Is The Word "Reich," Offensive?
Hello! I have a simple question, with hope-fully a simple answer. A friend and I have plans for professional, yet adversary clan. This idea was sprung when we thought that all these spy-related organisations are getting old, and have nothing to do other than to perform for themselves. So we wanted to create a clan, seen as the oppressor. An oppressor which allows spy-related clans some good-quality role-play and long awaited action!

Due to the fact we will be the prime-target for all of these clans, we need to be extremely prepared to take the full brunt of them, with an over-whelming sense of professionalism, organisation, and preparation. We gathered some sound-tracks of the fourth reich speaking from Metro 2033. We had hoped they didn't say "reich," in the clip, but it did. But then I realised, is there actually anything wrong with that word? I looked it up, and found out it means empire, realm, or kingdom. Is that so bad? In many-ways it suits our purpose. To be that "oppressor."

Thank you for any feed-back!

[Image: ezgif_com_save.gif] Oh, Ariana. Stop it, you!
I speak German non-fluently, but I know enough to say that "Reich" means "wealthy" in German. However this may also be interpreted as a state, in the usage of the word, the German State. That includes today too, Germany is a "reich" essentially. However that is an improper usage of the word. The last reich was.. the 3rd reich.
If you put a "3" or "3rd" or "third" etc. in front of it, in this case "4th", it may be offensive to others.
What does the actual clip say in total? PM me if you want, or if you think it may be offensive for the public, but keep this info in mind, if it says only "Reich" means "State" or "wealthy".

Hope it helps.
The following 1 user Likes yarrrs's post:
  • Small Bear
I don't find it to be offensive as such, just because the natzies used to call their dictatorship the new reich or reincarnation of the Roman empire. However, I'd still advise to avoid reaching for touchy subjects such as this, instead of Reich you could just use Empire or smt.
Reich is just a German word, saying the word reich is offensive could be offensive to some Germans.
user title was put to "one of the elders" by default, and holy shit does that sound extreme
No it's not offensive.
[Image: get.php?s=STEAM_0:1:15472195&b=9]
Make your own dynamic signature by clicking here.
Answered.