Fishing bait
(04-27-2015, 04:14 PM)BlackDog Wrote:
(04-27-2015, 04:08 PM)MacTavish Wrote: Update removed sadly, it was kinda boring....

Not everything in a player economy will be exciteing, fishing in itself is probably one of the most boring things on FL yet people do it.

Hopefully this will come back
You just want to make it even more boring?
(04-28-2015, 07:57 AM)Marty Wrote: Not everyone plays it that often to make good use of this. If food perished people would be coming on with 0 food. Buying more food. By the time they get back on the server they will have 0 food.
Blacklists require playtime, not just time. Why not make food like that?
Besides, perishable food will allow for a new entity... a FRIDGE!!!1!!

OT:
With all due respect, I agree with some of the slightly negative comments.
Realism is great. Keeps us all *puts on dope shades and does a gang symbol* fresh, innit. 
But please please PLEASE. 

Maintain the simplicity of CityRP.

We already have 68 commands. 68
The old guns were outdated, yes. The new ones look magical, fine. But all this 10284x0.09 ammunition and 45 second disarm time is just inconvenient more than anything else.
I'm all for adding bait and fishing and a player-driven-economy. But if it means yet more commands plus a treasure hunt to find an entity that will give me one measly little fish (And even then it's not certain), then forget it.

The following 2 users Like Safira's post:
  • DVN, Faustie
We've been going through some of your feedback, and the current ideas are as such:

The standard fishing model will remain, but we'll rename 'fish' into 'mackerel'. For the time being it'll remain just as good, but once Wood implements his new recipies and meal system then mackerel will be one of the lowest base foods, but still good enough to keep people fed.

A new fly-fishing rod will be added which uses lobworms (live worms) as bait, and produces trout or something.

These ones below we'll consider as the time goes by, but we could add them:
- An electric lure rod will be added which uses processed lobworms as bait and fishes salmon.
- A lobster cage which uses mackerel (or rotten mackerel if we implement decay) as bait
- A harpoon to catch tuna

What we're trying to do here is implement a more player-driven economy, and fishing is a good place to start, but we're also trying to keep the basics simple, so you'll still be able to fish for mackerel normally. The bait and other types of fish will be slowly added, and we'll gauge community reaction to these things carefully. This allows us to both keep the simplicity of cityRP that lets people get started, but also adds more player-driven economics (including more opportunities for new and old players to legally earn money rather than contrawhoring) and slightly more complex systems for our older players.

To put it simply: we're still trying to preserve simplicity, while also adding slightly more complex systems and player-driven commodities.

[Image: ac9ab30f4b387f053de0efac7b2aefa3.png]
The following 1 user Likes Faustie's post:
  • Brynn
As for the comments regarding simplicity: I agree with you completely. We have far, far too many commands. This is through no fault of any individual devs, but as time has gone by people have been adding more and more systems, and the easiest way for many people to use these systems is a command. It's simple, but as the number increases it becomes worse.

I do have a couple of ideas to improve this, but it'll take a bit of time. My chief idea is to work on a GUI that replaces many of the commands, but derma looks horrible and I don't have the experience to make a good GUI. Another idea is to remove some commands and tie their functions into existing entities and weapons. For example: remove /pursuit and tie it into the secondary fire function of the radar gun, rather than using a command.

The new fishing system will add no new commands.
I think personally.

We should leave the fishing as is. Ain't no body got time to be crouching around a field in the middle of no where for worms. It's ridiculous. I like the thought. But I don't think it has a place.

Economies are great.

However major flaw. An economy in which you can buy money will never work. No matter how hard you try.
[Image: giphy.gif]
The following 2 users Like Marty's post:
  • Jono, Safira
(04-28-2015, 07:54 PM)Marty Wrote: I think personally.

We should leave the fishing as is. Ain't no body got time to be crouching around a field in the middle of no where for worms. It's ridiculous. I like the thought. But I don't think it has a place.

You don't need to worry about it, we've made it so that you can still fish the same easy way (without bait). So why are you still concerned? 

Maybe you don't have time, but other people do have time and want more interactive gameplay, rather than just standing on the pier and looking up when you get a notification. 
(04-28-2015, 08:54 PM)Nevy Wrote:
(04-28-2015, 07:54 PM)Marty Wrote: I think personally.

You don't need to worry about it, we've made it so that you can still fish the same easy way (without bait). So why are you still concerned? 

Maybe you don't have time, but other people do have time and want more interactive gameplay, rather than just standing on the pier and looking up when you get a notification. 

So people would rather crouch when they have a notification. Then go stand at the pier and look up when they get a notification?

It just seems illogical. And why am I concerned. Because I like to play the game, and I like to put my thoughts out when there is discussions....if that's alright with you....[Image: Mentle.gif]
The point is less the actual mechanics involved in either fishing or gathering (both mechanics suck and are technically boring), but the additional food types and commodities this will supply.

[Image: 5275249685bd71c5df9936272c37e289.png]

This is what we're currently thinking, only instead of a recipe for processed bait it would use a small contraband-like entity; legal contraband, so to speak. Along with changes with the food system (per Wood's meals update he's working on), this'll add multiple tiers of fish, each one better than the other (original fish will be nerfed). So we've got two new player-produced items which have no inherent market value, so it'll be based on supply and demand (especially if we eventually increase the demand for food), and difficulty increases (due to needing bait) but clear bonuses for using said bait. We've simplified the multiple rod system and instead decided to just keep all of this under the one fishing rod.
The following 2 users Like Faustie's post:
  • Benporium, Brynn
Yeah now that looks good Faustie. However. Until all that is ready I don't think the change should be implemented.

At least that way it is more worthwhile.
If you can't find a model for a shovel try making one maybe?