[Tool/Guide] How to: Record A Demo
Topic: Recording demos and how to save your hard drive from those annoyingly huge recordings!
Objective: To record a demo successfully and play it back to be recorded with a third-party program. (Get dxtory!)
Tutorial:
I feel that recording for ban requests is a pain in the butt. They're absolutely huge, as well! They take a while to process, and since it sometimes take a while to get the point across, it just keeps building up. It'll take so long to upload to youtube with that filesize that you give up. I'd like to teach you a few things that can help you sway away from this.
Demos:
Demo's are a god send among gods. They're low file size, easy to work with, and just as good as recording! They don't blow your frame rate out of the water and have hardly any performance impact on your system. Yet a lot of people hardly know about demos or now how to work with them! I'm here to teach you how.
Recording/Starting a Demo:
To record a demo, go into your console and type in "record <filename>," this will begin a demo. To access your console, press the ~ (tilde) which is above your tab key on most keyboards. Is it not coming up? That's fine! Go into your options, go to your binds and click on advanced. There should be a tick mark to enable developer console with a (~) next to it. Just tick that and press okay. You're good to go!
PROTIP: For the added convenience of quick recording similar to fraps, bind a key to quickdemo. This won't name it specifically to your liking, but proves useful in many situations! It should look like this: (bind <key> quickdemo)

Stopping a Demo:
As simple as simple gets. Just type stop in console and it'll stop the recording. If you'd really like, you can just bind this to a key. (bind <key> stop)

Playing Back a Demo:
Playing a demo is where it gets a bit different. When you play a demo, it is almost exactly like you're replaying that whole situation. You can choose to drive around/no clip around the world and look at a scene from different view points. To initially play a demo, type in "playdemo <filename>" Is it not working/can you not find your file? Easy! Just go into your garrysmod folder (the very last garrymods folder, not the first!) and demos will be located there. You can also click on those when Garry's Mod is not running and it'll play the demo as well!

Controlling the Environment in a Demo:
Controlling your demo is another thing. There's a UI that allows you to fast foward, rewind, play the demo over again, jump to a different frame, and a whole lot more. For general use, you'll probably use the more simple UI. To enable the UI, type in "demoui2" (simple UI) or "demoui1" (a more complex UI with drive). You can also just press Shift + F2 to bring it up during a demo. With the UI, you can get your point across a lot faster with a smaller file size by increasing the playback speed. A one minute scene that explains it could be sped up to 30 seconds of recording time (half the size!) just by speeding it up to 200%.
WARNING: In some cases this can deteriorate your evidence! Watch over it to make sure that the admin watching the video isn't missing anything compared to the original speed.
You're done! Just record the demo as you normally would.

Uncategorized:
Insist on still using fraps or dxtory and directly recording the scene? That's okay! It's your choice. If you do want to record directly, though, please think about getting Dxtory! It's a thousand times better in every way. If you use fraps and you're getting huge file sizes, try out Handbrake or VirtualDub. There should be some tutorials on Youtube, but a codec that is absolutely perfect in compressing the file insanely yet keeping the quality amazing is x264. I'm not great at explaining that type of stuff, but if you really, really need the help, just message me!

Examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...8gmau3ZVR8
Have any questions? Just post them! I'll quote them here in case anyone has a question similar to yours.
The following 4 users Like mono's post:
  • Giant Pony, Mist, Sgtbender2000, Techdaan
A detailed and useful guide.

Approved.
The following 1 user Likes Adman's post:
  • mono
Over a thousand hours, and I never knew that... O_o
Nice job

Curious how it's roleplay; but useful.
Thanks. His cleared out some problems I had.
I'll go check if it works ASAP!
I always wondered what the demo thing would ever do before!
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6672/z47f.png
Click the signature to give me a +rep If I was helpful.

Signature too large. -Termin
I knew about demos, and used them alot, but I never knew about the UI you can use to make this more effective.

Love you for the quickdemo tip, and the UI tip,

Techdaan.

* Techdaan presses the Like button.