Looking for a good horror game!
Basically, I'm doing my university dissertation this year and for that, I'm researching and writing a paper on the effects of video game soundtracks on player immersion. To do this, i will be sitting 10 unfortunate volunteers infront of a computer and wiring them up to a heartbeat monitor. They will each play the game for 30 mins with the music on, and 30mins without, FOR SCIENCE!

The problem i'm faced with at the moment however is the fact I have no idea what game to use and as I dont play any horror games because i'm a pussy and I have no idea what would work best so i need help choosing, any suggestions? 

outlast is currently on sale...
System Shock 2 is a great old horror game with a good soundtrack, though the vocals are the creepier aspect compared to the music

Saint Dogbert: The patron saint of technology
[Image: Saint_dogbert.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes BlackDog's post:
  • Faustie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q01tES5Azw
Put this on max difficulty and its brick shittingly scary

(Thats the sound track cos thats what you're after)

It gets way more tense further through in the vid
[Image: JrWpsNC.png]
(09-23-2014, 08:44 PM)BlackDog Wrote: System Shock 2 is a great old horror game with a good soundtrack, though the vocals are the creepier aspect compared to the music

I'm worried that an old school game with dated graphics might cause players to relax a bit and i'm aiming to get as extreme results as possible however, the very fact the graphics are old could be a talking point as the immersion is almost entirely held by the audio. Cheers, I'll give it play!  
(09-23-2014, 09:10 PM)Barkles Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q01tES5Azw
Put this on max difficulty and its brick shittingly scary

(Thats the sound track cos thats what you're after)

It gets way more tense further through in the vid

as i said on steam, thats more shooter driven. It would be cool to have something that's entire purpose is to scare you shitless.
Outlast is by far the scariest game to date in my opinion.

though the gameplay can be a little repetitive, it'll still scare the crap out of you.
Amnesia, the first part.

Enjoy your brown underpants.
The following 3 users Like DoomDude1's post:
  • General Rickets, Envy, GRiiM
Goat Simulator scared the shit out of me..

No seriously, Outlast I would go for man.
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
I honestly think SCP Comtainment breech uses a lot of audio to express the game, without the audio it has no feel but with, it's pretty scary.
Kind Regards,
Wood.
Outlast would be brilliant for this, I seem to remember Amnesia taking more than 30 minutes to kick in.
You can get a nice chunk of Outlast played in first 30 minutes.