Future of FL/ FL Dying (18/75)
(10-01-2019, 07:32 PM)Conn Wrote:
(10-01-2019, 07:29 PM)Midget Wrote: I think daily rewards is good in theory but in practice it is redundant. It is not the fact that FL cannot make people stay, it is very apparent that when a player has first gotten the first few hours he will accumulate many more in the following weeks.

I don't think it is going to tackle the problem and merely a short-sighted solution.

You keep mentioning that we need to reduce content sizes, but I think that stripping stuff we already have is pointless, because a lot of it is used. The downloads come from workshop mainly, and there's really not a shitton of content compared to some of the DarkRP servers I've seen that have every pack under the sun.

Baby-steps, it's not possible to do everything at once, and something that might even bring a few more players on every day isn't a bad thing?

It is not the concept of 'stripping' content that first comes to mind when suggesting such a matter. 

Reducing content size can also be replacing high polygon models with models that are already downloaded when you install the game. Not only are you reducing content size but increasing performance. 

"...stripping stuff that we already have is pointless, because a lot of it is used."
This sentence doesn't make a lot of sense. 
Stripping stuff that we already have? Are you implying that the only thing that is not pointless is stripping stuff that we DON'T have?

It also goes without saying that if we we're to 'strip' anything in the first place, it would be content that was not being used...

"The downloads come from workshop mainly, and there's really not a shitton of content compared to some of the DarkRP servers I've seen that have every pack under the sun."

Here you are comparing DarkRP content size to our size and expecting it to be a valid argument. A DarkRP server with a lot of content should not be your benchmark for evaluating how big our content size should be.

Keep in mind that a lot of people do not have good internet connections. What might take a short time for you to download might take 30 - 60 minutes for someone else. Therefore reducing and maintaining the lowest possible content size is important and something that I know Soul agrees on.
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
(10-02-2019, 11:50 AM)Midget Wrote:
(10-01-2019, 07:32 PM)Conn Wrote:
(10-01-2019, 07:29 PM)Midget Wrote: I think daily rewards is good in theory but in practice it is redundant. It is not the fact that FL cannot make people stay, it is very apparent that when a player has first gotten the first few hours he will accumulate many more in the following weeks.

I don't think it is going to tackle the problem and merely a short-sighted solution.

You keep mentioning that we need to reduce content sizes, but I think that stripping stuff we already have is pointless, because a lot of it is used. The downloads come from workshop mainly, and there's really not a shitton of content compared to some of the DarkRP servers I've seen that have every pack under the sun.

Baby-steps, it's not possible to do everything at once, and something that might even bring a few more players on every day isn't a bad thing?

It is not the concept of 'stripping' content that first comes to mind when suggesting such a matter. 

Reducing content size can also be replacing high polygon models with models that are already downloaded when you install the game. Not only are you reducing content size but increasing performance. 

"...stripping stuff that we already have is pointless, because a lot of it is used."
This sentence doesn't make a lot of sense. 
Stripping stuff that we already have? Are you implying that the only thing that is not pointless is stripping stuff that we DON'T have?

It also goes without saying that if we we're to 'strip' anything in the first place, it would be content that was not being used...

"The downloads come from workshop mainly, and there's really not a shitton of content compared to some of the DarkRP servers I've seen that have every pack under the sun."

Here you are comparing DarkRP content size to our size and expecting it to be a valid argument. A DarkRP server with a lot of content should not be your benchmark for evaluating how big our content size should be.

Keep in mind that a lot of people do not have good internet connections. What might take a short time for you to download might take 30 - 60 minutes for someone else. Therefore reducing and maintaining the lowest possible content size is important and something that I know Soul agrees on.

Have started to discuss this with some other devs, who say that there's plenty of content that could be removed or stripped. This would be an extremely big task, though, but its worth having a look at for sure.
Regards,
Connnnnnnn

Consider giving me a rep point here.

I have brought this up before and I'll gladly do it again.

One of the main issues is the staff, which we all already know about.
They're lacking in experience, skill, competence, quality and even quantity at the time of writing this.

Bring in applications. Let the dedicated ones show their determination. Instead of picking up rotten apples into your basket with nurturing ones that'll eventually turn rotten as well due to how poor these apples are picked up. Let the apples come to you. Get a good look at them, and see which ones are the ones that shine the most.

Almost every thriving big gaming community, GMod communities for example, does this and they have a great bunch of staff. They were picked up, not because of some biased admins that seemed to like them, but because they were reviewed carefully.

FL is at a turning point, and I will ensure that it'll improve the quality of the staff.

(Not doing this for the meme for once. I genuinely want FL to overcome this.)
The following 2 users Like Mist's post:
  • Conn, Lewwings
Best to just let it die a slow death, nobody with real authority on FL is seriously interested in reviving it, it seems.
(10-01-2019, 10:10 PM)SoulRipper Wrote:
(10-01-2019, 10:02 PM)ryan! Wrote: New updates won't fix FL. Pretending like that is the problem is so god awfully retarded it's hard to even read it anymore. FL needs to be seen easier on the Gmod gamemodes list. Adding LL and FL to the same game mode or adding FL to the DarkRP game mode are the only fixes that will ever actually change anything. Shitting on the Devs for not enough makes you look brain dead and it makes me want to throw up when I read the shit.

I agree with you on visibility. Back in the days there was a simple server browser where you could sort on players.
The most popular servers would be above. We've been the 2nd most popular server for ages, and the 1st most popular server for a few weeks (source: gametracker).

