Reality Check.
So, I love Fearless. I love Gmod, and I love gaming, etc. in general. Recently, my friends and I have been looking at all our game hours on steam and comparing them. I have 2,150+ hours on Gmod alone. Originally, I was bragging about this to my friends, but then I leaped back into the point before I met the internet (where 69 was just a number, Darude - Sandstorm was just a song, a troll was something from Three Billy Goats Gruff, etc.) via a mission trip to Liberia, to one of the most poverty-ridden places on the planet, maing FL's slums look like the Taj Mahal. Long story short, I can't keep living this way. I'm not an athletic person anymore, even though I have a 2nd degree black belt and used take MMA on Tuesday and Thursdays, and I played basketball for my school. Unfortunately, now most days I'm just sitting on my ass in my favorite chair, playing some sort of virtual game, where I think I'm exploring something that, in reality, someone else created doing the same thing. I admit, technology is great, but it is dominating human interaction, meaning I need to move it down on the priorities list. It's not like I live in a rich person bubble, though. I've been to all 50 US States, and have driven or rode via car or train to all but Hawaii, I've been to Thailand, Finlad, The UK, Sweden, Iceland, Canada, Mexico (swimming across the Rio Grande, of course), Costa Rica, Ligeria, Egypt, Greece, Italy, New Zeland, China, and the list goes on. Used to, I'd go on two trips during a two week long spring break, one for school and one for enjoyment, or something similar. I don't do that anymore. I turned down a trip to Yosemite National park during summer this year because I said "I had already been there," even though the last time I went I was four years old. The real reason was that I had just gotten two $100 steam credits and was addicted to TF2 trading. My point is, I've been places, I'm (no bragging intended, honestly) intellegent, and I talk to people, but my life still seems to be slipping away as I become addicted to these games. Since 2012, I've spent nearly 3 months of my life on Garry's Mod alone. That's unacceptable. I'm not saying I'm leaving FL, or quitting games, I'm just taking it easier. No more 10 hour straight sessions, no more than one all night playing per two weeks, etc. Recently, I've been realizing that playing during the week makes me concentrate less on school work, or I just rush through it so I can play. I'm not letting my grades fail, because of they do so will my life. Education and life in general is more important than being able to spawn a virtual gas mask. I don't know if this will make a difference in anything, or even be noted, but I've snapped back to reality. There's a big world out there, and the possibilties are as endless as there are in a videogame. I've re-evaluated my life, and so far, it's improving. Has this ever happened to anyone else before? Is it a mutual trait, or is it just me being stupid- I'd honestly like to know, if it's no bother. What have these games done positivley and/or negativley to you?
The following 2 users Like Matrix_'s post:
  • Falcon, Moisty
Happening to me right now, I mean, I used to play Fearless like.. a lot. But now, I've realized it's not the best thing to do when you have a thesis due in two weeks. So, as some people know, I'm not active anymore, and I think it'll stay that way. Thanks for pointing this out, as it is really important in many occasions. 

Positively, the games I play, you know, the regular, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty (Not anymore), uhh, Half-Life, they are fun and all. I used to enjoy all of them on a regular basis. 

Negatively, once you're sucked in, it's hard to see reality for what it is. I mean, as stated before, I spent most of my day playing video games, now, I focus on schoolwork, college preparatory stuff, and other things. I mean, I get to go to Italy, France, and Sweden this year, for school (Which is pretty sweet).

But all in all, not putting gamers down or anything, I just believe it's best to take a break, and see reality for what it is.
[Image: J1zObHm.gif]
Actually is true, experienced it too. But not anymore since I took a break again. Hence my 1500+ hours on FL. But it's not just FL ypu can get it on TF2 and other games too.
They need a Garry's Mod hotline for addicts
The following 1 user Likes Nevy's post:
  • ArcHammer
With my Gmod hours over 4000 hours I think I should comment too.

YOLO.

You only live once and you should do things in your life that you enjoy. It doesn't all have to be healthy, sporty or social.

I've spend months of my life on FL and I can think of what else I would've been able to do, but why? I enjoyed myself in my isolated mancave playing games while my buddies got laid on a saturday evening.

If you notice it's not going well at school because of gaming then I would consider to focus more on school.
[Image: get.php?s=STEAM_0:1:15472195&b=9]
Make your own dynamic signature by clicking here.
The following 2 users Like SoulRipper's post:
  • GRiiM, Matrix_
I know that feel.
Right now, my top priority is Fearless. It shouldn't be like that.
Here I am, with a 20 page French exam coming, and a maths test on 3 chapters, but instead of revising I'm replying.
Waiting for Fearless to get more players on.

