[GUIDE] How to be a successful leader. -Still in the works-
Lightbulb 
Prologue,     Some people have asked why i made this guide, well for a variety of reasons but mainly due to the fact that the subject matter of it is very close to my heart.i'm extremely introverted that being said I used to have a lot of trouble speaking with people when i was younger because i was so shy, and this carried with me. It was only a year ago when i really tried to break out of my mold and try talk with people. It was really difficult however after going to a coarse for a pre-medical exam they recommended a book to help with a particular section of the exam, The exam is like the UKcat but the Australian version. Anyway long story short this book changed my life. so I'm writing this guide where i pretty much discuss what i learned hopefully if there are anyone who was like me and has had trouble speaking with people this guide will help.

I've decided to create a series of guides over the coarse of the next few months as a way to help anyone interested in the subject matter of these guides.The guides will cover a wide range of topics, most of them covering different styles of  Role playing. I sincerely hope these guides offer some sort of  help. "How to be a successful leader" will most likely be the most important guide in the series of guides as the subject matter of communication is fundamental in a server with a lot of interaction between people. 

Source of information:  Almost all of the information in this guide was taught to me through the book "How to make friends and influence others"  by Dale Carnegie. 

How to be a successful leader
Section One : Basics of handling people

Part one : The difference between being a boss and being a leader 
[Image: original.jpg]

So these two pictures say a lot about the difference between a boss and a leader. They almost explain it all, so i will just jump straight into part two.

Part two : Never criticize people, never complain.
Now i understand that the most fascinating thing about role playing is that you can play a completely different person than who you are in real life. That you can come home from let's say your job as a nurse or helping your class mate in a subject, something very noble. sit down on the computer go on cityRP and role play as a character who is a complete Machiavellian type asshole. That's the beauty of role playing.  But let's say you wanted to become a President of Evocity, Don of a Mafia, leader of Rebels , Custom leader or even dare i say successful clan leader. Then dealing with people is key. The first thing to recognize is that users behind the monitor are actual human beings. This means 

"Few people are logical. Most of us are prejudiced and biased. Most of us are blighted with preconceived notions, with jealousy, suspicion, fear, envy and pride." 

That's the unfortunate truth, well actually i'll rephrase that. That's how lucky we are, because once you realize this, you can play this to your benefit.  "Never Criticize people, Never Complain" if  there is anything in this guide that i want you to take the most it would be this statement.  

"Any fool can criticize, complain, and condemn—and most fools do. But it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving."

Keeping the point short and simple. It doesn't work it never has it never will. If someone on your team makes a mistake don't chew them out, unless it is in your role playing character. I would ask any one you to give me an example to say when it has worked where you have condemned an action, criticized another player "If you want staff use @" or some other salt thrown in OCC. All that it does is build resentment. Not only this but people who are criticized tend to defend themselves on whatever they are being criticized about even if they know they are in the wrong, it's basic human nature. Don't believe me? Head to the Admin abuse part of the forums then come back when you are finished. Great, it is such a simple way of avoiding conflict with other people and with the other steps you will learn in this guide. You will know what to do which brings me to....

Part Three : Give Honest, Sincere Appreciation 

Simply put, don't ass lick. Don't flatter. people think about themselves around 99% of the time about what they want, how good they are or sometimes depending on the person how better they are than you. What good will come out of telling something about someone they already know. That's what flattery is. 

flattery will do you more harm than good. Flattery is counterfeit, and like counterfeit money, it will eventually get you into trouble if you pass it to someone else. "

The difference between flattery and real compliments is that one is sincere and comes from the heart and the other one is not

""Don't be afraid of enemies who attack you. Be afraid of the friends who flatter you."  "

Throwing appreciation that's genuine works wonders. If you are in a team and you are a leader and you have one person who dosn't seem to be doing well and other people are making fun of him to do better. Be the leader, inspect the person see if the person does a good job at something once and a while compliment the person genuinely. You will be amazed at the results because honestly it's the little things that matter. Next time your police officer  attempts to role play his role passively, your SRU handcuff's any visitors to meet you as president or your Mafia followers show their loyalty to you etc etc, give your words of compliments to them for it IC or LOCAL OOC , the next time the people come near you they will remember your words and smile to the idea of role playing with you again.

Part Four : Get people to do what you want.

