The Pulse: Community Catch Up | 2WC 13 Nov
Lol it’s so humbling having them realise they’ve actually ruined FL
IF YOUR READING THIS YOUR MOMMA A COUGAR
The following 3 users Like Cox's post:
  • Montana, Suarez, ART
(12-05-2023, 06:25 PM)De CodeerHeer Wrote: Stop pulling that dead horse. Let it die in peace.

I think it is completely possible to revive FL and bring it back to what it once was.

But it needs to be done by someone who understands Gmod, FL and what made the game good before.

You can't just make updates and wonder why nobody comes. Which I feel is ultimately what the team has done the past 2 years +
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
The following 2 users Like Haarek's post:
  • ART, Julern
(12-10-2023, 12:53 PM)Haarek Wrote:
(12-05-2023, 06:25 PM)De CodeerHeer Wrote: Stop pulling that dead horse. Let it die in peace.

I think it is completely possible to revive FL and bring it back to what it once was.

But it needs to be done by someone who understands Gmod, FL and what made the game good before.

You can't just make updates and wonder why nobody comes. Which I feel is ultimately what the team has done the past 2 years +

You can't do anything simple and expect the server to be what it once was, I agree throwing out updates is as useless as simply reverting the gamemode back. We aren't just trying to throw out random stuff though, we're addressing core issues that makes the server annoying to play on especially as a new player. It theortically should work, just it has required a significant amount of development which has been our current downfall.

One thing I will say now is we're not just reverting stuff and throwing up the server, I'd much rather try finish our plan off which is much more likely to work. I also don't see how the server sitting at 0 players is any different to it being down. We'll have a meeting soon and we'll write out something before Christmas, might take a while as a lot of management are busy right now but it'll be within the next two weeks. We also haven't given up, it would be really easy to cut our losses but the server deserves better than that and better than what we've done so far. I don't think there is much more I can add until we meet as a team and write up a post about stuff, however, if there's anything specific anyone wants us to address we can talk about it.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
(12-08-2023, 01:15 PM)Marty Wrote: Mavis coded backdoors into the game mode.

Gotta say, I love gossip.

I'm not saying that FL should be put to rest, I said that from a developer's standpoint, the gamemode that is currently being dragged into a slow and painful death should be put down.

(12-11-2023, 01:37 AM)Pollux Wrote: You can't do anything simple and expect the server to be what it once was, I agree throwing out updates is as useless as simply reverting the gamemode back. We aren't just trying to throw out random stuff though, we're addressing core issues that makes the server annoying to play on especially as a new player. It theortically should work, just it has required a significant amount of development which has been our current downfall.

The issue I'm having with this approach is the long and painful silence everyone is experiencing without seeing any major improvements. I know, you all have been working hard on the gamemode, and promise to have something "improved" up an running within a certain timescale. But meanwhile the community is waiting with no light at the end of the tunnel. Especially as we had something, and now we have nothing. Only a promise to hold on to.

These "pulse" posts brought nothing but misunderstanding and frustration towards people who do not understand the technical aspect of development. No one cares how many lines of code has been changed. We want to see results. Like the scarce amount of actual update posts I've seen and got excited about.

There was a possibility to keep the server running, even though for only a small amount of available playerslots. Host in-game events, promote things, and keep developing alongside. Maybe even have a beta server testing sprint features. Something.
(12-11-2023, 02:13 PM)De CodeerHeer Wrote:

I'm not saying that FL should be put to rest, I said that from a developer's standpoint, the gamemode that is currently being dragged into a slow and painful death should be put down.

(12-11-2023, 01:37 AM)Pollux Wrote: You can't do anything simple and expect the server to be what it once was, I agree throwing out updates is as useless as simply reverting the gamemode back. We aren't just trying to throw out random stuff though, we're addressing core issues that makes the server annoying to play on especially as a new player. It theortically should work, just it has required a significant amount of development which has been our current downfall.

The issue I'm having with this approach is the long and painful silence everyone is experiencing without seeing any major improvements. I know, you all have been working hard on the gamemode, and promise to have something "improved" up an running within a certain timescale. But meanwhile the community is waiting with no light at the end of the tunnel. Especially as we had something, and now we have nothing. Only a promise to hold on to.

These "pulse" posts brought nothing but misunderstanding and frustration towards people who do not understand the technical aspect of development. No one cares how many lines of code has been changed. We want to see results. Like the scarce amount of actual update posts I've seen and got excited about.

There was a possibility to keep the server running, even though for only a small amount of available playerslots. Host in-game events, promote things, and keep developing alongside. Maybe even have a beta server testing sprint features. Something.

