Poll: Did you find this useful?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
100.00%
2 100.00%
No
0%
0 0%
Total 2 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[Useful Doc] Black Screen Issues
About the Bug

So recently a new issue has occurred within the community which causes people to Black Screen at some point when they are trying to join the server/in the server. Sometimes this bug can cause people to have to restart their computer, alt + F4 the game or close it down manually. This bug seems to be quite varied and does not happen on all occasions and seems to be currently only on the Fearless Servers. So in this little guide I will run through some ways that you can stop/minimise the chances of the bug occurring.

What are you talking about?

If you have no idea what I have just explained you probably haven't experienced the bug yet but it seems to be becoming more common within the community so check back here if it starts happening to you!

Known Fixes

After talking with fellow members of the community and experimenting for myself I have found a few ways that you can stop/reduce the chances of this occurring to you. I will now list all the ways and give a brief description on how to do this. The ways that are currently known are:

1. Verify your game Cache 
  2. Remove/Disable unused Addons
  3. Window Mode
  4. Play in Beta Mode
So to follow each of these you must:

1)  Go to your 'Library' on Steam, after you have done this Right Click on Garry's Mod, then click 'Local Files' then after this click 'Verify Integrity of Game Files', obviously close your Gmod first (Unlike me) and you want get the last pop up.

[Image: fa6d712c58516271f510712c4ec5501d.gif]

2) To do this mouse over the tab 'Community' on Steam and then click 'Workshop'. Once you are here scroll down and click 'Your Files' below the image of your steam profile picture. Then click 'Subscribed Items' and once here clear out unnecessary addons that you most likely won't need in the near future. This makes the game quicker and less clogged up.

[Image: 980ce7941b94da7d1d7c1ef516532b73.gif]

3) To do this open up 'Garry's Mod', then click 'Options' then click the 'Video' tab and under display mode change it from 'Fullscreen' to 'Run in a Window'. Once this is done it can remove/reduce the chances of the black screen error and is especially useful for people who have to restart the screen on blackout as this will allow people to close the game with ease instead of restarting their Computer.

4) To do this go to 'Library' then 'Games' after you have done this scroll down to 'Garry's Mod' and right click it. Then click 'Properties' then 'Beta's' and then click 'dev - Development Branch'. This will put the game in development mode, however this mode can be buggy so it may cause other issues even if it does remove/reduce the black screen issue.

[Image: 86f38c2a7538433a9f43f1dedbf8c5e3.gif]

Thanks!
I hope these tips have helped you remove/reduce the chances of the black screen error occurring to you, if you have any other tips of possibly fixing this please feel free to contact me and I will test it out; and if it does officially work I will surely add it to this thread!
Regards,
Joe Joe
Fearless Teacher Admin Clan Officer Admin Event Manager Clan Officer Veteran Admin Event Manager Veteran Management Veteran

[Image: OMVm0Um.png]
Have I helped you out? Rep me >Here<
The following 1 user Likes Joe Joe's post:
  • Luna
Moving to useful docs!
[Image: CYCeH3i.png]