Poll: Do you own a Interactive Compendium?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
28.57%
4 28.57%
No
14.29%
2 14.29%
Planing to buy one
0%
0 0%
What is that?
57.14%
8 57.14%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Official DotA 2 thread
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cSFPIwMEq4

This thread is for everyone that is interested in playing DotA 2. The point of the thread is to try to introduce players to the MOBA/Action RTS franchise and to allow players to find almost everything about DotA 2.

You can post fan arts or fascinating Videos in this thread if you wish.

Spoiler: What is DotA 2?
Dota 2 is a multiplayer online battle arena video game and the stand-alone sequel to the Defense of the Ancients mod for Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and it's expansion, Frozen Throne. Developed by Valve Corporation, the game was released on July 9, 2013 for Microsoft Windows, utilizing a free-to-play business model. OS X and Linux versions of Dota 2 were released on July 18, 2013. Dota 2 is exclusively available through Valve's content delivery platform, Steam.

Dota 2 consists of session-based online multiplayer matches in which two teams of five attempt to destroy the opponents' fortified strongholds. Each player controls a player character called a "hero" and, over the course of each game, will improve their hero's abilities, acquire items, and attack the enemy team whilst applying pressure on their base defenses.

Dota 2 combines the real-time strategy elements of traditional top-down perspective, while also incorporating the leveling and itemization functions of a role-playing video game. Players are pitted against each other as two factions called the Radiant and the Dire. The Radiant faction is based at the southwest corner of the map, while the Dire faction is based at the northeast corner. Utilizing one of six hero selection modes, players select one of 101 "heroes" – strategically powerful units with special abilities, who, through combat experience, may progress to a maximum level of twenty-five. The heroes' methods of combat are heavily influenced by their primary property, which can be strength, agility, or intelligence.

The basic setup of Dota 2 places two strongholds containing critical structures called "Ancients" at opposing ends of a geographically balanced map. These bases are connected by three main paths (referred to as lanes), which are guarded by defensive towers and groups of units commonly referred to as "creeps" which traverse their lanes, attacking enemy units and structures upon sight. Players are split into two teams, each consisting of up to five players, to compete as the primary defenders for each Ancient.

The overall objective of each match is to battle through the opposing force's defenses, and destroy the opponents' Ancient. Because Dota 2 is highly team-oriented, players must coordinate with their teams in order to achieve victory. The towers and stronghold defenses are invulnerable to attacks, so long as the towers nearest to the enemy side still stand, and must be destroyed sequentially – a team cannot destroy the enemy's Ancient without first destroying all towers leading up to it in any one lane.

The currency of the game is gold, which is granted steadily at a slow rate. Gold can be accumulated at a much higher rate by killing enemy units, destroying enemy towers, or killing heroes. Killing units grants gold solely to the player who killed it, killing heroes grants gold to the killer and allies in a close area, and destroying towers gives gold to all players on the team. Killing enemy creeps, heroes, and towers also provides experience, which allows the player's hero to level up, granting access to more powerful skills and abilities. "Denying" is a feature of the game which allows players to inhibit the enemy's ability to accumulate gold and experience by killing an allied unit or destroying an allied structure before an enemy can do so. Denying reduces the amount of experience and gold the enemy faction can receive for the kill. Allied heroes may also be denied if they are on critically low health and have a fatal spell applied to them.

Featured across the map are units referred to as "neutrals", which are not aligned to a faction, primarily located in the forests. Located on the southeast side of the river is a boss called "Roshan" who typically requires multiple team members to be killed. Following his death, Roshan will drop a powerful item which allows for a hero to instantly respawn at the location of their death if they are killed.

[spoiler=Other Official Trailers/Videos]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrF8NNvO6Zw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKCS2No2xPs

http://www.youtube.com/user/dota2/featured
[/spoiler]

Spoiler: International (Competitive DotA)
The International is an annual E-sports Dota 2 championship tournament hosted by the American video game developer Valve Corporation, in which sixteen teams are personally invited to compete. The tournament began as the first public debut of Dota 2 in August 2011 at Gamescom, with a total prize pot of $2,721,550 million U$D, with a grand prize of 1,360,775 million dollars going towards the championship team, setting the record for being the most lucrative video game tournament at the time.

http://www.dota2.com/tournaments/interna...ouncement/

I personal is a very dedicated DotA 2 player (With over 400 hours ingame within a 6 month time frame). My favorite Heroes are (From most fav and downwards): Omniknigth, Enchantress, Phantom Assassin and Templar Assassin.

