Regarding racism/homophobia, staff punishments vs player punishments, etc.
Evenin all,

A few people have recently complained on these matters so I thought I'd clear things up. First off, quick reminder, due to some of our members getting offended racism and homophobia is not allowed on our servers or forum, and it is punisheable. However, it is worth noting that there have been cases when people have taken things way too far and punishments were unjust - For example, in the past someone was banned for 'homophobia' after talking about cigarettes, meaning cigarettes, on the server - He was British. Someone got offended and the admin banned. I talked to the banning admin and undid the ban, and while the person was too easily offended in my opinion, I did speak to the British chap and advised him on what to do differently.

Where I'm leading here is a lot of people here don't distinguish between offence and other uses - There was very recently a thread where an admin called a fellow admin a *** as part of a joke, and someone got offended. I'm not defending the admins responses to this person, as they went too far with trolling and should know better, and they've been spoken too. However, if you are offended, you should really privately contact another admin as opposed to voice it out in the thread, it just leads to more problems for everyone involved. The admin initially posting in this thread was spoken to and advised on his actions, and he realizes that he shouldn't have posted what he did - Nevertheless, we (the administrative team) also realize that it was just a joke from a meme and was not meant offensively at all. Therefore there will be no severe punishment.

I say that because there have been questions raised regarding differences in punishment between admin and player. Yes, there are going to be differences, deal with it, and we're not trying to discriminate against you, it's simply because they are in a completely different position. They've made it to a trusted position so we do have more trust in them, but we also realize they should know better than the majority of players. If you're not in an admin position many SA decisions regarding admin punishments may seem totally unfair, or far too lenient, but this is not the case. I was a completely fair system for all players and admins, which I often argue with fellow admins about to continually enforce this, but you have to realize there are differences between admin and player punishments. It's not discrimination. Everyone gets treated the same on a base level, but then you have to take into account their actions. If you feel this is not the case, feel free to PM me, we can discuss it and I'll take any concerns into consideration.

A lot of the time when certain players see something they aren't happy with, they often don't understand the reasoning behind it. Othertimes, they're completely right and we've acted out of proportion. But instead of talking with me or another SA, action is often taken on the forums and this causes lots of fallout. I'm perfectly happy to reconsider decisions and actions after discussion with players.

Faustie
Superadministrator
The following 10 users Like Faustie's post:
  • Dr Tomorrow, Dubwub, Catkillerfive, Nuka, DoomDude1, Mahti, aviator, DarkN00b, Holdem, Narc
Well
At least it is all explained now
(12-03-2012, 06:18 PM)Faustie Wrote: Where I'm leading here is a lot of people here don't distinguish between offence and other uses - There was very recently a thread where an admin called a fellow admin a *** as part of a joke, and someone got offended. I'm not defending the admins responses to this person, as they went too far with trolling and should know better, and they've been spoken too. However, if you are offended, you should really privately contact another admin as opposed to voice it out in the thread, it just leads to more problems for everyone involved. The admin initially posting in this thread was spoken to and advised on his actions, and he realizes that he shouldn't have posted what he did - Nevertheless, we (the administrative team) also realize that it was just a joke from a meme and was not meant offensively at all. Therefore there will be no severe punishment.

Faustie
Superadministrator

If this is me, then i really caused some bad sh*t by saying that....
Nuka
Modelling/Texturing Contributor
It just words...
The following 1 user Likes PrivateToast's post:
  • Andreas
(12-04-2012, 04:23 PM)PrivateToast Wrote: It just words...

Actually, that's not right.
Words have a meaning and so does everything behind them. I sure hope you realize that or else you're really going to have a bad time.
Are we players supposed to report homophobia (even the small cases) to a SA?

Like a player saying "You ***" Etc. Do you want us to report this to the SA or do we just let it be.

I understand if it's a big case put these small cases.
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
(12-04-2012, 04:31 PM)StillAlive Wrote:

Words have a meaning and so does everything behind them. I sure hope you realize that or else you're really going to have a bad time.

Yes. This ^.
Nuka

Those people who find the words offensive why are they even on the internet then...
This is so contradictory. I doubt half of the people are offended whenever a word like "cigarette" or "gay" are used. I mean if you cant hand those words you honestly shouldnt be on the internet like Toast said. But words such as the "N" word should be 100% not allowed.

The only time they should be enforced is if the person that is reporting it is the one being called it. No third person getting offended. Example if someone calls me a "cigarette or gay" I dont think say Toast should be reporting it. I feel I should deem if I was offended or not.

If it isnt directed towards you why care honestly? (Unless the person that was called the name takes offence)
(12-04-2012, 07:55 PM)PrivateToast Wrote:

Those people who find the words offensive why are they even on the internet then...

Internet wasn't made for that, and stop using ...
Nuka