#EdexcelMaths
According to my teachers, if you know what topics were in the non-calc you can predict the topics in the calc paper. Is this true? If so how
This question signifies the uselessness of Gcse maths in 99% of professions. since doing my GCSEs I have never once had to calculate the length of side X
BECUASE I ALWAYS HAVE A RULER.
[Image: JrWpsNC.png]
The following 3 users Like Barkles's post:
  • Tomo, James_Gaff, Tandy
I got 10 as the answer? Literally solved it in a couple of minutes on my work break wtf.
Yeah solving the equation isn't actually that bad, it's just that Hannah's eating habits were somehow connected to it that seems to have baffled everyone who did the exam. Smile
[Image: tgRQtsH.png]
Jane makes cheese.
Nuka
Modelling/Texturing Contributor
The following 1 user Likes Nuka's post:
  • Link
Saw the paper today as you can get them 24 hours after and our teacher decided A-Level would have a look at the fuss.

You needed to do more than get 10. Had to work out an algebraic question to find the probability.
Kind Regards,
Wood.
(06-04-2015, 09:33 PM)Jericho Wrote: According to my teachers, if you know what topics were in the non-calc you can predict the topics in the calc paper. Is this true? If so how

I'd presume it's just a matter of listing every topic, then removing the ones covered in Paper 1.

Gives you a good enough estimate of what to revise.
I've tried looking for the question and from what I've gathered it tells you hannah has n sweets in which 6 of them are orange. The probability of picking two orange sweets one after the other is 1/3.

So if you define the probability of picking an orange sweet as 6/n and then the probability of picking another orange sweet (without replacement) as 5/(n-1) then multiplying these together will equal 1/3.

6/n x 5/(n-1) = 1/3
30/n(n-1) = 1/3
30 = 1/3 x n(n-1)
90 = n(n-1)
n^2 - n - 90 = 0

Is this what part (a) was about? Then solving to get n=10?

I can see why the first part is pretty tricky for a GCSE paper.

edit: also sorry if it's hard to follow the working, maths looks pretty shit without proper formatting
The following 2 users Like Adman's post:
  • Tomo, aviator
(06-05-2015, 11:45 AM)Adman Wrote: I've tried looking for the question and from what I've gathered it tells you hannah has n sweets in which 6 of them are orange. The probability of picking two orange sweets one after the other is 1/3.

So if you define the probability of picking an orange sweet as 6/n and then the probability of picking another orange sweet (without replacement) as 5/(n-1) then multiplying these together will equal 1/3.

6/n x 5/(n-1) = 1/3
30/n(n-1) = 1/3
30 = 1/3 x n(n-1)
90 = n(n-1)
n^2 - n - 90 = 0

Is this what part (a) was about? Then solving to get n=10?

I can see why the first part is pretty tricky for a GCSE paper.

edit: also sorry if it's hard to follow the working, maths looks pretty shit without proper formatting

Yeah, it was part a that was the most difficult, I screwed up the second part because I ran out of time... 69 is usually correct right? Other than the cone and cylinder question, the paper was fine. Looking back I wonder what the fuck was going through my mind on some questions...

(06-04-2015, 09:33 PM)Jericho Wrote: According to my teachers, if you know what topics were in the non-calc you can predict the topics in the calc paper. Is this true? If so how

Not necessarily, exam boards sometimes pull all kind of goodness. Almost copying a question exactly from a previous year or completely skipping out topics. I'm expecting sine/cosine rules, trigonometry, a simultaneous equation (probably quadratic), maybe an algebraic fraction, trial and improvement etc.

Revising strategically rarely works, best to just learn the content and pray the exam board aren't dickheads. For the science papers some of my mates guessed what the 6 mark question would be by looking at past ones... let's just say they were well off.
Regards,
aviator
I sure wish schools spent more time teaching skills that will actually benefit students later in life. Things like getting a job, sorting out your taxes, learning how to drive etc.

Not this bollocks about working out how many sweets Hannah ate.
[Image: P6KNEfH.png]           .       
Steam | Twitter | YouTube
Signature graphic by Barkles
The following 7 users Like Ms. Mudpie's post:
  • Tomo, Benporium, Jericho, Link, builderboy123, HellShell, Dauntless