What is the difference between ban and blacklist?
Question 
I had a ban request turned down because the admin said a blacklist was better, but I dont know the difference, so can someone tell me?
A ban restricts your overall access to the servers, a blacklist restricts your access to a certain tool or item (i.e vehicles, weapons, etc.)
Basically what Narcotic said;
Some admins/moderators prefer issuing a blacklist request as you have to actually be on the server for it to be removed (the blacklist time is ingame time) therefore you learn what you can and can't do based on others actions while you aren't able to cause any problems to the server the same way you were doing so before.

A ban is basically a suspension from the server, you can't come on the server while you are banned and you are only able to come back on when the ban time has expired.

Often I see Moderators and admins issuing both a ban and a blacklist, mainly for the larger rule infractions.
Lead by example.
The following 1 user Likes Al sevenfold's post:
  • Nancy
well how do I request a blacklist if there are no admins online? (btw I did this post on a DSi xl lol Cheese )
Post a ban request, if the ban request is deemed to have a blacklist to be issued, that will happen. Judgement of cases including punishment is up to the individual administrator that handles the case.