Guide: Surviving (D)DoS spikes
How do I survive a DDoS lag spike?

At CityRP we have daily DDoS attacks, most attacks takes around 2 minutes, resulting that you get disconnected from the server.

A common mistake is that the server crashes by a DDoS attack, sometimes it does, but mostly the server just runs fine, but you are unable to connect to it since the connection get's attacked.

Here is a bypass to survive most huge ddos lag spikes, by increasing the disconnect time which is standard only 30 seconds.

1. Start Gmod and press the ~ key, this key is left to the number 1 key, or above the Tab key.

2. The console will open, now type in:
Code:
cl_timeout 3000

3. Restart Gmod.

You're done, now you will survive most ddos attacks and you will be able to continue your RP. Just get yourself a cup of tea or whatever, while your Gmod tries to restore connection. This doesn't work for normal crashes, only for attacks.
[Image: get.php?s=STEAM_0:1:15472195&b=9]
Make your own dynamic signature by clicking here.
Great idea to let people know about this little trick, as many of the lag spikes last way more than 30 seconds. But today the lag spikes caused everyone's view to get stuck and freeze up.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Idea
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

If it helped you help me by giving the link of this thread to your friends.
[Image: get.php?s=STEAM_0:1:15472195&b=9]
Make your own dynamic signature by clicking here.
The following 1 user Likes SoulRipper's post:
  • SilentGamer
I used to survive DOS attacks, but then I took a lag to the knee.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Idea
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

How I survive DDoS attacks...

I leave and play Deus Ex. I'm not playing for 30 minutes when some sad little loner is DDoSing it.
The following 1 user Likes Faustie's post:
  • thesilentorchestra
What does "DDOS" mean? What is it?
(12-24-2011, 03:59 AM)Pro Fuzion Wrote: What does "DDOS" mean? What is it?

Distributed Denial Of Service

its when a lot of packets of data are being sent to the server from multiple locations causing it to backup and lag and even crash

While you may not wear my teams color, we still bear the same dogtags, for we are the underdogs.
When the server gets DDoS'd I go outside.
[Image: P6KNEfH.png]           .       
Steam | Twitter | YouTube
Signature graphic by Barkles
The following 1 user Likes Ms. Mudpie's post:
  • thesilentorchestra
(12-24-2011, 09:52 AM)Sir Raffi Wrote: When the server gets DDoS'd I go outside.

What's that thing you call..."outside"...?
The following 7 users Like Biowulf's post:
  • thesilentorchestra, Haarek, blusheep23, Lolo, Aing, Ozman, D0ctor
(12-24-2011, 09:30 PM)Biowulf Wrote:
(12-24-2011, 09:52 AM)Sir Raffi Wrote: When the server gets DDoS'd I go outside.

What's that thing you call..."outside"...?

Idiot, it's a cake...
The following 6 users Like The_Alpha_Dog's post:
  • blusheep23, Ted, Ronchiiik, Da BeachiJR, Aing, D0ctor