BMW restoration project
(04-03-2015, 06:04 PM)Noble Wrote:
(04-03-2015, 05:53 PM)Walrus the Overlord Wrote:
I could use the laugh.

[Image: giphy.gif]
The following 2 users Like James_Gaff's post:
  • Tawee, Noble
The following 11 users Like Venom's post:
  • Preditor, Enzyme, James_Gaff, Noble, Tawee, Floodify, equal, Rain, evilmat360, Chumps, SirCrow
(03-30-2015, 09:33 PM)SoulRipper Wrote: As I've mentioned earlier the new BMW will come back, but there were some issues that's why it is delayed.

I do think we should drop the price of the BMW, as this is clearly not the car that stands out and there's no reason to make it extremely expensive then.
I think that the new one should still be 1 million and the old/updated one should not be buy able, only the people who brought/had it well only get it and obviously sell it on but it won't be on the market.
I disagree with Blurr
I say we keep the old one, but add the new one in at say $250G but nerfed? Perhaps no nitrous?
They will do the same thing but one is rare with a different model? If not 1 million maybe 800-850k for the new one.
If the new one will still have around the same speed as the old one then it should also be somewhere around that much. Maybe like 850k. The 150k can compensate the differences in the roll cage and no roll cage!
There are a few areas of the mesh that could've done with more tries added in as well as chamfering to make edges appear smoother, don't be afraid of a few more hundred if not thousand tris, they won't hurt anything and you should be able to preserve the current UVs. The gear stick needs a smoothing group applied to it as well.
Also please add alpha channels for the exterior paint job so that mechanics can colour it without looking like a hideous mess.
Overall though it's a very nice improvement over the old model Smile

edit: Looking closer, there are quite a few areas that desperately need smoothing groups - seats, wing mirrors, dashboard etc. Go in and fix these and it should look much better!
edit 2: The left side floor mat needs it's UV mapping mirrored, the 'BMW' is backwards but that's just nit picking.
The following 2 users Like GRiiM's post:
  • James_Gaff, equal
(04-04-2015, 12:41 AM)GRiiM Wrote: There are a few areas of the mesh that could've done with more tries added in as well as chamfering to make edges appear smoother, don't be afraid of a few more hundred if not thousand tris, they won't hurt anything and you should be able to preserve the current UVs. The gear stick needs a smoothing group applied to it as well.
Also please add alpha channels for the exterior paint job so that mechanics can colour it without looking like a hideous mess.

edit: Looking closer, there are quite a few areas that desperately need smoothing groups - seats, wing mirrors, dashboard etc. Go in and fix these and it should look much better!
edit 2: The left side floor mat needs it's UV mapping mirrored, the 'BMW' is backwards but that's just nit picking.

Yeah I know there are lots of issues, as for the alpha channel a majority of the interior and exterior textures are on the same file, so doing that would also color the inside. I'm really not in the mood to redo the UV maps for the entire interior, especially the piping and rollcage. 

I'm also not doing any 3D edits to the model since I really don't want to break anything at this point. I just spent the past 3 hours working on correcting the rotating collision model that Wormwall loves to pull on me and had to comment out an $hbox that I hope is unneeded at this point since it was preventing me from compiling the model. At this point I'm just hoping the animations are okay.

This is why I hate vehicles in Gmod, lol
The following 1 user Likes Noble's post:
  • GRiiM
(04-04-2015, 01:11 AM)Noble Wrote:
(04-04-2015, 12:41 AM)GRiiM Wrote: There are a few areas of the mesh that could've done with more tries added in as well as chamfering to make edges appear smoother, don't be afraid of a few more hundred if not thousand tris, they won't hurt anything and you should be able to preserve the current UVs. The gear stick needs a smoothing group applied to it as well.

Yeah I know there are lots of issues, as for the alpha channel a majority of the interior and exterior textures are on the same file, so doing that would also color the inside. I'm really not in the mood to redo the UV maps for the entire interior, especially the piping and rollcage. 

I'm also not doing any 3D edits to the model since I really don't want to break anything at this point. I just spent the past 3 hours working on correcting the rotating collision model that Wormwall loves to pull on me and had to comment out an $hbox that I hope is unneeded at this point since it was preventing me from compiling the model. 

This is why I hate vehicles in Gmod, lol

Smoothing groups will not affect the model mesh so the collisions and UVs won't be affected. The collision model would be primarily for the exterior, you should still be able to add tris / chamfer objects inside of the car without the collision model being changed (though I haven't personally tried this) and Max has a checkbox in the 'Edit Poly' modifier to preserve UVs which should work fine. It can't hurt to try, if it doesn't work then you always have a save point of it's current state. 
The re-colourable texture could be done by having a texture skin with the car exterior colour set to white, then in the alpha channel just black everything out except the white exterior paint.