DotA 2 is a Free to Play, you can get it here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/570

Up to 0:10 - More Dota 2 keys

On topic...
Great post! A lot of effort has been put into this Smile
Kind Regards,
Link
Veteran

Haven't played much Dota 2, but here's some footage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xON6Z37G0zE

Have to admit that I prefer League of Legends. But let's not bring up a war between those games, since both are nice in their own way.
[Image: yk9I3Jg.png]
I continue to tell myself "Try Dota2, it'll be fun!"
But i never get around to it, I'll try to make an effort to play it a bit, and watch some videos about it to get the hang of the gameplay Cheese
[Image: 60e0d10cb7aa2d87b0dbbf25564f8dca.png]
dig

Musician, Ex-Administrator
Newest stretch gold for the Interactive Compendium have been reached. All owners of a Interactive Compendium now get a Custom HUD.
The International update:

DD.Dota won against ROX.KIS, allowing them to attend the Ti3 in Seattle Washington. ROX.KIS have to win against Mousesports to get a chance to join the Ti3 event as a Wildcard against the 2nd place of the East Qualifier.

ROX.KIS lost against Mousesports and the Grandfinale will be at May 19th 17:00 CEST (UTC +2). Mousesports vs DD.Dota. The loser will have another chance to participate in Ti3 the night before Ti3 against the Followup at the East Qualifier.

The predictions for the East Qualifier is now locked in the Compendium.
May 23, 2013 - Valve

- Fixed an issue where Chinese audio was playing incorrectly.
- Added Canada Cup, Americas Tournament and Raidcall S3 tournaments.

May 21, 2013 - Valve

GAMEPLAY
- Elder Titan: Fixed Ancestral Spirit giving vision to Elder Titan while dead.
- Elder Titan: Fixed Earth Splitter being placed slightly too far forward.
- Elder Titan: Fixed Natural Order not getting upgraded on the Ancestral Spirit if it was already in the air.
- Elder Titan: Fixed Natural Order sometimes not getting applied before Ancestral Spirit's damage.
- Ursa: Fixed Fury Swipes stack getting dispelled with Magic Immunity

PERFORMANCE
- Added vsync support to windowed modes
- Reduced memory fragmentation

COMMUNITY
- There are now 6 broadcaster channels
- Added map ping throttling for communication banned players

INTERNATIONAL COMPENDIUM
- Now highlights Compendiums that are gifts from other players.
- Updated with new stretch goals.
- Prize pool now displays how much the Compendium owner has contributed.
- Fixed an issue where the Smeevil Courier view counter was not updating correctly.

DOTA ECONOMY
- Particles on unusual couriers work again.
- Strange items that count things other than kills work again.
Meh, I'll play some with ya. My main is anti-Mage, but I can really play any hero.
[Image: 50ab3149cf062bcb0ae67f2b7d96f1d9.png]
I also have 40 Dota keys.

Is it bad that I can name every item in that trailer?

Also, ANYONE who plays Drow Ranger will be ridiculed by yours truly.

I will add you tomorrow!
(05-24-2013, 02:37 AM)LoneWolf Wrote: Is it bad that I can name every item in that trailer?
Nope

(05-24-2013, 02:37 AM)LoneWolf Wrote: Also, ANYONE who plays Drow Ranger will be ridiculed by yours truly.
Not that surprised, Drows counter is melee carries and Nukers. Unless she outfarm you.

(05-24-2013, 02:37 AM)LoneWolf Wrote: I will add you tomorrow!

Don't sweet it, I don't play with other people anyway.

Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLOlGkipXyU
I remember I got really into Dota for a few days. It might be useful for newer players to post a link to a guide or something, especially explaining lingo such as 'carry' and other things that I've already forgotten. Tounge