Something i might never understand.
Alright i want to start this off with saying that i don't want any Name calling or flaming in this thread if anyone decides to read it.

Now to the point.

I don't understand how people can be offended by names and other things. I mean i see that some people get banned from this server because of names related to different historical people. And the main reason people get banned is because the name is offensive... That i don't get because first of all history is history and history helps create the world and secondly it's only names... I am not meaning to be disrespectful to anyone or trying to offend anyone. But i mean if people choose a name that is close to let's say a nazi it is offensive because they killed a lot of people but it dose not seem to get the same effect if i would name my character after the supposed real identity of jack ¨the ripper¨ for example why is that? this is just my little question

Hope i did not offend anyone with this thread because that was not my intentions

sincerely yours

Ghost_walker.
Your's Sincerely
Foxy The Pirate

I suppose some people are more emotional than others.

When I think of this sort of thing, my mind always wanders back to the "Don't Mention the War" scene from Fawlty Towers.
[Image: P6KNEfH.png]           .       
Steam | Twitter | YouTube
Signature graphic by Barkles
Yes, it's only a name but certain names in history are related to horrible events and acts. Which is the big problem in my opinion.

Everytime I am on the server and see somebody called "Adolf Hitler" or something like this, all I see is a child, who probably has no idea what that name really is connected to, all he probably knows is that it was some german guy who killed jews, RPing this guy. What I feel when I read this name is horror, because of this guy and his ideas more than 6.000.000 people died, I don't feel comfortable when I see a child RPing under the name of this guy, probably making fun of it and others thinking it's funny, maybe looking up some other mass murders to RP with their names.

There is probably one thing most of you don't think of, the average player here is probably around 12-15 years old, they are children, still learning things. I think we as the community have a responsibility for those children in showing them that there are certain borders in life of things which are to be made fun of and other things on which you should stay serious.
Yes, there are movies and other things e.g. in theaters where people make fun of nazis or others. Thing is, those people are adults, well aware of the history and everything linked to those characters/events.
Making fun of those things is appropriate to a certain extend as it does help people process things, but the 'funny' parts mostly ends in the end when you realize how serious it actually is.
This is something which never happens during RP, people play with the name of a mass murder or dictator without even knowing what actually happened or what it means to other people.

I don't see any possibility in somebody actually making 'good RP' as Adolf Hitler.
"Faustie was on the server today and RPed as Adolf Hitler, he was such a good President, build huge buildings where he burned black people and those chinese Taxi drivers - was just hilarious to RP in his cop team."

or

"Faustie was on the server today and RPed as Adolf Hitler, made some brilliant laws about integration of colored people into EvoCity and made a speech starting with "I have a dream..." afterwards, just a great President."

In either way, just very very wrong and inappropriate.

Just FYI, an admin should normally ask you to change your name when you name yourself something like 'Jack the Ripper', same thing applies to other names linked to horrible characters or events in history.

(03-05-2012, 05:27 PM)Sir Raffi Wrote: I suppose some people are more emotional than others.

I don't think this is about emotionality, more about being aware of characters and events in history, what they did and how it affected people, cultures, families.
Just because you couldn't care less about those things doesn't mean others don't. History has shown what happens when people have the 'f*ck all' - attitude, people looking away and not caring about things, just because it doesn't concern them directly - not a good thing.
Dare to think!
thanks for the great explanation nudel i think the biggest problem for me was that i have a very different view of what a child is i mean in my opinion and in most of my familys opinion a child is a person of the age between 6-12. and also i think you might have misunderstood me on one point i have never RPd with the name Jack the ripper and i used it as a example and i said that if i used the supposed real ID of jack the ripper wich is not known but there are alot of suspects with full names. I mean i don't think it would be any less horrible but it would not be more horrible than hitler but if i for example used one of the suspects names i don't think anyone would notice.
Your's Sincerely
Foxy The Pirate