Off duty administrators
Hey everyone,

Im posting this here since i saw a suggestion about having 'offduty administrators' as an option for the admin team. Basicly, administrators can, when they join the server or have administered for a while, typ a certain command after which theyll become 'off duty'. 
Offduty administrators dont have to respond to @ calls or punish rulebreakers and can RP without being interupted.

I was very enthousiastic about the suggestion but it was removed before i could reply to it. My reply was as followed, it will hopefully explain my point a little bit more.
(already typed it out but when i pressed 'reply' it gave me the notifaction that the thread didnt exist anymore feels bad man.)

'Major +Support.

We’ve already established that the team is currently too small. Multiple administrators have stated that they dont bother with RPing anymore because they are constantly interupted by @ calls and i completely understand that this is a huge blow for their motivation for the server. In the end we all came to this server to RP and in my opinion its impossible to ask from them to stay motivated if they cant join something what we all came here to do, to RP.

Give administrators some sort of command, /offduty or something in which case theyll lose their administrative privilages and their star. They are a normal player at that point and shouldnt be asked to administrate or assist in calls. We, as a community, should be accepting the fact that administrators want to RP as well and that we shouldnt shame them for it with “omg why are you ignoring me!! Do your job”.

The current team is too small for this and that issue should be resolved first but im a strong believer that this suggestion will give us more motivated, involved administrators which in turn will result in higher quality administrating on the server, delaying the well known 'burned out, inactive administrator'

Do you agree, disagree and more importantly, why?
Bit DarkRP-y

I think this should be implemented in some sort of way, admins need proper shifts, to be decided internally, and if you can't do X amount of shifts a month maybe it's time to step down.
[Image: 2D3jDlq.png]
(08-19-2018, 06:50 PM)SJ. Wrote: Bit DarkRP-y

I think this should be implemented in some sort of way, admins need proper shifts, to be decided internally, and if you can't do X amount of shifts a month maybe it's time to step down.

DarkRP doesnt only have bad stuff. It arent servers i would play on but not everything on those servers is something to avoid. 

I think those shifts become much harder to do when you dont have the time to participate in the main reason why you became active and enthousiastic about the server. I agree with you that they still should have a minimum amount of effort they should put in administrating, but once that 'quota' is met they should be able to RP freely once they wish.
So like they type !onduty and then it comes up (ADMIN) name has gone on duty

and !offduty to go off and it says (ADMIN) name has gone off duty
The following 1 user Likes User 19014's post:
  • Baskingner
Even if it's not visable, a command to toggle admin features on or off isn't a bad idea. It will be logged and admins would be expected to have it off during raids or other rp sits.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
The idea of a certain amount of time per month ain't so bad, it's something like 25 hours over at Limelight, and it's a good idea. You just need a HR with backbone to enforce it (which is why it's semi-failing at LL).

However, "timeslots" is a terrible idea, admins should not be forced to come on, but more out of free will, but still having their time on per month adding up to the "minimum hour requirement" per month idea.

[Image: jUcv1hb.png]

Don't like the idea at all.

We're here to balance both administrating and roleplaying. If we can't respond to something right away then another staff member should pick it up when they can. I understand at the moment this may not be the case as there have been complaints about the team but adding a on/off duty does not help at all.

There is no need for us to toggle our powers on or off, you either use them to handle a sit or general admin business or don't use them at all and be just like a regular player. Just because we have easy access to powers doesn't give us more of an advantage or make us any better.
The following 10 users Like DVN's post:
  • Lewwings, Link, Aektek, Zecon, Dragnort_, mintblackbeard, SJ., Grunt, Janzo 火, Zona
Hell yes.

I was always going to resign around the time that I did because of exams, but the absence of this feature catalysed it to occur sooner.

Since joining FL, I have had a few rps that I have always wanted to do but have never had the chance to. One of these was a tailor RP, a hobby I am greatly interested in IRL.

I spent many hours building this magnificent tailor shop dupe on v5p, and after much procrastination, finally found time to use it with a close friend of mine.

In the two hours I was 'doing' that RP, I probably only had about 10 minutes cumulative RP time. This is because that as soon as I had done one @ call, another would start.

As an administrator you have to prioritise doing your job first over anything else that may be happening IC. It is what you were chosen for and is the sacrifice you acknowledged when you accepted the role.

I felt it was unfair that my partner was having to deal with all of the customers, so I dedicated a 5 minute period to helping him out. During this time, many people were flagging me down in ooc and Steam complaining that I wasn't responding to them and doing my job properly.

This slightly upset me and put me in a low mood as it left me with a choice to either carry on with the RP or ignore those in need. I decided to close the tailor shop and complete the @ calls, finally realising that being able to do both well was close to impossible.

It was the first time I had attempted to RP like this since I had become a TA. I just wanted one session where I could be a player. Going undercover was unfair to the rest of the server, and no other staff were online at the time to cover me when I was RPing.

Staff shouldn't be punished for wanting some time off once and a while because, after all, it still is a pretty stressy position sometimes despite the great support you have from the rest of the team.
Kind Regards,
Link
Veteran

The following 1 user Likes Link's post:
  • Baskingner
(08-19-2018, 08:17 PM)DVN Wrote: Don't like the idea at all.

We're here to balance both administrating and roleplaying. If we can't respond to something right away then another staff member should pick it up when they can. I understand at the moment this may not be the case as there have been complaints about the team but adding a on/off duty does not help at all.

There is no need for us to toggle our powers on or off, you either use them to handle a sit or general admin business or don't use them at all and be just like a regular player. Just because we have easy access to powers doesn't give us more of an advantage or make us any better.

Link explained my point perfectly. I rather have an administrator who does his job 50% of the time, and RP's the other half and as a result doesnt become inactive after getting the admin rank but rather staying active as an experienced admin. In my eyes the whole Lombardi family debacle is a perfect example of what happens when administrators are asked to only administrate and rarely involve in any RPs, they become uninvolved in the community, and honestly its partly understandable.

'There is no need for us to toggle our powers on or off, you either use them to handle a sit or general admin business or don't use them at all and be just like a regular player.'

That sounds nice in theory but thats not how it works in my experience. I havent RPed much with teammembers in my time here on FL but almost every time people were complaining how the staffmember wasnt performing his duties or probably 'afk farming'. Multiple (ex) administrators have already stated that its annoying to never be able to RP again without being yelled at. I cant imagine that being motivating to stay invested in the server.

Im not sure why you think you have any advantage or administrators are any better since no one really mentioned that in this thread.
(08-19-2018, 08:17 PM)DVN Wrote: Don't like the idea at all.

This.