Poll: Do you think Marijuana should be legalized in the UK?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
17.65%
3 17.65%
No
82.35%
14 82.35%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Government are so backwards it hurts
Bug 
So some of you may know there was a petition to legalize marijuana in the UK
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/104349
The government responded and the study they were referring to was this:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/06/0...7420080602

Now this study was on 15 people! And it just so happened that some had smaller parts of the brain to the others. They even stated this does not show that Marijuana was the cause.

They are stating dead facts that don't even make sense. Then they preach that it may cause harm to individuals and families. WAIT what like alcohol and tobacco which as been legalized for years. Oh but wait, alcohol and tobacco have been proven to be a lot lot lot more harmful health wise than weed.

I'm honestly sick to death of this country. Why can't they open their eyes to what is happening and understand that the war on "drugs" is broken and doesn't work. Making something illegal causes organised gangs and crime. They even said that legalizing it would not solve this. Now what the fuck is that supposed to mean lol! HOW WOULD IT NOT?
(can i just state I don't smoke weed, I'm just pro marijuana because of all the true facts, the solid evidence that it is medicinal)
Government, sort your shit out... Stressing Skeptical
Ill just leave this here:
[Image: 54ec62a4c29cd.png]
[Image: fearless.png]
I don't mind whether cannabis is legal or not in the UK.

I see it as another opportunity for the government to tax on (like alcohol and tobacco). However, one must consider the cost to the NHS. Those taxes would unlikely cover the extended cost to treating those with illnesses relating to cannabis. Resources are stretched enough as it is.

I do find the statement regarding health quite contradictory when alcohol and tobacco are perfectly legal. Although to say there are no health risks is also wrong, particularly if one intends to smoke cannabis. Anyway, restrictions can be put in place to regulate consumption of cannabis, just like alcohol and tobacco are already.

I too am fairly certain that it would bring it out of the black market, as well as providing proper cannabis for people to use; rather than the potential risk of dodgy stuff. It would also mean police resources can be addressed elsewhere.

I can see both pros and cons to the suggestion and if it were to be legalised we want to be sure before proceeding.
Regards,
aviator
The following 1 user Likes aviator's post:
  • Rumbleâ„¢
(08-25-2015, 06:56 PM)aviator Wrote: I don't mind whether cannabis is legal or not in the UK.

I see it as another opportunity for the government to tax on (like alcohol and tobacco). However, one must consider the cost to the NHS. Those taxes would unlikely cover the extended cost to treating those with illnesses relating to cannabis. Resources are stretched enough as it is.

I do find the statement regarding health quite contradictory when alcohol and tobacco are perfectly legal. Although to say there are no health risks is also wrong, particularly if one intends to smoke cannabis. Anyway, restrictions can be put in place to regulate consumption of cannabis, just like alcohol and tobacco are already.

I too am fairly certain that it would bring it out of the black market, as well as providing proper cannabis for people to use; rather than the potential risk of dodgy stuff. It would also mean police resources can be addressed elsewhere.

I can see both pros and cons to the suggestion and if it were to be legalised we want to be sure before proceeding.

People often use the argument of the cost of the NHS, but even with tobacco, the total NHS cost of treating smoking-related illnesses per year is substantially less than the money gained from tax. With cannabis, the harmful defects from smoking it are there, but substantially lower than tobacco. This twinned with an industry which will see exponential growth (See the US states where is has been legalized.) will ensure that legalizing Cannabis, in every way, will be profitable for the current government.

And even in regards to the 'Doggy stuff' inside Cannabis. What exactly is it? I hear people exclaiming how there could be rat poision smuggled into it..News flash, you can't really cut cannabis with anything. The only risk of contamination really, would be in regards to fertilizers and such, and realistically, there's probably more shit going into the vegetables and such.

But I don't think the police actually give a shit. I've been caught at 11PM at night, and had spoken to a couple of officers whom were searching for a missing persons. They smelt it, and did not give a single shit. Didn't even question it. I think for the most part, they have bigger fish to fry.

