Regarding racism/homophobia, staff punishments vs player punishments, etc.
(12-05-2012, 05:00 PM)NycDude66 Wrote: I do agree with the fact that if you get offended then you shouldn't be playing. I am pretty sure if someone called another person a (Homophobic word here) I wouldn't be offended, if it was meant seriously or directly aimed at me with the meaning of the word there than why wouldn't you get offended, now on the internet it is hard to tell if the person really 'meant' it, where as, face to face you can hear the expression of their voice and their body language. I think that although words have meanings, if you don't actually know the person, nor does it affect your life (Outside of the game, eg: School) then offence shouldn't be taken, it is the internet after all.

I don't want this to change your opinions of me, but I just think getting seriously offended is not entirely needed over the internet (Unless the person you know in real life, but isn't meant in a joking way).

The term 'Freedom of Speech' and many other 'Human Rights' all contradict each other, for example, Freedom of speech would imply that racism is allowed, but another human right is that people should NOT be insulted for their race, faith, sexuality, gender etc.

(I DO NOT condone racism in the sentence above).

When FL had these things allowed(Much better that time) The hate speech which was used that time was nothing compared to many websites. Everyone knew that that people didn't really mean it, it was used for RP, and people could RP many many more things then now.

Then the easily offended people start joining FL and became butthurt. They obviously haven't been on the internet before, and from that time FL became more and more non-funny. It was too limited..
Why is it that easy to be offended when you know it's not true. Pro tip: stop taking every freaking word so serious.
It just some silly meaningless words, gosh.
Why ban people for so long time for saying a freaking word? that's so overrated.

There should be added some sorta of a warning sign on the loading screen which says: WARNING THIS SERVER CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE.
The following 2 users Like PrivateToast's post:
  • Fleet Admiral Zapington, Prosto
(12-05-2012, 07:51 PM)Zzzzap Wrote: -snip-

I wasn't talking about when you are doing it with a friend, I was in fact responding to Toast's response about hate speech not being a crime. In regards to the last quote, yeah I don't really know where I was going with that; ignore it.

You clearly did end up insulting someone as this fiasco occurred. Of course it wasn't intentional and in my opinion it was an overreaction but I see both sides.
I know it is a joke, I do it constantly at school and with friends but you have to understand some demographics may be offended by certain language and obviously if it becomes a direct rant/insult at someone as opposed to a meme/joke with a friend that is when problems occur.

At the end of the day, you used a popular meme as a joke with your friend. Someone reacted to it, in a over the top fashion if I am being blunt, and thus this whole scenario occurred.

The rules are to prevent this situation and here is how I see why. You have two scenarios as we have witnessed. One is the 'joke' scenario where no-one is directly trying to insult another person and we have the 'insulting' scenario where someone is intentionally trying to insult someone due to their race,gender,skin colour whatever.

Of course, we could have a system whereby each and every case is handled separately; evaluating the context of the situation. This, however, would be time consuming and perhaps ineffective as either side (The 'offender' and the 'offended') may not be happy with the result.

The alternative system, the one we currently have, prohibits ALL forms of language that could be interpreted as 'insulting'. Now of course I understand that most of the time they're used lightly and not meant to offend anyone but sometimes they do and it is much simpler to simply prevent ALL forms instead of picking and choosing which situation it is acceptable and which situation it isn't; this inevitably suffers from things such as favouritism, bias, one's own interpretation of offence etc.

In short, it is easier to have a system whereby no forms of racism etc. are allowed then to have this 'pick and choose' system.
No, it's not easier to prevent it.
So many new people join FL who use the N and F word daily in a non discriminating way, and when they join FL and say it they get long bans. It's just unfair. It's not meant to discriminate anyone as I stated in earlier posts.
The following 4 users Like Fleet Admiral Zapington's post:
  • PrivateToast, Biowulf, Slick Rick, Prosto
(12-05-2012, 08:08 PM)Adman Wrote:
(12-05-2012, 07:51 PM)Zzzzap Wrote: -snip-

I wasn't talking about when you are doing it with a friend, I was in fact responding to Toast's response about hate speech not being a crime. In regards to the last quote, yeah I don't really know where I was going with that; ignore it.

You clearly did end up insulting someone as this fiasco occurred. Of course it wasn't intentional and in my opinion it was an overreaction but I see both sides.
I know it is a joke, I do it constantly at school and with friends but you have to understand some demographics may be offended by certain language and obviously if it becomes a direct rant/insult at someone as opposed to a meme/joke with a friend that is when problems occur.

At the end of the day, you used a popular meme as a joke with your friend. Someone reacted to it, in a over the top fashion if I am being blunt, and thus this whole scenario occurred.

The rules are to prevent this situation and here is how I see why. You have two scenarios as we have witnessed. One is the 'joke' scenario where no-one is directly trying to insult another person and we have the 'insulting' scenario where someone is intentionally trying to insult someone due to their race,gender,skin colour whatever.

Of course, we could have a system whereby each and every case is handled separately; evaluating the context of the situation. This, however, would be time consuming and perhaps ineffective as either side (The 'offender' and the 'offended') may not be happy with the result.

The alternative system, the one we currently have, prohibits ALL forms of language that could be interpreted as 'insulting'. Now of course I understand that most of the time they're used lightly and not meant to offend anyone but sometimes they do and it is much simpler to simply prevent ALL forms instead of picking and choosing which situation it is acceptable and which situation it isn't; this inevitably suffers from things such as favouritism, bias, one's own interpretation of offence etc.

In short, it is easier to have a system whereby no forms of racism etc. are allowed then to have this 'pick and choose' system.

There should be added something new for CityRP; Settings, where you can enable like 3 different forms of filtering.

1. Totaly filtered where all these kind of words be censored
2. Semi filtered where the worse of these kinds of words will be censored
3. No filter (18+ this mode will not censor any strong content)
The following 1 user Likes PrivateToast's post:
  • 7rozen_7ear_
As I said, it's not easier to prevent it. It's easier and better to remove all the limits from people on FL.
Just like in WoW. Ability to Enable/disable a mature language filter would be good.
The following 2 users Like Biowulf's post:
  • PrivateToast, Slick Rick
(12-05-2012, 08:13 PM)Zzzzap Wrote: So many new people join FL who use the N and F word daily in a non discriminating way, and when they join FL and say it they get long bans. It's just unfair. It's not meant to discriminate anyone as I stated in earlier posts.

That, I guess, is where the context has to come in. Clearly if they're unaware of the 'harshness' involved in FL's way of dealing with in then perhaps a warning is more sufficient.

At the end of the day, I can't argue it sufficiently, I have no data or anything to go on; a trial would be best.

The filter seen above doesn't sound like a bad idea either, similar to how the PM currently doesn't allow certain words to be sent.
Should be a sign on the loading screen where it says: IF YOU GET OFFENDED EASILY, FUCK OFF."
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
The following 1 user Likes Haarek's post:
  • Nadrickk
These are our rules and they have to be followed.
[Image: get.php?s=STEAM_0:1:15472195&b=9]
Make your own dynamic signature by clicking here.
The following 1 user Likes SoulRipper's post:
  • aviator
What needs to be established is the difference between an insult and offensive.