GCSEs
First exam for me is 5th of May... not even opened a revision guide yet!

(03-07-2015, 06:01 PM)Dwip Wrote: Geography > History

History has a lot of prep work. A few controlled assessments. Geography is generally more interesting in my opinion as well. Taking both is difficult but history is harder work and there is a lot more content you need to remember. Geography is learning something and applying it to somewhere in the world.

I'm with you there. I took history in year 10 and will be doing geog this year. The history exam was ridiculous - something like 3 hours in the exam hall non-stop doing 2 papers. We did depression, war recovery, medicine through time, and role of women. DWR and women are mostly common sense, just need to remember some stats and dates... medicine you need to remember around 12 different people that you can be asked about! Geography is just learn some basics about the topics, a couple of case studies, and then the skills paper which you can easily wing.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke
Well, geography this time round has no cousework.

Instead we have a 4 hour exam.
Considering I get cramp after writing for 10 seconds straight, methinks I'm going to die.

(03-08-2015, 10:19 AM)Safira Wrote: Well, geography this time round has no cousework.

Instead we have a 4 hour exam.
Considering I get cramp after writing for 10 seconds straight, methinks I'm going to die.

4 hours? What exam board is that? I do Cambridge IGCSE and its:

Paper 1: 1 hour 45 minutes, 45% of grade
Paper 2: 1 hour 30 minutes, 27.5% of grade 
Paper 3: Coursework, no time limit, 27.5% of grade

Also on paper one you only answer 3 out of 6 questions so you can actually only revise half of the material and get away with it.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke
I'm doing Edexcel GCSE Geography which has 4 units and 3 exams.

The per cent isn't confirmed, I'm just guessing.
Exam 1: 1 hour (25%)
Exam 2: 1 hour 15 mins (25%)
Exam 3: 1 hour 15 mins (25%)
Controlled Assessment, typically 30 hours, 25%.

4 hours is awfully long, you sure it isn't split up into separate exams?
Regards,
aviator
This is what I'm taking

French (A language is compulsory at my school).
Drama
Media Studies
Double Science
P.E (not studying it, I just have to take P.E).

Then all the compulsory subjects..
Maths
Science
English
English Literature
R.E
[Image: IgcIQgP.png]
The Scottish education system is quite different from GCSE, but I am taking:
History, Computer Science, Music, Chemistry, and French along with compulsory subjects (Math, English, P.E, R.E, SocEd etc)
I got target grades of 7 A's and 2 A*'s to live up to, with the A*'s being maths and stats and the others computer science, triple science and history along with the compulsory ones. Problem is I haven't picked up a book yet. D:
In Norway we have two exams in yr10 (this is when you are 15/16 right), one written (5 hours max) and one oral. (20 min alone, 40 min with partner)

Thank god i dont live in britain, this sounds very stressfull and a bunch of wasted time
[Image: FpROeEz.png]
Barkles is attempting to sleep : )
This is what I was taking GCSE wise:

GCSE History - D
GCSE Drama - Merit / B
GCSE Maths - Pass / C
GCSE English - Merit / B
GCSE Science - Pass / C

Then I did a few BTEC qualifications, which add up equal to 2 GCSEs:

BTEC Sport - Pass / C
BTEC ICT - Distinction * / A*
BTEC Business Studies - Pass / C

Easy as fuck really, I'd choose mainly BTEC qualifications. Not like they matter in a job anymore, people want experience.
GCSE's eh, hate em!

Mine were amusing in many ways, here's what I got -
English - D
Maths - D
General Studies - F
Religious Studies - G
D&T Resistant Materials - F.

Also done some BTEC qualifications, which are so easy, the only way I got a job I reckon -
ASDAN - B
BTEC Science - C
BTECT Business - B
ICT - C x2.
The following 1 user Likes Falc's post:
  • Ivan Tempski