Someone needs to put a timer on my gmod, seriously.

Just take your responsibility, and it will be fine. Fearless ain't my priority and never was, I do it for fun, like anyone else should. When you see yourself failing in school thanks to a game - Then get the fuck off it and work with your things.
Kind Regards,
Floodify
The following 1 user Likes Floodify's post:
  • Sasquatchooo
I have over 4000 hours in Garry's Mod, these hours are from 2010 till present time.

During those years I have accomplished so many life goals you don't even understand.

I've passed multiple exams, some of them being very high valued exams not many people are able to pass with appropriate grades. I would never have been able to pass these exams if it wasn't for all the time I've spend on gaming, it has strengthened my English abilities to a point where I've recieved nothing but top grades.

During those years I have been to South Africa, experiencing an entire new culture. I have held a speech for the European Parliament board in Strasbourg, France.

Despite spending so much time infront of my computer I have never missed out on anything; I exercise, I play soccer, handball and used to practise taekwondo.

It's really just about knowing your priorities, there is absolutely nothing wrong with spending a great amount of your time infront of a computer, not at all. You can still have a life outside of the gaming world, you can still have a girlfriend, you can still have a lot of friends, you can still partake in parties and yes, you can still get laid. There's nothing about a computer that limits your possibilities about going outside and having fun. Again, it's all about priorities.

Like SoulRipper said, if you enjoy it, why stop?

Off-Topic:

[Image: get.php?s=STEAM_0:1:40601685&b=10]
The following 2 users Like equal's post:
  • Von Tempski, Sgtbender2000
You know, after reading this, I think I've got it figured out. I just don't need it to overwhelm me as extremely as it has been doing. I need to balance life and pleasure. For now, I need to control myself on gaming in general for a bit, and take hold of school. Then, we'll go from there. With a new semester coming up in a few weeks, it shouldn't take that long to stabilize my grades. Thanks.
(12-02-2014, 04:53 AM)Matrix_ Wrote: So, I love Fearless. I love Gmod, and I love gaming, etc. in general. Recently, my friends and I have been looking at all our game hours on steam and comparing them. I have 2,150+ hours on Gmod alone. Originally, I was bragging about this to my friends, but then I leaped back into the point before I met the internet (where 69 was just a number, Darude - Sandstorm was just a song, a troll was something from Three Billy Goats Gruff, etc.) via a mission trip to Liberia, to one of the most poverty-ridden places on the planet, maing FL's slums look like the Taj Mahal. Long story short, I can't keep living this way. I'm not an athletic person anymore, even though I have a 2nd degree black belt and used take MMA on Tuesday and Thursdays, and I played basketball for my school. Unfortunately, now most days I'm just sitting on my ass in my favorite chair, playing some sort of virtual game, where I think I'm exploring something that, in reality, someone else created doing the same thing. I admit, technology is great, but it is dominating human interaction, meaning I need to move it down on the priorities list. It's not like I live in a rich person bubble, though. I've been to all 50 US States, and have driven or rode via car or train to all but Hawaii, I've been to Thailand, Finlad, The UK, Sweden, Iceland, Canada, Mexico (swimming across the Rio Grande, of course), Costa Rica, Ligeria, Egypt, Greece, Italy, New Zeland, China, and the list goes on. Used to, I'd go on two trips during a two week long spring break, one for school and one for enjoyment, or something similar. I don't do that anymore. I turned down a trip to Yosemite National park during summer this year because I said "I had already been there," even though the last time I went I was four years old. The real reason was that I had just gotten two $100 steam credits and was addicted to TF2 trading. My point is, I've been places, I'm (no bragging intended, honestly) intellegent, and I talk to people, but my life still seems to be slipping away as I become addicted to these games. Since 2012, I've spent nearly 3 months of my life on Garry's Mod alone. That's unacceptable. I'm not saying I'm leaving FL, or quitting games, I'm just taking it easier. No more 10 hour straight sessions, no more than one all night playing per two weeks, etc. Recently, I've been realizing that playing during the week makes me concentrate less on school work, or I just rush through it so I can play. I'm not letting my grades fail, because of they do so will my life. Education and life in general is more important than being able to spawn a virtual gas mask. I don't know if this will make a difference in anything, or even be noted, but I've snapped back to reality. There's a big world out there, and the possibilties are as endless as there are in a videogame. I've re-evaluated my life, and so far, it's improving. Has this ever happened to anyone else before? Is it a mutual trait, or is it just me being stupid- I'd honestly like to know, if it's no bother. What have these games done positivley and/or negativley to you?

Get a girlfriend....
The following 1 user Likes Badl's post:
  • Jan