The "Racism" Rule
I made a post regarding how saying "***", "gook", "toad", "frog", "redskin", "whiteboy" etc. aren't inherently racist.

See, per definition racism is the belief that one or several races are superior or inferior to one or more other races. Saying "***" once, twice or thrice does not mean you believe one race to be superior than another. As an example:
Well I feel the same. Races are equal in my opinion. But because I said *** so many times, does that make me a racist? Might make me an offensive bastard, insensitive to other's feelings, but I am no racist. It's inherently the same with the word ***.

However, if someone said "Get the fuck out, you fucking ***, go steal some bikes or some shit", that'd be both disrespecting, stereotyping and be a blatant racist statement. The one word does not necessarily mean racism, homophobia etc. but when used in a context that stereotypes someone, or disrespects someone it is surely punishable.

I steel feel it's a gray-zone in-game. When your character is in a heated spot, say, during a raid, I think you should be allowed to shout slurs at your enemies. Reminds me of a GTA:SA MP server I was playing on. Every. Single. Guy. In my gang would just spout "***" non-stop. None of them were racist in real life, and they were all very pleasant. They were just playing a role. And doing it well, actually.

*checks himself*
Nah I'm still not a racist.

(09-30-2012, 10:59 AM)PrivateToast Wrote: For a year ago that word and many others was allowed. People were using it for rp. We could rp nou-nazi, soviet russia also. But the new players start find it offensive so it got disallowed and since that. Fl's rp level has fallen much

That sounds like a damn shame. It should be re-allowed. Nevermind who takes offense to it.
(09-30-2012, 11:04 AM)Dylan Wrote:
(09-30-2012, 10:59 AM)PrivateToast Wrote: For a year ago that word and many others was allowed. People were using it for rp. We could rp nou-nazi, soviet russia also. But the new players start find it offensive so it got disallowed and since that. Fl's rp level has fallen much

That sounds like a damn shame. It should be re-allowed. Nevermind who takes offense to it.

Yeah, indeed it should be re-allowed. I guess many people agree with this.
I am completely against every attempt to re-introduce racism on the server, even if it's ICily. At least 40% of our playerbase doesn't know the difference between IC and OOC and we can all imagine how bad this can escalade. It's good how it is.
[Image: pNUrjiv.png]
Credit goes to Jamie.
Same with the 'fa­ggot' rule really. What's the big deal about it. What's the big difference between that and any other swearword that is allowed.
(09-30-2012, 02:45 PM)Biowulf Wrote: Same with the 'fa­ggot' rule really. What's the big deal about it. What's the big difference between that and any other swearword that is allowed.

Because it's usually used as a slur toward gays
(09-30-2012, 03:10 PM)Slick Rick Wrote:
(09-30-2012, 02:45 PM)Biowulf Wrote: Same with the 'fa­ggot' rule really. What's the big deal about it. What's the big difference between that and any other swearword that is allowed.

And *** isn't just a slur that is commonly used against black people?
(09-30-2012, 03:19 PM)DerStorm Wrote:

I'm not saying I'm for words like f*ggot and n***er being bannable, I'm saying why it is bannable.
I believe it's stupid that we disallow swearing/instulting in IC. Of course it's not allowed OOC but it should be alright in game.

I think it could actually enchance some RP situations. Perhaps presidents making laws about insulting and so on.
And obviously I really don't think anyone will get offended by being called stuff on the internet.. I mean almost everyday I hear that my enemies in Battlefield/Call of Duty are banging my mom..
The following 4 users Like StillAlive's post:
  • Biowulf, monk, PrivateToast, Salinsky
(09-30-2012, 03:31 PM)Slick Rick Wrote:
(09-30-2012, 03:19 PM)DerStorm Wrote:

I'm not saying I'm for words like f*ggot and n***er being bannable, I'm saying why it is bannable.

Saying the word should not, and to be technical, is not disallowed. I've already said why saying "cigarette got" is not homophobic, nor is saying "nigg er". Racism is the belief that one race is superior or inferior to another. Saying "Nigg er" does not, in any flipping way, make me a racist. Makes me an insulting, offensive bastard, but not a racist. The rules do not specifically state that "nigg er" and "Fagg ot" aren't allowed. So if we assume you're not disrespecting anyone with the use of the word, it's technically, as per the rules, allowed.
These words are considered discriminating and offensive. Using them will lead to disciplinary actions as seen fit by an administrator - note, this doesn't always have to be a ban.