Fusion of Teacher and Moderator
Disclaimer: this is a discussion, an idea I came up with that we must discuss here due to forum rules.

Description
This would be an update that results in the removal of teacher and moderator and the addition of a new role: an amalgamation of the two.

This new role, that I want to call 'Helper' (or something alike as it's rather appropriate with their job), will have the ability to blacklist for up to three hours, kick, no-clip and give RPP. The ability to phase will be removed as it is more of a duty for a member of staff who's main priority is to enforce the rules, which phasing assists.

The main role of this Helper is to promote RP, assist new-comers and experienced players alike, and to also assist the staff team if there are little online or due to the fact they are generally busy. Their main duty is not to enforce the rules - they will not be a part of the staff team, just a group of trusted and mature members of the community that deserve the role. They should only use their powers in an emergency or extenuating circumstances as they should try to keep things IC and promote roleplay as I've said previously.

This role will be accessible through both application and suggestion; the first due to the fact that there are people that could be a good applicant and would appreciate the opportunity to explain why they deserve the role, to which the administrative team would consider. And the second as the team themselves my consider someone who would do a good job who didn't decide to create an application - whether they want to accept the offer or not, it's up to them.

Oh, and they'd get the good old orange physgun back.

Why
I've heard a lot of players getting fed up with both the teacher and moderator roles, saying it's a waste and they want it removed to which I don't understand. They're good roles and they can provide a lot to the server, given the appropriate candidates are selected/apply for the position.

This way, people who genuinely like to help and deserve the role can apply for it and if the staff team want to suggest a player to be promoted, they can either suggest them for this role or straight to TA if they feel like this would be a waste. Everyone is better at some things than others. Some are better helpers; others are better administrators.

Why waste over a month's time on someone sitting on moderator when they'd be a perfect administrator? To answer that question, they shouldn't be. The Trial Administrator role is there for a reason: to test the trustability of a hopefully worthy candidate before the team believes they are ready for the full administrative role. Don't say that the moderator is an extra step for the trust test: the best staff teams were around without this three-step program.

-

There can be variations to this suggestion, of course, if it gets approved. It doesn't have to be like this right down to the bone, but you get the gist.
If you agree, feel free to add any other ideas or criticise any of mine above.
If you disagree, please provide a detailed reason as to why you are and what could improve the possible implementation of this idea regardless.
The following 6 users Like Grape's post:
  • Wolven, konsta, Fudge, RoCKy, Flame.., Spartan_KCT
The suggestion was bombarded with +Supports in minutes without a single -Support, a teacher even expressed his support, up until it was closed for "unwanted suggestion" by a weeb developer, just when I was about to post my support. I think there should be some thoughts and considerations into this.
No, that’s a stupid idea.

If anything remove the mod rank and promote people to trial admin, then in 1-2 weeks you can either promote or demote them. That was also the original idea in 2010-2013, that was also the idea when it got re-introduced in 2017.

It’s got nothing to do with teachers.
The following 1 user Likes Jan's post:
  • Mist
(12-02-2019, 05:55 PM)Jan Wrote: No, that’s a stupid idea.

If anything remove the mod rank and promote people to trial admin, then in 1-2 weeks you can either promote or demote them. That was also the original idea in 2010-2013, that was also the idea when it got re-introduced in 2017.

Care to explain why is it a stupid idea?
The following 1 user Likes konsta's post:
  • Spartan_KCT
I think teachers are fine as they are right now and don't need administrative powers. It also doesn't make much sense to give a role administrative powers and not have them on the team too. If the issue is people taking too long to get promoted up the chain, just remove moderator.

This entire suggestion just feels like mod with the ability to apply for it.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
(12-02-2019, 05:55 PM)Jan Wrote: No, that’s a stupid idea.

I understand that this suggestion is not the most detrimental thing to come up with that will automatically fix the server. In no way am I saying that. However, it'll still be good for the server. It is a suggestion after all, what's wrong with that? Nothing.

I also agree that the TA time period should be decreased slightly but maybe not as much so it's down to two weeks. This will still allow the candidate to be on their trial period long enough for the staff team to make their final decision. Maybe one month? Seems good to me.

Most importantly, however, is that this suggestion I made has nothing to do with the staff team itself. I'm specifically looking at the teacher rank. You want moderator removed, with this it is removed. Has it got nothing to do with teachers, as you say? That's removed too!!!

It's a new rank that allows people who want to help, to help. And allows people who don't want to administrate, to not administrate. Also allowing them to help some staff in an emergency or extenuating circumstances. It has the best of both worlds for the current roles that exist whilst also allowing people to go straight to TA as you want.

This suggestion addresses and fulfills your desires, yet, isn't even about admins at all. Pretty good aye?
There is no point
I believe that if helpers were ever to be a thing, then they should be chosen and offered by the staff, rather than an apply for kind of a deal.
teachers are in a good place in terms of power
don't think needs changing a moment
can't say much for mods
[Image: zypxjb7.jpg]
I would rather see the Moderator rank removed as it’s run its course in my opinion. Keep the Teacher rank however.

I don’t see a reason to combine the two; it’s silly.

[Image: jUcv1hb.png]