Merchants and prices
In the past few days I have done quite a bit of merchant RP, mainly a Gun-Dealer.

The reason for this thread is one thing that I've noticed, mainly in OOC. People don't understand prices.
Let me clarify: There is no rule or law that prevents merchants from setting whichever price they gosh darn want. They can set it at 1,000,000$ for a single seed if they want, it's their right as merchants.

What people also don't understand is a thing called profit. It's the main reason why merchants exist, hell it's the SOLE reason anyone would want to be a merchant. A 30% profit is not a "rip-off" or "against the rules". Real Life traders make a much larger profit, so this is pretty fair.

The main origin of these complaints, from what I've gathered, are the newer players who've just started playing. They often charge market value for everything, or ask for a 100$ profit on gun shipments (which cost a lot more). That's bad for business. It makes all other traders hit the dirt with their prices, it also makes guns more available... and we all know where that goes.

I still remember my first GMod RP, I was a Gun Dealer on a Dark RP server, where I had to argue with every single customer about me charging 10% more on the market price, mainly because it was "unfair" to actually make a profit.

This is mainly a thread to raise awareness and explain some facts. Hopefully, some newer players will read this and start charging more, thus earning more money for themselves and keeping the market stable.
The following 5 users Like DoomDude1's post:
  • Pechvarry, equal, edgie, Flux, Russkie
I agree with you, but a few reasons people get angry:
First off, unlike some other servers, no crafting system exists. After you get the job, you click one button, and there are guns. People see the market price, and see that no effort is required, so they don't want such a higher price.
Another thing is how we can all see the price in general on the market, unlike fish, which takes work and sets it's own economy. The fact the market has a price on it that everyone knows makes people not like a large price raise.
(01-30-2013, 03:53 PM)The Honored Wrote: I agree with you, but a few reasons people get angry:
First off, unlike some other servers, no crafting system exists. After you get the job, you click one button, and there are guns. People see the market price, and see that no effort is required, so they don't want such a higher price.
Another thing is how we can all see the price in general on the market, unlike fish, which takes work and sets it's own economy. The fact the market has a price on it that everyone knows makes people not like a large price raise.

And it's a good think that everyone can see the price, that means the market will never go sky-high.

What people don't understand is how simple the trade is. I ask for money, you give it to me, I give you the items. I ask for money, you don't want to give it to me, I say "Goodbye" and turn to the next customer who will pay.

They don't like it because they can't grab a merchant's slot in time. The people who usually complain spend 90% of their time sitting in a remote location watching seven objects produce money for nothing. At least this way there's some RP to it.

Thankfully to my somewhat-full in-game wallet, I can afford to be picky. I won't haggle (or at least not a lot), I can afford to ask for a 20-30% profit - if they refuse, I simply say "No deal"... many of them fold at that point.
This one guy yelled at me and tried to get people not to buy from me cause I didn't sell 5 shrooms for the marketing price, thus giving me no profit. He said "That's the point I don't want you to make profit"

Lol it was hilarious the guy sounded like he was between 15 - 20 yet he didn't understand marketing and business.

Yep, this is great, good tips mate, and good clarification.
Holy crap. You sell things for profit? No wai!!! Hax! But in all seriousness I sell for whatever I want and if people don't like it there are always 2 slots. Find the other guy.
(01-30-2013, 05:01 PM)Jokhah Wrote: Holy crap. You sell things for profit? No wai!!! Hax! But in all seriousness I sell for whatever I want and if people don't like it there are always 2 slots. Find the other guy.

Luckily, the other guy usually has around 0-20 hours and doesn't know how to/can't fulfil large orders... Then they come crawling back.
I'd also like to warn people out there NOT to try and hoodwink new players into thinking charging for goods/services is against the rules. If I see anyone doing this you will be punished.
The following 3 users Like Adman's post:
  • DoomDude1, Salinsky, Russkie
Ahh Doom I couldn't agree more, when you were telling that gun dealer the other day to sell his wares a bit higher because at the price he was selling, he was making little money. But in the end he didn't listen.

At the end of the day they can sell it at any price they want to, I mean a BMD tried to sell 5 shrooms to me for 10k. Good fight but no cigar, thanks for playing.
Lead by example.
The most I can usually sell things for is 250 higher than the market price, because if I go any higher people rage and leave and call it a ripoff.