This is a lot more simple then it seems. The secret to getting people to do what you want? Make them want to do it. There's no big secret to it. All you need to do is give the person the desire to do what you want them to do it. People think about themselves 99% of the time and their own want. They have NO TIME to think about what you want, let alone care about what you want! So give them the reason to do what you want them to do. 

"arouse in the other person an eager want He who can do this has the whole world with him. He who cannot walks a lonely way. "

It's true you know. What type of leader doesn't think about the people he is watching over? a BOSS that's who. So next time you want people to join your cause, give them a reason to , be it money, or glory or whatever depending on the person or the situation at hand. Something will always appeal to people. 

Section Two: Ways to make people like you, this section is less about role play and more about OCC. 

Part One: Show genuine interest in other people.

Once again people like to feel important. You can play to this and take advantage if it. However this is more difficult to do over a video game so i will come up with a slight variation. If you are a police sergeant who is receiving officers, greet every new officer that joins the force in a tone that tells them that YOU are pleased in them joining the force. Even if they are have low hours. 

"Showing a genuine interest in others not only wins friends for you, but may develop in its customers a loyalty to your company"

This idea of course extends to any other leadership roles. As a leader make the people you lead FEEL important.
Part Two: Listen to people, be good at listening and encourage others to talk about themselves.

This one is a pretty nice to remember because the uses of this extends beyond  the server and into the real world but, i'll focus on the server. All too many a times i have been in a situation where i would try my hardest to attempt a walk up role play with someone. For those of you who don't know walk up role play is when you initiate a role play that is unplanned, not scripted . It happens a lot more in WoW than cityRP. But the problem i would always have is that i would initiate a conversation with them but never know where to go from there, the candle that i lit when i attempted to initiate a role play has fizzled out and Poof.... 
Just remember that when you are in a situation like this to really open your ears.

"Remember that the people you are talking to are a hundred times more interested in themselves and their wants and problems than they are in you and your problems. A person's toothache means more to that person than a famine in China"

This idea extends to leadership roles, because building a relationship with your peer creates trust and loyalty. These Two words mean everything to the Don of a Mafia and the President. 

Part Three: How to interest people

Just like a previous section of this guide, in order to interest people, you must speak to them in terms of  THEIR interests. This is exceptionally useful if you are currently attempting to write an application for another clan, whether you are trying to join the clan or you are the leader of a current clan and wish to create some sort of partnership with another clan. Don't bother saying why you want to join their cause or why you wish form a partnership with them Talk about why THEY want YOU to join them. Talk to the other person in terms of THEIR interests. 

Okay so i have decided to finish this guide here. It is only half done however. I wish to make other guides that are more related to Fearless and role playing I made this guide because the subject matter is close to my heart.
[Image: 10WI43J.gif?1]
The following 7 users Like King Kickass's post:
  • Midget, Jonas, Reebs, Sgt.Golden, Balls, sebasti161, Ratatoskrr
Updated!
Really good, looks like you put in a lot of effort!
(06-12-2016, 08:11 AM)Coffee Wrote: Really good, looks like you put in a lot of effort!

Thank you very much, i appreciate it.
I don't understand. Like it's some nice pictures found on google and stuff, but this is a semi-serious roleplay server, not Half-Life 2 Roleplay.
Anyhow, it's a nice guide no matter what. But it may be a waste of your time in the end, to write such a guide for simple leadership.

Don't get me wrong. I like your work Wink.
Interesting Guide, Very well done!

(06-12-2016, 12:39 PM)Mist Wrote: I don't understand. Like it's some nice pictures found on google and stuff, but this is a semi-serious roleplay server, not Half-Life 2 Roleplay.
Anyhow, it's a nice guide no matter what. But it may be a waste of your time in the end, to write such a guide for simple leadership.

Don't get me wrong. I like your work Wink.

I don't personally think it is a waste of my time. In writing this guide i am expecting nothing back from anyone, I just wanted to help anyone interested in more serious subject matter. If someone who would normally find communication between people hard like i did when in any sort of leadership role, that hopefully they will gain something from this guide to help them.  My other guides won't be as serious however so don't worry i just wanted to start with something i found important and get it out of the way. 

That being said thank you for your feedback, Mist.
(06-12-2016, 12:51 PM)Chutnut Wrote: Interesting Guide, Very well done!

Thank you very much,  i appreciate your comment.
Once again, this guide has been updated. I'd prefer if you read it before you commented, but its your choice. 
Thank you.
Really good!