Random crashes to the desktop
I keep getting these random crashes to the desktop while playing Garry's Mod, they has no error messages and I have tried looking in the windows event logger for details but this does not provide much help. 

Normally I can play from any range of time from 10 minutes to 2 hours then I start crashing. I know it is not any Addons since I have recently done a fresh install and I have only got the 2 fearless content packs subscribed to. I think it might be something to do with the ELS or the New guns since I mainly crash when a random gunshot goes off or I am in an area with loads of cars with their lights on.

Secondly I know it is not my PC since it has never done this before and it is perfectly able to handle other games such as GTA V. This really bugs me since I cannot find a fix on the internet, most people suggest doing a 'Validation of Game Files' but I've done this and it doesn't anything and the crashes still happen.

If anyone has a fix for this it would be greatly appreciated since I am about to give in to this and play another game, which I don't really want to do since I love Fearless and Garry's Mod.
The following 1 user Likes infiSTAR.de's post:
  • Fishy
I had this problem on another Gmod server, I reduced my graphic settings and changed the Gmod screen size, from default to 1280x720. Try that maybe Nervous
This is a common problem that people don't understand. It can be because of your addons, depending on how many you have and also your graphics settings if you don't have a great computer.

- Don't have too many addons when playing servers.
- If your computer isn't great, don't run everything maxed.
- Make sure your PC is up to date and your direct X level is supported.
- Maybe try re-installing if you haven't already or verify your cache.
Ex-Server Teacher
I have found the source of the crashing, but I have still not found a fix for it. My game crashes when automatic weapons are fired but the crashes randomly occur. For example I could be in a gun fight for about 5 minutes and then find myself crash when someone on the other side of the map shoots two or three shots.
Try running MemTest86, i had a similiar problem with every single game - getting random crashes etc. turns out one of my RAM sticks had bad sectors. After replacing it everything is working pretty fine. I doubt that's the exact problem but it's worth giving it a shot.