I agree with a beta server idea -- would be a good way to allow players to login and get a feel for the server again. No pressure for dev team for crashes/bugs because it's a beta server, and people would expect things to break a bit. Maybe once every sprint / a weekend every 3 weeks, etc. Better than nothing. Depends what management think about it, but nice idea!
Regards,
Edned

[Image: get.php?s=STEAM_0:0:51199704&b=16]
+Rep
The following 5 users Like Edned's post:
  • Self, Robbtja, Wolven, Ausverkauft, Kryptic
On a serious note when is future RP coming out been waiting for a long time now?
(12-11-2023, 02:31 PM)Cox Wrote: On a serious note when is future RP coming out been waiting for a long time now?

2052 is the planned release year.
The following 1 user Likes De CodeerHeer's post:
  • Edned

We could've kept the server up and it is something we debated a lot, ultimately we decided it is better for the server to be down compared to sitting at 0 players (which it was at for many months before we shut it down). I would argue that if the server was still up at 0 players, there wouldn't be as many talking about missing FL or wanting to see it come back. A lot of the other issues are just due to everything taking significantly longer than expected, I don't think it is a secret that we wanted to put the server down for a few months and then relaunch with a ton of stuff. The pulse is similar, it was never meant to be a long-term thing but rather something until the next dev blog. The forums were moved to a small VM on my own server a while ago to save on cost, which means putting the server up isn't really an option. We could do smaller short tests if there's interest, but nothing long term for now.

Things have been quiet but part of it is intentional, there isn't much point in making a ton of noise until we're very sure we can hit an actual relaunch date. The unintentional part is that work has also been slow. It would suck if we generated a ton of hype just for it to slowly fizzle out due to delays and such, especially with how unpredictable FL development (mostly time) is. It might be the wrong way to do it, but I feel like staying quiet until we're basically done is the only way to avoid any further disappointment than what has already happened. The way I see it is that FL is already dead and was dead long before we took the server down. It can't really get more dead than it already is, which gives us time to do whatever we need to get done before trying to revive it. Once we're basically done, we can focus on generating hype and advertising as we'd be confident we can actually hit a date.

There are many things I would've done differently over the past year, but right now I don't see a better option for us.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
(12-11-2023, 03:01 PM)Pollux Wrote:

We could've kept the server up and it is something we debated a lot, ultimately we decided it is better for the server to be down compared to sitting at 0 players (which it was at for many months before we shut it down). I would argue that if the server was still up at 0 players, there wouldn't be as many talking about missing FL or wanting to see it come back. A lot of the other issues are just due to everything taking significantly longer than expected, I don't think it is a secret that we wanted to put the server down for a few months and then relaunch with a ton of stuff. The pulse is similar, it was never meant to be a long-term thing but rather something until the next dev blog. The forums were moved to a small VM on my own server a while ago to save on cost, which means putting the server up isn't really an option. We could do smaller short tests if there's interest, but nothing long term for now.

Things have been quiet but part of it is intentional, there isn't much point in making a ton of noise until we're very sure we can hit an actual relaunch date. The unintentional part is that work has also been slow. It would suck if we generated a ton of hype just for it to slowly fizzle out due to delays and such, especially with how unpredictable FL development (mostly time) is. It might be the wrong way to do it, but I feel like staying quiet until we're basically done is the only way to avoid any further disappointment than what has already happened. The way I see it is that FL is already dead and was dead long before we took the server down. It can't really get more dead than it already is, which gives us time to do whatever we need to get done before trying to revive it. Once we're basically done, we can focus on generating hype and advertising as we'd be confident we can actually hit a date.

There are many things I would've done differently over the past year, but right now I don't see a better option for us.

I can think of a good option you give your ownership up to someone who actually wants it instead of holding onto FL that no one actually wants to play due to your fuck up for last 2 years. I’m not actually having a dig at you saying this but you generally have pushed most of the people away who actually cared for FL. I’m not just saying this is all you but your group of friends as well who went against everything that people wanted FL to develop into, you got what you wanted now you’re scratching your head wondering what to do. Instead of turning this community into what you wanted you should have thought about other people wanted because we was what kept this server alive. PolluxRP has been one big fuck up and I’m not gonna lie it’s funny to see as the man who thought he knows it all actually knows nothing.
The following 1 user Likes Cox's post:
  • Lewwings
Genuinely curious.

How do you "revive" something that lost pretty much all of its extended playerbase due to disinterest, work, life, aging out of it, etc? You speak of generating hype and advertising - but actually how?

You'd be starting from scratch with almost nothing.

[Image: jUcv1hb.png]

The following 2 users Like Lewwings's post:
  • Ausverkauft, Ivan Tempski