If you smoke it in the streets, then you deserve to be arrested as it's selfish. Not everyone wants to smell it or breath it in etc. If you're going out of your way to avoid people, then I think for the most part, the police leave you alone.
A more fitting signature. 
From my point of view:

I think legalising cannabis might be the way to go. Possession and intent to supply are indictable (you can get a hefty prison sentence), but you'll usually just get a caution as there isn't too much danger in it (unless you're driving, then you can get a DUI offence under your belt). The problem is, is that cannabis has more profound an effect than cigarettes. Many people will probably still drive while under the influence of cannabis, which is pretty dangerous. Hardcore ciggy smokers may switch to weed, which may seem great, but will most likely result in the users being incapacitated. I think it would probably go a lot like that Family Guy episode where it's legalised. Everyone would be smoking it freely. But then, of course, after a while you'd have restrictions to the point where it probably wouldn't even be worth legalising it. You probably wouldn't be allowed to smoke it outside of your own home, whilst driving, etc. Whereas you can have just one pint of beer and be alright, smoking a joint is basically incapacitating whoever is smoking it to the point where they can't perform a lot of usual actions such as driving or going to the shops.

But hey, I don't smoke weed. I don't know how much of an effect it has on the user.
Nuka
Modelling/Texturing Contributor
(08-25-2015, 07:54 PM)Jono Wrote:
(08-25-2015, 06:56 PM)aviator Wrote: -

People often use the argument of the cost of the NHS, but even with tobacco, the total NHS cost of treating smoking-related illnesses per year is substantially less than the money gained from tax. With cannabis, the harmful defects from smoking it are there, but substantially lower than tobacco. This twinned with an industry which will see exponential growth (See the US states where is has been legalized.) will ensure that legalizing Cannabis, in every way, will be profitable for the current government.

And even in regards to the 'Doggy stuff' inside Cannabis. What exactly is it? I hear people exclaiming how there could be rat poision smuggled into it..News flash, you can't really cut cannabis with anything. The only risk of contamination really, would be in regards to fertilizers and such, and realistically, there's probably more shit going into the vegetables and such.

But I don't think the police actually give a shit. I've been caught at 11PM at night, and had spoken to a couple of officers whom were searching for a missing persons. They smelt it, and did not give a single shit. Didn't even question it. I think for the most part, they have bigger fish to fry.

If you smoke it in the streets, then you deserve to be arrested as it's selfish. Not everyone wants to smell it or breath it in etc. If you're going out of your way to avoid people, then I think for the most part, the police leave you alone.

I haven't studied the exact expenditures of the NHS and I'm unsure of what money the government would make, it was more just a hypothesis which actually would be interesting to see put to experiment or statistical models. Although 'smoking' still poses the usual threats of a multitude of cancers, various other health problems and as you quite rightly pointed out, second hand smoke (which I get annoyed enough about with tobacco smokers). I'd assume the same smoking laws would be imposed on cannabis (public areas, cars w/ under 18 [to come into force in a few months] et cetera).
Regards,
aviator
The following 1 user Likes aviator's post:
  • Nuka
It has been studied as well that the smoke generated from the burning plant matter is practically harmless. However it does temporarily paralyze the cilia so isn't good to smoke all day every day.

Can i also reccomend everyone to watch this. It's a real eye opener.
[Image: fearless.png]
(08-26-2015, 09:30 PM)D41 Wrote: It has been studied as well that the smoke generated from the burning plant matter is practically harmless. However it does temporarily paralyze the cilia so isn't good to smoke all day every day.

Can i also reccomend everyone to watch this. It's a real eye opener.

It'd probably still be restricted, unfortunately
Nuka
Modelling/Texturing Contributor
(08-26-2015, 09:30 PM)D41 Wrote: It has been studied as well that the smoke generated from the burning plant matter is practically harmless. However it does temporarily paralyze the cilia so isn't good to smoke all day every day.

I'll look into this, since I was always under the impression the result from any combustion is harmful to one's breathing system. Carbon monoxide, hydrogen cyanide and a large and wide number of cancer causing agents (carcinogens).

If I were to set the grass in my garden alight, the smoke generated would not be good for me, likewise with the combustion of fuels in vehicles, bonfires, smoking tobacco or cannabis.
Regards,
aviator
I have a condition related to my bowel and I've been watching stuff recently where people have been smoking weed and using THC pure oils from weed to cure it. They have been avoiding medication that costs them $2000+ in the US (which I get for free here) and they've been in remission for years.

Makes me wonder, is that like my cure lmao?