A few questions regarding the DDoSing!
Hello.

I don't know that much about DDoS-protection, but I'm willing to discuss this.

I have experienced that when people DDoS my things, they usually use IPs from Russia/China/other non-western countries, ofcourse this doesn't apply to everyone, but what about DDoSing on Fearless?

The Solution I found when I had a forum once, was to block IP-ranges from countries (was a local forum, so the chance that someone actually looks on a norwegian localforum from China is relatively low.)

This worked as hell, but ofcourse, the people from the countries couldn't access.

I know that might not be ethical, but isn't there any form of IP-ranges you can ban to solve this? I can see you have cloudfare, but I guess that doesn't apply to the Gmod-server?

And you're renting servers, right? What does the webhotel say about the DDoSing?

Just asking because I'm curious! Smile

Sorry if this is brought up for the 15981'th time, hehe.
That really wouldn't be something ideal, as a lot of the FL playerbase is from many different countries so this block would cause quite a few issues. It's just something we have to wait out, after a while they'll just get bored of attacking the servers and go and do something else.
Kind Regards,
Wood.
(08-16-2014, 12:26 AM)Wood Wrote: That really wouldn't be something ideal, as a lot of the FL playerbase is from many different countries so this block would cause quite a few issues. It's just something we have to wait out, after a while they'll just get bored of attacking the servers and go and do something else.

WOOD'S 1337th POST!

On topic, the DDoSing will pretty much never stop, it's something all big servers have to deal with. The main reason is because FL is competition, or they just hate the server for whatever reason. So yeah, the attacks won't stop and you'll just have to live with it unfortunately.
[Image: XiLkxQo.jpg]
The following 2 users Like bismo's post:
  • Wood, James_Gaff
This type of this is right in my field, so i'll try and give some advice even though someone who thinks there a leet hacker will try and correct me.

Most people who attack game servers use either a hosted booter or a self coded one, i had an old friend who made a DOS(Not DDOS - Don't correct this) function that ran on an old laptop that he had plugged into his router. I can't remember what coding language it was but it was either Ruby or C#. But he made it in a way that it wold attack for around 10 minutes every 1 hour. But the severity of the attack was enough to shut the server down for the entire time till it rebooted.

People who have hosted Booters will have a similar function depending on how much they pay. Low budget ones will have limited boot times and cool downs to make sure their own shells dont crash.

So to put it simply, if who ever is attacking the server isn't a 12 year old who thinks he has power using LOIC on his pc the attacks can be scheduled, meaning they won't really get bored as they no longer have to do much in order to boot the servers.

Cloudflare will prevent the forums being taken down in effect, however, there is nothing of the sort available for game servers. Even if there was, constantly checking all ips and the data packets they are sending would probably cause just as much lag.

Long story short - no way to stop ddos attacks. Unless, you null route the IP of the attackers every time it happens. Not efficient as there is an almost infinite possiblilities of IPs that are available due to proxies, VPNS and hosts. But it would stop that attack in its track.

The other way to stop it is to "fight fire with fire.", I also have a friend that ran a Dark RP server. When ever some even said so much as "i will ddos this" i would notice that a guy that i now know as "System 32" Would join the game, followed by the threatening player timing out.

If anyone has even read down this far they are clearly very bored.
wannabe skid
[Image: J8Wdw2Z.gif]
I read down this far.
(08-16-2014, 03:20 PM)Bluejack2727 Wrote: I read down this far.

You are one dirty man.
wannabe skid
[Image: J8Wdw2Z.gif]
IT IS in fact possible to stop attacks on your gameserver, the price of the protection would be alot though, and for a server like this, it wouldn't be worth it. Regarding fighting Fire with Fire, a big server like this would get busted right away for using illegal software.