Poll: What do you believe is the best course of action for FL to take with the current map situation?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
V2D
9.55%
19 9.55%
V17X
20.10%
40 20.10%
V4B1
70.35%
140 70.35%
Total 199 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Community Map Vote
(08-02-2018, 07:33 PM)MrFinnConlon Wrote:
(08-02-2018, 06:12 PM)Zombie Wrote: Really? V4B1? You people are freaking kidding me, there was a good reason why it failed and we decided to have a map change, it was terribly optimized, don't get me wrong, I love the map but at least I acknowledge and recognize the flaws of it. There's no way we should go back, I want to play with a decent FPS. The only way to fix this issue is to completely optimize the map and perhaps even redo the map which the development team requires different skills and different people, something that is beyond Pollux's capabilities. He cannot code, fix and update everything, he has some limits like any other human being. Remember that Gmod is a very old game with flaws that doesn't even use more than one core, the gamemode of CityRP certainly doesn't make it better, it's terrible.

I'm requesting Soulripper and SA to think carefully about it, listening to the community is great and everyone admires the idea of democracy in FL but it has some flaws. What if the community wants to add an RPG or something even worse? Would you still listen to the community and add something stupid?

Let's compare the community to a ship vessel, if you were going on a sea voyage, who would you ideally want deciding who was in charge of the vessel, just anyone, or people educated in the rules and demands of seafaring?

The staff team gives the community way too much power than it should have.

I feel like FL is going to have a map change every 2 months.
How do you know exactly what each of the developer's capabilities are? How are you able to say with certainty what Pollox's skills are and aren't? 

I think I speak for many when they that while V2D may be more optimized and give you nicer FPS it isn't fundamental to an RP server or more specifically Fearless. The kind of experience that the server gives each of its players is influenced by the map chosen to an extent. I dislike V2D because I think it is ugly, boxy and poorly laid out - Something I feel V4B1 trumps V2D on. I would prefer to have a map that feels more like a city and looks like one to. FPS are lower on my priorities I don't play FL like it is CSGO, I appreciate that isn't the same for everyone.

It makes complete sense for the community to be asked which map they prefer. To please the greatest number of players it makes sense to give them the option to choose what map they would enjoy the most. Your analogy with piloting some ship has no correspondence to the community being given a map vote. The fact there have been a high number of map changes also doesn't directly correlate with the community being given a vote or 'having too much power'  It isn't like they choose the rules and vote on who gets banned.

V2D Server -> Littletown A staff decision (It was like a week long event and then died)
LittleTown -> V5P Littletown didn't work - the community was given a vote and chose V5P. It was a success and lasted a long happy life. 
V4B1 server closes due to being empty all the time as the general FL population shrinks
V5P -> Chaos City The active playerbase shrank and V5P felt 'too small' to many 
Chaos city -> V2D Technical problems meant that chaos was not a viable option and thus the staff chose to change the map to V2D
V2D - ? We are back here, V2D was a staff decision to change the map

The community only had a vote on two of the map changes - don't blame them for the high frequency of map changes. I am glad that FL is making an attempt to please their players and feel they should have a say in what map is chosen, they are the ones playing it. But I do believe there is a better way of collecting the community opinion other than in a thread. 

Whether FL has a map change in 2 months time we will just wait and see.

Pines* not chaos city.

Pretty much this, we decided to give you lot a voice instead of an internal vote and some people are complaining? I guess we can't please everyone.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
[Image: rgyPKgU.png]

Click here if the video doesn't work

[Image: j2lrdrm.png]

"way less than FL though" hahahaha I was lagging like shit in DarkRP on V4B1, reminds me the experience in FL last year
(08-02-2018, 08:41 PM)Zombie Wrote: [Image: rgyPKgU.png]

Click here if the video doesn't work

[Image: j2lrdrm.png]

"way less than FL though" hahahaha I was lagging like shit in DarkRP on V4B1, reminds me the experience in FL last year

I would benchmark V4B1 on singleplayer vs FL on Alpha but i'm on a laptop and not my main PC, i'll see if I can do some sort of test though. The map runs as well as an open map on garry's mod does, not the best but still playable.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
(08-02-2018, 07:33 PM)MrFinnConlon Wrote:
(08-02-2018, 06:12 PM)Zombie Wrote: Really? V4B1? You people are freaking kidding me, there was a good reason why it failed and we decided to have a map change, it was terribly optimized, don't get me wrong, I love the map but at least I acknowledge and recognize the flaws of it. There's no way we should go back, I want to play with a decent FPS. The only way to fix this issue is to completely optimize the map and perhaps even redo the map which the development team requires different skills and different people, something that is beyond Pollux's capabilities. He cannot code, fix and update everything, he has some limits like any other human being. Remember that Gmod is a very old game with flaws that doesn't even use more than one core, the gamemode of CityRP certainly doesn't make it better, it's terrible.

