Gandhi becomes a scavenger :3 (I need your help)
Hey, I was on my way home from the shops the other day and I noticed all the parts for an old iMac. Me being me, I took it home to see if it'd still work.
I plugged everything in and everything seemed ok until I pressed the power button. It had the blue screen of death. I tried to open it in Boot mode and Single user mode but neither of them would open, I just got the same blue screen.
[Image: untitled_by_ghandifloss-d7kh66w.jpg]
[Image: untitled_by_ghandifloss-d7kh678.jpg]
After looking around on the internet, the two most likely problems with the Mac were:

1. The logic board (motherboard) was broken.

2. The OS files were corrupted.

This meant that there were two fixes:

1. Send it to the Apple store and spend a shitload of money on getting it fixed.

2. Buying a new boot disc so that the old OS would be deleted and a new, working one would replace it.

The problem is that I don't want to invest in either of these until I 100% know the problem. If anyone here knows a lot about Macs, I could use your help.

I will be posting pictures of the screen + mac soon
Thanks,
Gandhi
The following 2 users Like Gandhi's post:
  • Arxxy, Sgtbender2000
If the physical layer seems fine, you will probably need an OS replacement.
[Image: yk9I3Jg.png]
(05-31-2014, 06:55 PM)Infernaw Wrote: If the physical layer seems fine, you will probably need an OS replacement.

Ok, thanks :3

I found a cheap on from Apple (I'm surprised too.) It's only £14 and it comes in three days. If this doesn't work, I'll think about taking the machine apart.
Wait, I am confused so you found a old Mac and is trying to fix it?
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
(06-01-2014, 03:27 PM)Envy Wrote: Wait, I am confused so you found a old Mac and is trying to fix it?

Pretty much :3

I managed to get inside and all the hardware looks good so it's most likely some sort of corrupted file on the computer.
The following 2 users Like Gandhi's post:
  • Tawee, Envy
Lucky Gandhi, wish I could find stuff like that.
Kind Regards,
Arxxy
Fearless Donator

(06-01-2014, 05:11 PM)Unholy Wrote: Lucky Gandhi, wish I could find stuff like that.

The wonders of living in Croydon

UPDATE:

There was a lock on the back of the mac stopping me from being able to look inside it so I broke the lock so I could get inside. When I finally managed to open the Mac, all I could see was dust so I used the most elegant piece of machinery to clean it, a Hoover...

After carefully hoovering the insides of the mac, I was finally able to actually see what was inside. All of the circuit-boards were undamaged and all of the wires we connected to something. This meant it was even more likely that it was just an OS issue.

I'll add some photos later today

(Just realised that I said this in my last post :3 At least there's more detail now I guess.)
UPDATE:
I ordered a software update from the apple website and everything's just came through. I was given a .psd file that had the redeem code for the download. On Wednesday, I'm going to Reigate to borrow a mac so that I can download the file and configure the disk.