The "Racism" Rule
I am aware that I have posted a goodbye thread to the fact that I will not be playing on the server anymore, but I do still hover on the forums.

So recently I've seen a lot of ban requests regarding a few Fearlessians using the word "N***A* and I kind of became rather frustrated by the responses some admins gave. Here are a few examples:

"It's a damn word like "lol" why should he get banned for saying a word?" - PrivateToast

"Serious chill, it's a damn word, how can you ever survive a day on the internet?" - PrivateToast

"...why even bother posting ban requests like this, it's just silly" - Zzzzap

--------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to point a few things out. Rule 14 clearly states: "No racism, sexism, discrimination or hate speech, also not in IC chats." || Also rule 10 says "If you see someone breaking the rules, try to warn them or contact an admin."

People have attempted to contact an admin in game as I have seen previously and admins tend to "not see" the requests or are not online so a ban request is made, unfortunately two admins as seen above have made it clear that not all rules are set and stone clearly by their attitudes.

Now this is not me being an arsehole or what ever some of you may think but where I come from as a white male in England, if I said that word even as a joke it is automatically classed as racist by police and coloured or white people (and so it should be). *** is automatically a racist word when used as it was a popular word used against coloured people god knows how many years ago whilst they were bound to slavery by the arrogance of the white man. So no... it is not just a word. It is offensive and if you intend to have a rule up stating that racist words are not allowed then I expect admins to take the matter seriously when reported and not have such arrogance like seen above.

If admins are not going to respond firmly to the rules themselves then I suggest that they are changed or re-written to explain what is classed as racism!

Thank You and this is not a thread to flame, just putting my point across!
The following 3 users Like VerteX's post:
  • Rain999, HellShell, Fillehh
It is an opinion that varies between the administrative team. I do agree that it should go one way or the other. It is rather confusing whenever you are getting mix signals by the administrators. In my opinion if you are not directing it at someone and using it in a negative way it should be fine. But if you are using it in a negative way you should be banned hands down.
But this is the arguement. It can be said in so many contexts and it would still be unclear as to whether it is offensive or used as a "saying". As far as I am concerned, the word is nasty and disgusting and should be dealt with as such.

I can honestly not see how a once stereotype-like word aimed at slaves years ago can be used in a positive/friendly context. Nope.
In my opinion, it should be allowed ICly if used correctly.
I think it's nonsense someone can't say those stuff ICly. It's rp after all.
To be honest what is definitely needed here is clarity.

The most important factor is consistency, the rule was established, in a sense, to make it easier for administrators and for the server to prevent racism. If you ban all forms of it, whether RP or not, then at least you have a basis from which everyone can follow.

(09-30-2012, 05:31 AM)Jerry Microwave Wrote: if used correctly.

The problem with this is that it is then up to administrators, of which even they have different views and ideas on this matter, to decide what is used correctly and what is 'acceptable'.

If you ban all forms of racism, even words such as N__, which some people like to point out are not racist in themselves (Another topic, perhaps start that elsewhere) then at least you have a complete basis from which to work from that everyone understands.

Lets face it, there is no real need to be using words such as N__ or F__, if you have to use them then perhaps it is advisable to develop your vocabulary.

The most important thing here is consistency and by having that you avoid situations such as Filleh's ban request. Either all racism is banned, intentional or not, or you become a very liberal community and allow ALL forms of racism.

Ideally, you would want a system whereby everyone was mature enough to decide on where roleplay ends and racism starts, but unfortunately that cannot be found here. It is much simpler for everyone if you avoid using these words.
When someone makes a BR on another guy for saying nigg-a or nigg-er in chat, it's very hard to determine in what way the word was meant. It's a grey zone, basically.
(09-30-2012, 09:35 AM)Birdie Wrote: When someone makes a BR on another guy for saying nigg-a or nigg-er in chat, it's very hard to determine in what way the word was meant. It's a grey zone, basically.

Well, if you have a clear screenshot where someone says somthing like this in OOC:

F*CK YOU, YOU FUCKING ***
Or something similiar.
Although, it could be used in gangs and stuff, where they say things like: Hey nigg**, or whats up my nig***
As Birdie stated, it is a gray area. In all truth, with a perfect player base, people would know when and how to use those words.

As Hellshell said, it can be used with absolutely no offense meant, and can help with gang RPs. Even in real life, that word is used out of offensive context.

Sadly, seeing as the player basis is FAR from perfect, I feel that simply making a rule set in stone will clear things up. Just ban the word from all and any forms of use, make it easy for everyone to understand.
A rulebreak do not mean the accused player has to be banned. I warn if the rulebreak isn't too big. The player recived a warning. And thats enough, why should we give fl a image like if you join you'll be banned. That word can be used for rp aswell.
For a year ago that word and many others was allowed. People were using it for rp. We could rp nou-nazi, soviet russia also. But the new players start find it offensive so it got disallowed and since that. Fl's rp level has fallen much.

Posted from cellphone.
The following 1 user Likes PrivateToast's post:
  • rand0m0mg