Weld-Smart Tool Rework
Title of Suggestion: Weld-Smart Tool Rework

Description:
I have reworked the Weld - Smart tool to operate much more efficiently. It is now focused more on welding builds together with the purpose of saving them as dupes, as opposed to the focus of the old tool - to weld every prop with every other prop in attempt to make the welds more rigid (which simply lagged the server and wouldn't offer much improvement over a single weld anyway).

Here is a video presentation with both the old and new version of the tool being used to weld together 40 and 200 props:

Spoiler: Weld-Smart Tool Rework Video Presentation

Here is a chart that compares how many welds are created by the old and new smart weld tool:

Spoiler: Old and Reworked Weld-Smart tool comparison chart

Tool modes:
  • 'props and world' - welds together props and a specific amount of them to the world;
  • 'world' - welds selected props to the world.
The welding process:
  1. The selected props are frozen;
  2. The selected props are cleared of any and all constraints that they may have, which includes welds, hydraulics, elastics and so on;
  3. If 'props and world' mode is selected:
    1. All selected props are welded to a single one, ensuring that the amount of prop-to-prop welds does not exceed n - 1 where n is the number of props;
    2. A random series of props is welded to the world defined by a percentage in the script configuration. (this is to prevent welding props together, unfreezing them and wrecking havoc).
  4. If 'world' mode is selected:
    1. All selected props are welded to the world, but not together.
Why:
  1. Building is fun, welding props one by one in order to save your build is not;
  2. An optimal number of welds means better server performance.
The following 6 users Like Avgar's post:
  • Burnett, Susliks**, Blurr, dig, Mustang, GRiiM
+support
[Image: tumblr_oq4diiJxBR1uo87guo1_500.gif]
I'd like a way to easily weld my props again, only this time without causing 10X the constraints and mass lag. +Support. Good work, Avgar!
Excellent I wanted to do something like thing as smart wild was great except for to many welds
I'll have a look and add tonight hopefully
The following 1 user Likes Temar's post:
  • Burnett
Thanks for the support, guys.

(06-24-2015, 01:48 PM)Temar Wrote: Excellent I wanted to do something like thing as smart wild was great except for to many welds
I'll have a look and add tonight hopefully

Sounds perfect. I added you on steam, I'll give you access to the Git repository where I keep the code.
I've looked at the code, and it looks excellent to me.

Hopefully this'll be added tonight, if Temar is satisfied.
Great job Avgar! It is great to know that someone went out their way to help the community with the frustration of welding props! +Support
If its not too much to ask, can you add a feature to weld to other props only, and not the world?
[Image: FpROeEz.png]
Barkles is attempting to sleep : )
(06-25-2015, 03:01 PM)Voluptious Wrote: If its not too much to ask, can you add a feature to weld to other props only, and not the world?
Once props are welded together they have the potential to cause severe server instability if unfrozen. During testing I found that welding even a relatively small portion of them to the world reduces the chance that they will 'spaz out'.

Perhaps I could implement what you are asking for by limiting the mode to only a certain amount of props.

In what cases do you believe it would be necessary to have the feature you are asking for?
I was thinking if I wanted to move a dupe around, for example a section of a dupe that needs to be moved.
[Image: FpROeEz.png]
Barkles is attempting to sleep : )