Unban yo
Your name: El Stromo

Your ban ID: 9524

Banned by: Holdem

Server: Uh both I think?

Involved: The dude who posted the ban request:
http://www.fearlessrp.net/showthread.php?tid=13263

Why we should unban you: Because I think a 24 hour ban for saying "cigarettes" in OOC chat is taking it over the top massively. I didn't even know players couldn't say that, fair enough banning people for homophobia but its not like I used it in a homophobic way.
I also don't think the admin in question took too much time making the decision, i've had a clean record for over 800 hours.

Also while I'm here is swearing banned?
Aye, in my mind, the ban is indeed over the top. It wasn't used in a homophobic way in the slightest, and on a game where terrorism/drugs/murder/violence/gun crime/dictatorships are extremely common occurences, we shouldn't be banning a person for saying "cigarette" as for the same amount of time they would get banned for say, intentionally CDMing 1 or 2 people.

If necessary, a few minute mute would have been more appropriate. I vote for an unban. Any admins object?
I've blacklisted people from OOC from insults, yet people keep doing it. People aren't taking "***" or "F*g" insults seriously, they just risk getting "a blacklist" for a while. In my opinion we should really enforce these rules more harshly. What if one of the players he was calling a F*g was actually gay? People don't seem to think when insulting, and chances are there will be a few homosexual/bisexual people playing in the server.

I vote for the ban to stay, as a punishment and a warning for others that we will not tolerate Racism/Homophobia, even if it's "Not intended that way". We still ban people for saying "***", even if it wasn't intended to be racist, just an insult, so why not with F*g?

I would also like to bring this to the attention of Pinkie Pie, SoulRipper and Nudleholz to hear their imput on this.

Regards,
Holdem.
Live a good life. If there's a god and he's just, he will not care of how devout you are, he will accept you for the virtues you have based your life upon. If there's no god, then you will have gone, but you will have lived a noble life which will stay in the memories of those that you love.
(05-08-2012, 03:31 PM)Holdem Wrote: I've blacklisted people from OOC from insults, yet people keep doing it. People aren't taking "***" or "F*g" insults seriously, they just risk getting "a blacklist" for a while. In my opinion we should really enforce these rules more harshly. What if one of the players he was calling a F*g was actually gay? People don't seem to think when insulting, and chances are there will be a few homosexual/bisexual people playing in the server.

I vote for the ban to stay, as a punishment and a warning for others that we will not tolerate Racism/Homophobia, even if it's "Not intended that way". We still ban people for saying "***", even if it wasn't intended to be racist, just an insult, so why not with F*g?

I would also like to bring this to the attention of Pinkie Pie, SoulRipper and Nudleholz to hear their imput on this.

Regards,
Holdem.

At the end of the day the internet is the internet, I'm pretty sure gays/bis are pretty used to people using the word 'cigarette' without taking massive offence.

I've seen admins insult people too. It's not a huge thing lol.

Its all very petty and pointless if you ask me, at the same time as this 'Rulebreak' occuring there were prop pushers, RDM'ers, Hackers, and other minges all over V33x...I mean look at the screenshot in the ban request, you could see me talking with a dude who'd built a door and blocked me in my own house while they raided...Surely they are a bigger problem than someone saying cigarette?
(05-08-2012, 03:35 PM)Strom Wrote: At the end of the day the internet is the internet, I'm pretty sure gays/bis are pretty used to people using the word '***' without taking massive offence.

I'm used to hearing people insult each other, to see in the news that someone's been raped, someone's been killed... It still doesn't mean because it's something that happens "A lot" it's less of a problem, in my opinion.

(05-08-2012, 03:35 PM)Strom Wrote: I've seen admins insult people too. It's not a huge thing lol.

You should report them. Admins shouldn't give out this image.

(05-08-2012, 03:35 PM)Strom Wrote: Its all very petty and pointless if you ask me, at the same time as this 'Rulebreak' occuring there were prop pushers, RDM'ers, Hackers, and other minges all over V33x...I mean look at the screenshot in the ban request, you could see me talking with a dude who'd built a door and blocked me in my own house while they raided...Surely they are a bigger problem than someone saying ***?

The difference is Strom, that they reported you, therefore you are being punished. If you had reported them, they would be punished too. You should start reporting rule breakage instead of insulting or taking matters into your own hand, same goes for everybody.

As stated, if you have further evidence that they actually blocked your door, please post a ban request and we'll deal with it accordingly.

Kind Regards,
Holdem.
Live a good life. If there's a god and he's just, he will not care of how devout you are, he will accept you for the virtues you have based your life upon. If there's no god, then you will have gone, but you will have lived a noble life which will stay in the memories of those that you love.
Since when was insulting people the same as raping and killing them?
Lol powertrip.
Anyway I'm gonna leave this for the superadmins to make a decision on.
Just to throw in my few cents.

I vouch for the ban to stay. We shouldn't tolerate calling other people "cigarettes". Not now and not further on.
They got offended by it and that is what matters.

Saying that this is the internet doesn't really change the insult. It's illegal to harass other people IRL and there for it should also be on the internet.

Besides, Storm you've been here for ages. As you said yourself, you have approx 800 hours. You should know that insulting other people isn't allowed.
It never was.
(05-08-2012, 04:16 PM)StillAlive Wrote: Just to throw in my few cents.

I vouch for the ban to stay. We shouldn't tolerate calling other people "cigarettes". Not now and not further on.
They got offended by it and that is what matters.

Saying that this is the internet doesn't really change the insult. It's illegal to harass other people IRL and there for it should also be on the internet.

Besides, Storm you've been here for ages. As you said yourself, you have approx 800 hours. You should know that insulting other people isn't allowed.
It never was.

I've never been shouted at or punished for saying cigarette pal. Or swearing for that matter.
Wasn't even an insult, said it in exactly the same way as someone saying "Hey ladies!" to a group of people.
Think you guys should stop being pedantic
If we want to clear out all possibility of offending anyone, then it makes sense to ban all RP involving guns/political views/marriage/murder/violence/economy prices/medical RP/terrorism/bombs/black market/driving cars too fast/police/etcetera. Everything can offend someone, and in my mind all of the political RP/terrorism RP can offend people a whole lot more than a few minor insults which aren't particularly directed to cause harm/offense.

It's also worth bearing in mind thats Garrysmod on multiplayer servers should be rated teen or mature. Especially on our server, mature. Any other game with murder/terrorism etc would definitely be a mature game. If people can't handle a few curses (extreme offense is an exception ofc), then they should not be on our server, nor would I want them, they obviously aren't mature enough for it.
(05-08-2012, 04:32 PM)Faustie Wrote: It's also worth bearing in mind thats Garrysmod on multiplayer servers should be rated teen or mature. Especially on our server, mature. Any other game with murder/terrorism etc would definitely be a mature game. If people can't handle a few curses (extreme offense is an exception ofc), then they should not be on our server, nor would I want them, they obviously aren't mature enough for it.

Sure, people should think about what game they're playing. But we're not talking about Gordon Freeman crowbarring a zombie or Ghost from Call of Duty making a headshot.
We are talking about a human being getting insulted by the words written by Storm. It's getting personal and I do not think anybody feels that's very pleasant. He didn't say it IC nor did he know the guy OOC.

Well, I'm not saying that Storm did this to show hate or similar against the guy. I am just implying that it's not tolerated and as a player with 800 hours, he should be able to know.