(Resolved) Memory and RAM?
Is there a difference between Memory and RAM? I am looking into buying a new laptop and they mention the Memory but nothing about RAM, are they the same? If not, what is different about them? What does RAM do? What does memory do? Please, do NOT also bring STORAGE into this because that is hell. If you could explain in terms I understand as much as possible I would be happy. Thank you very much Cheese
In simple words:
Memory = Space on your harddrive to store data

RAM = Storage for data which will be used by the cpu within the next seconds, some kinda preparing the data.
playing for
EnRo GRIFFINS - Brink
> 6 years Day of Defeat Source
> 2 years Gmod - experience
^1 year superadmin at a Semiserious RP

Best link on the internet = http://z0r.de/2902
Ask Bio:
20:00 - [FL:RP] BioWulf: damn holy shit
20:00 - [FL:RP] BioWulf: that's awesome

I know Memory and Storage are different so I will challenge the first thing you said.
I think RAM is infact what you said however. Isnt it what your running programs use to power themselves and each one takes up so much?
Ram is Random Access Memory, and it works pretty much like the human brain's short time memory
RAM is the place in a computer where the operating system keeps some applications , so there is fast access to them. The advantage of RAM is that it's much faster to read from and write to than a hard drive.

The following 2 users Like Fleet Admiral Zapington's post:
  • Visual, Noobias
What you need is:
500 GB memory
2 GB and up RAM

Better are 4 GB RAM but 2 are favorable. But if I say you that you have to differ different clock rates and memory rates .... also DDR 1, 2, or 3 RAM .... Cheese

Better search a computer course and learn.
Memory and RAM is the same

although if it says 500 GB memory they properly mean Space on the hard drive

Also if you are buying a new computer consider how much memory(RAM) you graphic card have
[Image: 76561198000682117.png]
I am Murloc. Deal with it
The following 1 user Likes Urcra a Murloc's post:
  • Noobias
(06-09-2011, 01:35 PM)Urcra a Murloc Wrote: Memory and RAM is the same

although if it says 500 GB memory they properly mean Space on the hard drive

Also if you are buying a new computer consider how much memory(RAM) you graphic card have

No? Everything counts. The speed and number cores of your CPU, the RAM of your GPU the RAM and of course the right connections for HDD to your mainboard and your drive.
Of course it's very difficult and hard to understand if you are new in matters computers.

So I am it?
RAM - Random Access Memory. Speeds up your computer by having a short-term place to store stuff. By analogy, if you have a big file cabinet with folders in that you wanna keep - but a small tray on your desk with things you're about to use, the small tray is the RAM.

Around 4GB RAM is plenty for most things.
RAM is 'memory' as most people call it.

Storage is the hard-drive space, eg 500GB.

You can tell which people are referring to contextually, as 500GB of RAM isn't really a thing ... and a 2GB hard drive would be silly.
The following 1 user Likes Sniperwolf's post:
  • Noobias
(06-09-2011, 02:14 PM)Sniperwolf Wrote: Around 4GB RAM is plenty for most things.

But buy 6, 8 or 12gb to be future safe.

RAM Is not very expensive

But yerh, I think Noobias got the idea of what the difference is now.
(06-09-2011, 03:00 PM)Gestapo Wrote:
(06-09-2011, 02:14 PM)Sniperwolf Wrote: Around 4GB RAM is plenty for most things.

But buy 6, 8 or 12gb to be future safe.

RAM Is not very expensive

But yerh, I think Noobias got the idea of what the difference is now.

Get 16gb and Windows wets itself, but it doesn't say that, it just says that it's unstable to cover up the smell of pee. :p