have always been a FPS fan, and i still am but CoD has been so much worser after Black Ops that i got tired of playing it. Since then I mostly play gmod, css and all that stuff.

I will probably buy Metro Last Night soon depends if it's a good game.
(05-17-2013, 07:18 PM)Weecow Wrote: I have always been a FPS fan, and i still am but CoD has been so much worser after Black Ops that i got tired of playing it. Since then I mostly play gmod, css and all that stuff.

I will probably buy Metro Last Night soon depends if it's a good game.

I already played it
It's stealth has suffered a bit to be honest
So I placed it 7,5/10 in Amazon reviews

I'd prefer watching more gameplays first to think more carefully on that one
The only FPS game I'm looking forward to that is yet to be released is Half Life 2 Episode 3 and a possible Star Wars Battlefront 3. Ofc the next Elderscrolls game (Not Online) I'm also looking forward to (Considering it is a Hybrid between FPS and Third person.
I lost interest in FPS games. Mostly because it tends to be the same, overproduced ****.

Yes... I am talking about Call of Duty.
Regards,
aviator
FPS cannot die so to speak, It's just a point of view, there are still good FPS games getting produced and it is not likely to change, saying the genre is dead is ignorant and wrong in my opinion. It's just like saying Video games are dying.
The following 1 user Likes GunFISH's post:
  • Gamesdude109
(05-18-2013, 08:32 AM)GunFISH Wrote: FPS cannot die so to speak, It's just a point of view, there are still good FPS games getting produced and it is not likely to change, saying the genre is dead is ignorant and wrong in my opinion. It's just like saying Video games are dying.

Name 3 hard FPS games that came out in the last year or two and had at least some media coverage.
The following 1 user Likes DoomDude1's post:
  • Dr Tomorrow