I'm requesting Soulripper and SA to think carefully about it, listening to the community is great and everyone admires the idea of democracy in FL but it has some flaws. What if the community wants to add an RPG or something even worse? Would you still listen to the community and add something stupid?

Let's compare the community to a ship vessel, if you were going on a sea voyage, who would you ideally want deciding who was in charge of the vessel, just anyone, or people educated in the rules and demands of seafaring?

The staff team gives the community way too much power than it should have.

I feel like FL is going to have a map change every 2 months.
How do you know exactly what each of the developer's capabilities are? How are you able to say with certainty what Pollox's skills are and aren't? 

-snip-

Well, do we have an experienced person in the development who has experience in making maps, editing them and knows all the demands for the editor? I don't think so. If I'm wrong, that will be great, let the developer optimize V4B1 for us and I hope it won't take more than 1 month.

Pollux said "leave that part to me" but I doubt he can even optimize the map, it's not easy.

Editing a map is a complete pain in the ass because of the editor, and the engine limits doesn't make it any better.

Optimizing a map can be hard for a few reasons, Gmod will generally give you bad FPS when under pressure because it doesn't really support more than one core. 

Fixing optimized maps is going to be difficult if the map is very open, as the way the engine works pretty much renders everything unless you use area portals but then it might look funky. The other difficult thing might be obtaining the .vmf file of the map, which contains everything about the map pre-compilation. If you try to de-compile a map you might run into the issues of brushes or entities not being where they should as well as possibly loosing much of the optimization done by the original creator. If you de-compile a map you also need to run around and find all the missing models and textures and chuck them on your model/material folder.
(08-02-2018, 09:01 PM)Pollux Wrote:
(08-02-2018, 08:41 PM)Zombie Wrote: -snip-

I would benchmark V4B1 on singleplayer vs FL on Alpha but i'm on a laptop and not my main PC, i'll see if I can do some sort of test though. The map runs as well as an open map on garry's mod does, not the best but still playable.

Single player will obviously give you a higher FPS and so does FL on Alpha, you need a full server.
(08-02-2018, 09:03 PM)Zombie Wrote:

Single player will obviously give you a higher FPS and so does FL on Alpha, you need a full server.
Bots and Props Smile
Alphaverse
Ex - Contributor
(08-02-2018, 09:02 PM)Zombie Wrote: Well, do we have an experienced person in the development who has experience in making maps, editing them and knows all the demands for the editor? I don't think so. If I'm wrong, that will be great, let the developer optimize V4B1 for us and I hope it won't take more than 1 month.

Yes his name is Frost
Kind Regards,
[Image: 2tVFym3.png]
The following 1 user Likes Grape's post:
  • Chumps
(08-02-2018, 09:34 PM)Alphaverse Wrote:

Bots and Props Smile

The problem is none of those two affect server latency/ping, only FPS. 

Whether you have props, bots, and a partridge in a pear tree, it will not come close to the results that you will get with up to 75 people from around the world placing their own props each with their own client sides etc.
Kind Regards,
[Image: 2tVFym3.png]
(08-02-2018, 10:30 PM)Grape Wrote:
(08-02-2018, 09:34 PM)Alphaverse Wrote:

Bots and Props Smile

The problem is none of those two affect server latency/ping, only FPS. 

Whether you have props, bots, and a partridge in a pear tree, it will not come close to the results that you will get with up to 75 people from around the world placing their own props each with their own client sides etc.

We're talking about FPS though, not latency. Latency isn't going to change much map to map as it's not really anything to do with it, just some bad networking stuff.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
I think you're forgetting that we ran V33X for years and V4B1 is, more or less, the same map with (as far as I know) some minor optimization tweaks here that actually make it better performance wise. V4B1 itself ran for quite some time as well and I believe this was for more than a year. You can't necessarily call that a failure.

This gamemode isn't a first-person shooter. It's a role-play gamemode that has elements to it that open the door to these differing types of RP however in no way should a map be decided to prioritize that element because it unfortunately is less of a priority. I'd understand complaining about FPS in Counter-Strike or Call of Duty but certainly not CityRP.

I think you'll live.

Reaching out to Soulripper/SA's to disregard public opinion is a desperate grasp for something to keep us tied to a map that is both out-dated and, in my opinion, completely unfit for this gamemode and its player population. 

Seems a bit like the request for Soulripper to override the Pines City vote
The following 11 users Like Nevy's post:
  • Santaliz, Alphaverse, MrFinnConlon, Luna, sebasti161, Obsidial, Spartan_KCT, Flux, Lewwings, juicyorange, Pollux