Drugs
When you use Family Guy as some form of backing up lol. I have no time to waste arguing how absurd that is...
Regards,
aviator
(01-20-2016, 05:07 PM)aviator Wrote: When you use Family Guy as some form of backing up lol. I have no time to waste arguing how absurd that is...

You obviously misunderstood my point completely. How could I possibly use cartoons as evidence? The reason I put the video is because, contrary to popular belief, series the likes of "Family Guy", "Simpsons", "American Dad" or "South Park" have HUGE critics towards society, they say truth's as they are and even ridicule the current state of affairs because they can get away with it in the name of "Comedy".

2 weeks ago a team of students from the university from my city created a CURE for prostate cancer. It has now been bought and patented by some global pharmaceutical company never to see the light again. No one's heard anything again about it, nor will they because that's what's been happening over the last decades all over the world.

Also, please answer my questions. You say all medication is Ethical.

So giving kids that are just more distracted than others amphetamine (Which is basically the same as Crystal Meth) is Ethical? 
Slowly killing a person through ineffective treatments is Ethical?
Giving out antibiotics for simple colds and flu's is Ethical? (This is causing new types of superbacteria to form that is immune to antibiotics, and this is a fact)
Decreasing the age in where we start medicating our kids on a daily basis is Ethical?

If you answer yes to all these questions, then we have different understanding of the definition of "Ethical".
Live a good life. If there's a god and he's just, he will not care of how devout you are, he will accept you for the virtues you have based your life upon. If there's no god, then you will have gone, but you will have lived a noble life which will stay in the memories of those that you love.
(01-21-2016, 11:26 AM)Holdem Wrote:
(01-20-2016, 05:07 PM)aviator Wrote: When you use Family Guy as some form of backing up lol. I have no time to waste arguing how absurd that is...

You obviously misunderstood my point completely. How could I possibly use cartoons as evidence? The reason I put the video is because, contrary to popular belief, series the likes of "Family Guy", "Simpsons", "American Dad" or "South Park" have HUGE critics towards society, they say truth's as they are and even ridicule the current state of affairs because they can get away with it in the name of "Comedy".

2 weeks ago a team of students from the university from my city created a CURE for prostate cancer. It has now been bought and patented by some global pharmaceutical company never to see the light again. No one's heard anything again about it, nor will they because that's what's been happening over the last decades all over the world.

Also, please answer my questions. You say all medication is Ethical.

So giving kids that are just more distracted than others amphetamine (Which is basically the same as Crystal Meth) is Ethical? 
Slowly killing a person through ineffective treatments is Ethical?
Giving out antibiotics for simple colds and flu's is Ethical? (This is causing new types of superbacteria to form that is immune to antibiotics, and this is a fact)
Decreasing the age in where we start medicating our kids on a daily basis is Ethical?

If you answer yes to all these questions, then we have different understanding of the definition of "Ethical".

Firstly, there was no misunderstanding. I'll grace you with some answers. I personally find those programs amusing and do agree on certain points. I would like the say - many scientists work for the good of society. Also, given that the life expectancy for humans is increasing, thus cancer becoming an almost certainty at some point in life - a pharmaceutical company with some "magical" cure, would become the richest company, so why would they withhold those treatments? Governments also fund scientific research. People fund scientific research and while there are bad eggs just like in every basket, most act for the good of society.

So giving kids that are just more distracted than others amphetamine (Which is basically the same as Crystal Meth) is Ethical?
If it improves their symptoms, thus improving their quality of life - yes. Remember, these drugs have been studied heavily for their good effects. Scientific method and all...

Slowly killing a person through ineffective treatments is Ethical?
I'm not sure where this happens in modern day medicine. However, if there is intention to kill an individual, of course that is unethical.

Giving out antibiotics for simple colds and flu's is Ethical?
Antibiotics do not work for viral infections. They work ONLY for bacterial infections. Prescribing antibiotics for viral infections is a failure on behalf of the GP prescribing them or the patient demanding antibiotics from their Doctor despite 100% ineffective. Simple paracetamol should work here (Aspirin shouldn't be given to people under 16). This stuff is real simple and there are many campaigns about it to the point it should be common knowledge.

I'm not sure what you mean by medicating on a daily basis? Most children are only treated for a short span for their illness to clear up. Terminal illnesses are a different matter. If you're talking about vaccinating at a young age, it is 100% ethical unless they have allergies/medical reasons for it. Those people will be protected by herd immunity anyway.

2 weeks ago a team of students from the university from my city created a CURE for prostate cancer.
Can you link me to a published scientific journal stating their findings that has also been peer reviewed?
Regards,
aviator
Again, I disagree with what you're saying in most. I cannot find anything about the students from my city, not even on the newspapers where it was published, front page and all, though doesn't surprise me.

I believe that people are generally very naive in thinking that big pharma's goals is to help people, cure them and increase their quality of life. They're companies, all they want is your money and the longer you're paying them through treatments, the better. "Why cure someone in a day when you can treat them their whole lives and bill them every step of the way?". I also believe that people who haven't tried something should not give a "valid opinion" on it. It's like me saying dog meat tastes bad when I've never tried it.
I won't derail this thread anymore, though I think that the creator of the thread has had several questions answered, if you have any other questions feel free to ask or PM bud!
Live a good life. If there's a god and he's just, he will not care of how devout you are, he will accept you for the virtues you have based your life upon. If there's no god, then you will have gone, but you will have lived a noble life which will stay in the memories of those that you love.