However when Gmod13 was released, it was clustered in categories. Meaning DarkRP and other public gamemodes would be on top, since there would be loads of servers running them, which increases their player count.

Edit: If we get into the DarkRP category, we will get many new players, but those players are used to a gameplay that we would be calling: 'messing around'.

Would probably say that around 90% of the players at Fearless started off with "messing around" as almost 90% of the players have minimum 1 ban/blacklist.

What is important here is that when a new player decides to join us, it's where the leadership of our team needs to develop this player into something good, which is basically why we have teachers. Most of our teachers needs to be able to do this - either help this person by roleplaying, hanging out, or just show the new person around the community - to make sure that this new player can settle WELL, and develop into a proper roleplayer.

It's very much about taking a responsibility as a member, the administrators are there to get rid of the players who are ruining the experience for others, the teachers are there to TEACH, there's a very small percentage of teachers who have been doing it the right way (other than /help).

I had a lot of players who made me become a good roleplayer - due to them being role models for me in the beginning.

Once we have proper leadership - everything will change.
The following 4 users Like Kevin's post:
  • Conn, ELAD, Dimitris, Lewwings
(10-02-2019, 08:33 PM)Kevin Wrote:
(10-01-2019, 10:02 PM)ryan! Wrote: New updates won't fix FL. Pretending like that is the problem is so god awfully retarded it's hard to even read it anymore. FL needs to be seen easier on the Gmod gamemodes list. Adding LL and FL to the same game mode or adding FL to the DarkRP game mode are the only fixes that will ever actually change anything. Shitting on the Devs for not enough makes you look brain dead and it makes me want to throw up when I read the shit.

I agree with you on visibility. Back in the days there was a simple server browser where you could sort on players.
The most popular servers would be above. We've been the 2nd most popular server for ages, and the 1st most popular server for a few weeks (source: gametracker).

However when Gmod13 was released, it was clustered in categories. Meaning DarkRP and other public gamemodes would be on top, since there would be loads of servers running them, which increases their player count.

Edit: If we get into the DarkRP category, we will get many new players, but those players are used to a gameplay that we would be calling: 'messing around'.

Would probably say that around 90% of the players at Fearless started off with "messing around" as almost 90% of the players have minimum 1 ban/blacklist.

What is important here is that when a new player decides to join us, it's where the leadership of our team needs to develop this player into something good, which is basically why we have teachers. Most of our teachers needs to be able to do this - either help this person by roleplaying, hanging out, or just show the new person around the community - to make sure that this new player can settle WELL, and develop into a proper roleplayer.

It's very much about taking a responsibility as a member, the administrators are there to get rid of the players who are ruining the experience for others, the teachers are there to TEACH, there's a very small percentage of teachers who have been doing it the right way (other than /help).

I had a lot of players who made me become a good roleplayer - due to them being role models for me in the beginning.

Well said Kevin, couldn't agree more.

[Image: jUcv1hb.png]

I agree, what we need right now is a team of 3 SA's that can manage and organise the staff/dev team.
The following 1 user Likes Dimitris's post:
  • Conn

But some people are never given a chance, there is many more factors to what you're saying, whilst i agree, it is much deeper as you make out.

It all boils down to poor management, and certain people having an influence on others when it shouldnt be that way.
perqe
Donator

[Image: PywvXUS.gif]
The following 1 user Likes don's post:
  • Mist
(10-02-2019, 03:57 PM)Mist Wrote: I have brought this up before and I'll gladly do it again.

They're lacking in experience, skill, competence, quality and even quantity at the time of writing this.

Bring in applications. Let the dedicated ones show their determination. Instead of picking up rotten apples into your basket with nurturing ones that'll eventually turn rotten as well due to how poor these apples are picked up. Let the apples come to you. Get a good look at them, and see which ones are the ones that shine the most.

Almost every thriving big gaming community, GMod communities for example, does this and they have a great bunch of staff. They were picked up, not because of some biased admins that seemed to like them, but because they were reviewed carefully.

FL is at a turning point, and I will ensure that it'll improve the quality of the staff.

I think this is just a horrible take. What is the admin team doing that is actively hurting the server? Yeah they aren't good, but if we demote all of them and promote the best admins in the world that doesn't stop the fact that only 20 care to get on the servers everyday. Shitting on Devs and admins is the ez brain dead approach trying to fix FL. It is almost 100% the visibility of the server. Every other take is almost completely useless and wrong. 

The only conversation that should be going on here is whether or not going to DarkRP is something the community is okay with, or if they would rather have the server die. Those are the 2 very clear and easy options.
[Image: SEYlcy8.png]
The following 1 user Likes ryan!'s post:
  • Haarek
(10-02-2019, 10:14 PM)ryan! Wrote:
(10-02-2019, 03:57 PM)Mist Wrote: I have brought this up before and I'll gladly do it again.

I think this is just a horrible take. What is the admin team doing that is actively hurting the server? Yeah they aren't good, but if we demote all of them and promote the best admins in the world that doesn't stop the fact that only 20 care to get on the servers everyday. Shitting on Devs and admins is the ez brain dead approach trying to fix FL. It is almost 100% the visibility of the server. Every other take is almost completely useless and wrong. 

The only conversation that should be going on here is whether or not going to DarkRP is something the community is okay with, or if they would rather have the server die. Those are the 2 very clear and easy options.

Good to see someone is at least using some brain power
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
The following 1 user Likes Haarek's post:
  • ryan!