Meta / Awaiting Update Kimmy's Guide to Roleplay
Rainbow 
Kimmy’s Guide to Roleplay

Table of contents
1.      A few guidelines

1.1.   Being a known minge doesn’t do your RP career any good
1.2.   What not to do In roleplay.
1.2.1.Only Pay Attention When It’s Your Turn
1.2.2.Being mean to someone, even if your character is a meany. ( advised ) 
2.      Difference between IC and OOC

2.1.   What’s the difference between IC and OOC? What does it mean?
2.2.   How do I best separate them?
2.3.   Rules of OOC 
2.3.1.No caps in OOC
2.3.2.No spamming in OOC
2.4.   What is metagaming
3.      Character Development

3.1.   An in-game me?
3.2.   Think Outside the Box, but not too far outside of it.
4.      Roleplay etiquette 

4.1.   How do I best type?
4.2.   How to do /me and /it
4.3.   What is FearRP?
4.4.   What is Powergaming?
4.5.   What is FailRP?

Introduction

Hello there fellow roleplayer! Are you new to roleplay, or do you simply wish to improve your skills? Well, maybe this guide will help you gain some more information or inspire you to become the roleplayer you want to be! A lot of the things I talk about can be found in different guides scattered across the forums. So feel free to skip the part you have already mastered. But I thought it would be easier for everyone to 

I can safely say I’m a seasoned roleplayer that has gained all of my skills on World of Warcraft. I moved over to Fearless not too long ago so I should know what I’m talking about in this guide. If you still have further questions, then just send me a private message and we’ll see from that point onwards.

1.      A few guidelines

1.1.   Being a known minge doesn’t do your RP career any good

No one likes talking to a well-known minge that goes around RDM’ing everyone, so be cautious of what you do on this server. One negative thing (e.g. RDM’ing everyone ) can affect your reputation on the server for the worst and some people will avoid roleplaying with you if you have a negative reputation.
1.2.   What not to do In roleplay.

1.2.1. Only Pay Attention When It’s Your Turn

This could be a well-known problem for any roleplayer on any game server.  When it comes to in-character interaction you have to make sure the story isn’t one-sided. Give your fellow roleplayer a chance to make a /me emote from which the story progresses. A roleplay can never be made by only one person, two or more individuals have to come together to create an enjoyable roleplay scenario.

1.2.2.  Being mean to someone, even if your character is a meany. ( advised ) 

No one likes to roleplay with a grumpy git.  Negative interactions may lead to some people avoiding your roleplay.

2.      Difference between IC and OOC

2.1.   What’s the difference between IC and OOC? What does it mean?
IC = In Character
OOC = Out Of Character ( Commands: Local OOC = .// [TEXT]  Global OOC= // [TEXT] )
The in-game world does not affect the real world, not even in the slightest. Every encounter you have in game should never affect your mood in the real world. 

Example: Another character calls your character an idiot. 
-> This does not say anything about you as a person. The other person’s roleplay character is insulting your roleplayer character, not you.

2.2.   How do I best separate them?

When the roleplay situation gets on your nerves in real life, it’s best to keep your distance for a while until your nerves have calmed. This happens to the best of us; every roleplayer will encounter a situation in which he is unable to keep the fourth wall up. It is best not to break character in this particular situation.
( Fourth wall = term used to separate the roleplay world and the real world. Often used when it comes to metagaming. )

2.3.   Rules of OOC 
2.3.1.No caps in OOC
2.3.2.No spamming in OOC

2.4.   What is metagaming? 

This term is used when you use IC information for an OOC advantage. 
E.g. You’re a criminal that happens to be walking by the Nexus and you get arrested by a police officer.
*What went wrong? The police officer took the OOC information ( the job name ) and performed an IC action because of it.
What isn’t metagaming?
E.g. /me takes the can of paint and vandalizes the Nexus.

*This gives the police officer a legit reason to arrest you in game, because you have now –proven- that you are a criminal of sorts.
èWe must never forget that IC and OOC are strictly separated from each other. It takes a lot of time and practice to master them both and keep the both separate at times.
èEVERYTHING ON FEARLESS MUST BE DONE WITH A REASON.

3.      Character Development

3.1.   An in-game me?

One of the generally accepted rules in the roleplay community is that you are never your character. Because the bonds between IC and OOC have to be kept separate, it is not advised to make a mental connection between you and your character. You may share the same name but do not go as far as to give his pet the same name as your pet along with the same background.

3.2.   Think Outside the Box, but not too far outside of it.

A lot of diversity is needed when it comes to defining who your character is. The backstory of your character is one of the most important things you’ll ever need to roleplay your character. Make sure it’s well-defined and quite detailed so your character can stand out.  But do not become a special snowflake, make sure you are staying well within the lines of being a generic character and being a special snowflake.

4.      Roleplay etiquette 

4.1.   How do I best type?

When it comes to roleplay it’s best to type as if you’re writing an essay for your English teacher. Perfect English grammar will help you come a long way to becoming a decent roleplayer. Avoid typing as if you’re texting one of your best mates. You start with a capital letter and end with a full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
E.g. 
Wat R U doing??? -> What are you doing?
Wtf -> What the fudge. ( I don’t condone swearing )

4.2.   How to do /me and /it

Try to make your actions as detailed as possible. Even though you may have limited space, make the best out of it! You can be really creative with the emotes you make. 
E.g.  
·       /me hugs Soulripper 
-> /me wraps her arms around Sir Soulripper and brings him closer into her embrace.
·       /me takes a hold of the bottle
-> /me extends her arm, grasping the bottle with her left hand.

