So I played CS:GO
I was at the Eurogamer expo today with some friends, and we tried the new Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. While it is not my final opinion, I feel like sharing my experiences with you lot.

I've added an ADHD version of the 'review' at the bottom of the post.

Also, it was on the Playstation. Not the best way to play an FPS, but what the hey. I had fun.

We played three rounds on Dust, and upon spawning I recognised it immediately. It was completely remastered, but the layout was the same, almost identical, therefore I had no trouble navigating it (they've also kept the minimaps, although they have changed, obviously). The graphics, however, were out of this world. They were absolutely stunning, very lifelike, and had wonderful bloom and HDR effects; and the looks of the weapons have changed, too, as well as their animations. The one thing I'm most thankful of, however, is that Valve have kept the original sounds: "Bomb has been planted!" "Counter-Terrorists win!", and the knife, although now a proper combat knife, makes all the same 'shwinging' and stabbing noises.

When I began venturing through the map, I noticed there were a few new routes. Example:
[Image: iKj2jyiCjqPsm.jpg]
What's particularly new is the tunnel near the CT spawn (the one in the screenshot), where all the crates and things are - it's much wider, and contains all different means of cover, including wrecked vehicles, large crates and bricks. There are also a few new rooms and random details added here and there, and the detail areas (surrounding buildings and such) were also infinitely more detailed, no longer looking like large sand castles. Otherwise, the map played out in exactly the same way as before (plant the bomb/defuse the bomb).

The gameplay of the game itself, though, had changed entirely. Sort of. I didn't understand this well, but I think one player on the CT team spawns with a defusal kit, and it cannot be bought from the weapon store (it can be picked up if the player with the kit dies, though). There were helpful pointers such as "defend the bomb-carrier" and "press square to reload" (by 'helpful' I mean helpful for new players... I think).

The buy menu has changed completely. I couldn't spent long lingering, although the guy who played before me was generous enough to not die, so I already had an M4 in my hands (no grenades though). However, I died in the second round, and thus spawned in the third round with a pistol and a combat knife. Bah, I thought, I'll buy some stuff. I opened the buy menu and "what the fuck is this". The menu was similar to the voice command menu in the Left 4 Dead games, being in the form of a circular pad, absolutely nothing even slightly similar to the layout of the old buy menu. Finally I found the 'buy previous' button and pressed it... and got given a sniper rifle and a deagle. I was a bit confused, and promptly died.

Also, the HUD has changed. Drastically. It looked like something out of Wipeout HD, with perpendicular, thin white lines and very retro-style numbers, and the crosshair is a lot less intrusive. Again, very different from the old HUD.

Plus, the skins have changed. I never got to have a close look at the skins but from what I remember, the CT's looked very military-like (similar to the Special Service skins on the FL server), and the Terrorists seemed like plain-clothed dudes with bandanas, sunglasses and weapons.
It all felt very Call of Duty-like.

All-in-all, I'm looking forward to this. I'm totally going to get it when it comes out.

ADHD version: I played CS:GO. It was fun.

Also, for you Uncharted fans out there, Nolan North was at Eurogamer and we got stuff signed by him.
[Image: P6KNEfH.png]           .       
Steam | Twitter | YouTube
Signature graphic by Barkles
The following 2 users Like Ms. Mudpie's post:
  • childjames, Sir McSquiggles
Thanks for the ADHD version man

edit: I feel insulted that you changed it to tldr
The following 1 user Likes childjames's post:
  • equal
(09-24-2011, 09:15 PM)childjames Wrote: I feel insulted that you changed it to tldr
Changed it back. Happy?
Extremely
It's looking good and seems to be fun, but I think nothing will beat CSS, I hope it does tho Tounge The molotov is pretty cool, but gives me a TF2 feeling though.
[Image: get.php?s=STEAM_0:1:15472195&b=9]
Make your own dynamic signature by clicking here.
The following 1 user Likes SoulRipper's post:
  • Ms. Mudpie
Yeah like cs 1.6 and source are almost same except graphics are different,in GO there is lots of NEW stuff Cheese
The following 1 user Likes Mahti's post:
  • Ms. Mudpie
(09-24-2011, 09:31 PM)SoulRipper Wrote: It's looking good and seems to be fun, but I think nothing will beat CSS, I hope it does tho Tounge
I suppose classics are always the best. Still, GO looks very promising.

(09-24-2011, 09:36 PM)Mahti Wrote: Yeah like cs 1.6 and source are almost same except graphics are different,in GO there is lots of NEW stuff Cheese
I see what you mean. A lot has changed and it nearly feels like a different game entirely.
I heard it there was also a leveling and XP system, is that true?

And for you uncharted fans: I have the super rare Nate's diary book signed. Jelly?
(09-25-2011, 07:54 AM)Biowulf Wrote: I heard it there was also a leveling and XP system, is that true?
I don't think so. I didn't see any XP and levelling when I played.
(09-24-2011, 09:31 PM)SoulRipper Wrote: The molotov is pretty cool, but gives me a TF2 feeling though.

Gives me a random-raid feeling Tounge
The following 1 user Likes Sniperwolf's post:
  • Small Bear