[ROLEPLAY] EvoCity Dispatch - ECPD - Are They...?
ECPD: Are They Really at Their Finest?
by Prim Chambers

It's your typical afternoon: There are shots being fired, cars going above the speed limit in the middle of town and someone, somewhere, is probably being mugged. And what are the cops doing? Well at least one of them is cornering a man in the shopping district while pointing an M4 at him.

It's no secret the crime rate is exponentially high in EvoCity, nor that there are days when the police department is run thin. But is the lack of manpower an excuse to shove a rifle in someone's face and start shouting at him?

This writer hardly thinks so, but that's exactly what happened.

Granted it is hard to know whether the man was guilty or not, but that's hardly the issue. The man was standing there, calmly, talking with another witness of the incident, when the cop came charging around the corner a good three minutes later.

The accused – as he will be referred to here on in – was clearly shaken, denying the charges and begging for the cop to listen. But his please went ignored, as the policeman screamed into his radio for back up.

Knowing better than to interfere with a policeman “doing his job”, I couldn't help but inquire as to why the cop was acting so harshly and erratic, while the accused posed no threat. I was, unsurprisingly, ignored.

The guy had bought something from me before,” another witness, who has asked to remain anonymous, states. “He was always polite... He was a good dude, so I assumed the cop was wrong, they got the wrong guy.”

Surely by this point, the cop would take a breath and look at the situation with a clearer head, right?

He wasn't having any of it,” the witness states. “Then they cuffed him and sent him to jail.”

'They' being the backup which had finally arrived. No questions asked, no rights read, he was arrested on sight. End of story.

But it shouldn't be the end of the story. There was no investigation, no questioning from fellow police or the man in charge of issuing warrants that day. There was certainly no one wondering why the man was cornered like a scared rabbit while he had an assault rifle pointed between his eyes.

Again, I make no claims as to whether the man was innocent or not. But if he's not entitled to a fair trial, shouldn't he at least be allowed to tell his side of the story?

Having moonlighted as a police officer a time or two, I know all too well the stresses our men and women in blue are under. But that hardly calls for forgetting our humanity and our empathy.

I can certainly say that times have changed since I first came to EvoCity almost a year ago. So what seems to have gone wrong in the last few months? Has funding dropped? Are we lacking in proper training for the rookies? Or do we all just not care? Maybe the so-called criminals really do need to be treated such as I witnessed, and this writer has just fallen out of touch. Somehow, though, I doubt it.

The accused and ECPD could not be reached for comment at the time of writing this article.

If you would like to contact the author, you can email her at [email protected]

----

Semi-OOC sidenote: If you're interested in writing for the ECD, we're still looking for journalists. You can find the post here
The following 3 users Like lpriml's post:
  • SixPackSoCali, Nuka, Greed^
Good Work! I would love to have you interview me, or go on a ride along with me in a police car.
(01-08-2015, 05:44 PM)SixPackSoCali Wrote: Good Work! I would love to have you interview me, or go on a ride along with me in a police car.

Hey, sounds good! I was hoping to be able to do a counter piece from the POV of someone in  government. I'm usually around after 2pm est, so whenever after that is good for you.
A shame i didn't notice this before, it's very well written!
I love this thread, its an interesting idea for evocity news articles, I've always wanted to do something like this and would love to collab with you, if you need any design art needed to liven up your threads I'm your guy!
[Image: QAlZlgi.png]
(01-10-2015, 06:39 AM)Greed^ Wrote: A shame i didn't notice this before, it's very well written!

Thank you!
(01-10-2015, 06:55 AM)Ludo Wrote: I love this thread, its an interesting idea for evocity news articles, I've always wanted to do something like this and would love to collab with you, if you need any design art needed to liven up your threads I'm your guy!

Weellllll if you're that interested we're still hiring for journalists/photographers and an editor (http://www.fearlessrp.net/showthread.php?tid=56448) Cheese 

I appreciate the offer, though, and will keep you in mind. Might need a header at some point once I figure out the actual format for the "paper". So thanks! Smile