4.3.   Don’t try to stop things., try to keep the RP juices flowing

When you’re roleplaying you may find it difficult to keep roleplay going on as much as possible. Try to keep the roleplay juices flowing by asking multiple questions and performing actions and allowing the other person to interact more.
E.g. You’re the owner of a candy store and a customer is buying a bag of candy.

-> Situation 1.
A. I’ll take a bag of candy /me hands the man the chosen bag.
B. Alright. /me hands the woman the bag of candy.
A. Bye.
B. Bye.

-> Situation 2.
A. I’ll take a bag of candy /me hands the man the chosen bag.
B. Alright. /me hands the woman the bag of candy.
A. Bye.
B. Oh, would you like me to put the bag of candy in an eco-friendly bag?
A. I’d love that!
….

It’s always better to keep the roleplay going. It’s rarely that you will get ignored when coming up with new ideas to keep the roleplay alive. Sometimes a simple question can lead up to an hour more of your fun roleplay! 

4.4.   What is FearRP?

When someone is holding a weapon besides your head you are under fearRP. What does this mean? This means you usually abide to the rules the gun-holder makes. When he makes a demand you have to follow the demand as you are scared. ( FearRP ) Just like in the real world you’d do anything not to get shot or hurt by the person standing in front of you with a galil locked inside of his hands.

4.5.   What is Powergaming?

Powergaming is a term used when you force an action onto someone else.
E.g. /me kills you.
What Is wrong with this? You have no say in this matter. The other person chooses the outcome of the roleplay for you. But you don’t have to accept that! You and everyone else should have the possibility to choose and think of your own outcome. That’s why you –ALWAYS- attempt an action. Now, let’s see how we can improve on the first /me.

* KimmyPanda attempts to kill you with the knife she’s holding in her right hand.*

4.6.   How does NLR affect my RP?

The new life rule is a rule created so that when you die, you are prohibited from entering the same area you died in. This means you forget everything that happened in your past RP, but this doesn’t mean your character died. So the past RP is voided, but not your RP character.

4.7.   What is FailRP?

FailRP is a term everyone uses when you’re doing an action that you would otherwise not do in real life. A prime example of this is sleeping in a trash bin. You would never sleep inside of a trash bin in real life, so why would your character do this as well? He wouldn’t! So you don’t do it in roleplay. Other examples are: 
§ Sleeping in the middle of the road.
§ Raiding the president as a chef.

Your job decides the roleplay you can do. You can customize your job when you’re a citizen ( E.g. Citizen -> Toy Store – Owner ), but it proves far more difficult when you’re another job. A president can become a dictator but the roleplay possibilities are quite limited from that point onwards. 
You must stick to the roleplay possibilities of your job. 
E.g. Citizens can’t mug people, criminals can.

4.8.   ERP?
Erotic roleplay can be done by creating some spicy /me’s. But it’s highly recommended to keep it off the server as a lot of younger children do play it. And we wouldn’t want to be the reason the new generation is even more fudged up!

5.      What kind of role player are you?

5.1.   Passive
This is a more /me and /it based type of roleplay. This type of roleplayer usually sticks to some fun shop roleplay, but there are a variety of other ideas you can pick from. These are some prime examples of passive RP:
§ Café/bar
§ Toy store
§ Flower shop
§ 

5.2.   Aggressive
This usually consists out of a person, or a group of people carrying a gun to act out their roleplay. They stick to being criminals or burglars.
A general rule that’s accepted among the roleplayers is that you cannot force aggressive roleplay in a passive roleplay situation. 
E.g. It’s not commonly done that a criminal robs a flower shop.
-> It ruins the passive roleplay because passive roleplayers usually choose to stay away from aggressive situations. 

Here are some other really good roleplay guides: 
http://www.fearlessrp.net/showthread.php?tid=40051

Incoming over 9000 likes onto this thread. But you know what Kimmy, this one actually deserves it.
Well done.

Edit. Yep, called it.
[Image: 10WI43J.gif?1]
The following 3 users Like King Kickass's post:
  • Awestruck, mintblackbeard, Xesus
(06-12-2016, 07:01 PM)King Kickass Wrote: Incoming  over 9000 likes onto this thread. But you know what Kimmy, this one actually deserves it.
Well done.

Haha, thanks. You're too nice. c:
Cool guide, Kimmy. Will definitely help out old and new roleplayers alike.
Kind Regards,

[Image: nw3ghiD.gif]
(06-12-2016, 07:02 PM)AwestruckBullet Wrote: Cool guide, Kimmy. Will definitely help out old and new roleplayers alike.

Thank you for helping me with this thread! Forgot to put anything on the real guide thingy but it's really appreciated. :3
Good guide there, Kimmy.

This will definitely help some new (Maybe even some old) players out.
[Image: CYCeH3i.png]
(06-12-2016, 07:06 PM)Random Gamer Wrote: Good guide there, Kimmy.

This will definitely help some new (Maybe even some old) players out.

You're too kind. :3
The following 1 user Likes Kimpow's post:
  • Random
This is amazing! Awesome job on making it!

(06-12-2016, 07:07 PM)WillemdeWalrus Wrote: This is amazing! Awesome job on making it!

Thank you for the kind words. ^-^
Looking great. Nicely detailed and covers a wide range of subjects on FL that many need to remember.