Poll: Would you be interested in playing City RP again?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
81.63%
40 81.63%
No
18.37%
9 18.37%
Total 49 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Survey - FL Interest
(12-19-2023, 02:27 PM)Haarek Wrote: In short, we don't want the criminal role-play to be simply a mediocre option - it needs to be the best option available to make money by far. Or else you are simply breaking down the meta of the gamemode.

I feel you hit the nail on it's head here. Even though I always refrained from AgressiveRP, cause frankly I am not very good at it. It's what made playing on FL interesting. I surely do remember using contraband to save up for a car, with the chance of getting caught being very addicting. And it's what playing rebel, Corleone or president made my adrenaline pump and encourage me to come back. 

I agree with Haarek here that turning FL into "just another RPG" where interacting with other players is "an option" does break FL's purpose in my opinion. Countering this with passive ways of making money without player interaction solves the issue of the unstable playerbase, but does indeed breek the core.

I find it very tough to be able to fix the balance while keeping the core intact, as it requires an active playerbase.
(12-19-2023, 10:09 PM)De CodeerHeer Wrote:
(12-19-2023, 02:27 PM)Haarek Wrote: In short, we don't want the criminal role-play to be simply a mediocre option - it needs to be the best option available to make money by far. Or else you are simply breaking down the meta of the gamemode.

I feel you hit the nail on it's head here. Even though I always refrained from AgressiveRP, cause frankly I am not very good at it. It's what made playing on FL interesting. I surely do remember using contraband to save up for a car, with the chance of getting caught being very addicting. And it's what playing rebel, Corleone or president made my adrenaline pump and encourage me to come back. 

I agree with Haarek here that turning FL into "just another RPG" where interacting with other players is "an option" does break FL's purpose in my opinion. Countering this with passive ways of making money without player interaction solves the issue of the unstable playerbase, but does indeed breek the core.

I find it very tough to be able to fix the balance while keeping the core intact, as it requires an active playerbase.

I know it breaks the core but it's the only option as we've already tried everything else. We know from our time on the server last year and the countless surveys we've done that players don't really want to roleplay in the same way they used to. Players that spend time making nice dupes or RPs for others to participate in are extremely rare now and can't be relied on as it used to be years ago. AggRP has always not relied too much on others anyway, it has mostly been a choice if you've wanted to raid others or just sit in the corner of the map alone. Giving more options to the other jobs is all we're really doing, you can still do things the old way if you want to.

I think a misconception Haarek and others have is that if we give players nothing to do they'd actually interact and RP. This isn't true at all, they just won't do anything and eventually disconnect. Farming wasn't the issue, it was extremely popular even after the massive nerf because some players just wanted to chill and grow some plants. We can't force players to interact with eachother and it's very clear not everyone wants to, turning it into more of an RPG is the only way it can survive. We don't want to remove player interaction entirely, just make it less essential to being able to be stuff such as merchant or chef.

The short version of it is the old core of FL doesn't work with newer players and if we don't try change it in some way it'll never work. We're not getting rid of options, we're just adding more. I don't think player choice is a bad thing and if you want to do things the old way you still mostly can. I think it's better to just wait and see what we do rather than talking about hypotheticals though, as it's much easier to show. Some of it probably sounds worse than it actually is.

Also, the hard part is definitely implementing ideas. Most bad ideas in the past are due to compromises as the better stuff wasn't possible. There are probably as many abandoned cool updates as there are ones that were actually done, if not more if you count the ones that couldn't even be started due to the lack of resources (clan update comes to mind, was in dev hell for over 5 years with three different versions made). Even now most things are primarily just being developed by me with some help by Internet for more backend stuff, as we just don't have the resources to do more simultaneously. That's a big part of why things have been slow.

EDIT: Just want to really stress that we're not removing player interaction entirely, the only time it will be gone is when it literally isn't possible (for example, very few players online). The amount of player interaction required will depend on how many are on and what they're doing. It's hard to explain with words but the system is quite cool, hopefully we can show it off more in the new year.
(12-20-2023, 09:43 AM)Pollux Wrote: I know it breaks the core but it's the only option as we've already tried everything else.

That's a ridiculous statement - and one that truly illustrates your tunnel vision.

(12-20-2023, 09:43 AM)Pollux Wrote: Players that spend time making nice dupes or RPs for others to participate in are extremely rare now and can't be relied on as it used to be years ago.

How can you expect people to RP and make dupes for a server with no players? Of course they are rare.

(12-20-2023, 09:43 AM)Pollux Wrote: AggRP has always not relied too much on others anyway, it has mostly been a choice if you've wanted to raid others or just sit in the corner of the map alone.

AggressiveRP is so much more than raiding others, and it has a lot to do with others. As a matter of fact is has everything to do with others. Absolutely gobsmacked you would come with such an utterance.

(12-20-2023, 09:43 AM)Pollux Wrote: Giving more options to the other jobs is all we're really doing, you can still do things the old way if you want to.

That's great, but the "old" way is broken and it needs to be fixed. Which really should be apparent after this discussion.

(12-20-2023, 09:43 AM)Pollux Wrote: I think a misconception Haarek and others have is that if we give players nothing to do they'd actually interact and RP.

I have no idea how you got that impression. I could re-iterate what I've said, but let's be honest - it's not going to help. Most respectfully, you have misunderstood.

(12-20-2023, 09:43 AM)Pollux Wrote: Farming wasn't the issue, it was extremely popular even after the massive nerf because some players just wanted to chill and grow some plants.

Exactly. People "Chilled and grew some plants" instead of interacting with other players on the server. I suggest: "Chilled and grew some plants and make money". Not exactly beneficial for player interaction or new player retention so sit around in a grass field and do fuck all?

(12-20-2023, 09:43 AM)Pollux Wrote: We can't force players to interact with eachother and it's very clear not everyone wants to, turning it into more of an RPG is the only way it can survive.

Yes, you can. And that is exactly what the meta of the gamemode does. In example, if you need to get a gun you need to interact with a gun dealer. If you need a mechanic you need to interact with a mechanic.

(12-20-2023, 09:43 AM)Pollux Wrote: and it's very clear not everyone wants to, t

Not everyone wants to interact with other players, fine. But unfortunately if you want to make this gamemode successful again you will need to implement game mechanics that "force" people to interact.

(12-20-2023, 09:43 AM)Pollux Wrote: Turning it into more of an RPG is the only way it can survive.

That's, again...
I think the whole collective community just cried a small tear reading that.

(12-20-2023, 09:43 AM)Pollux Wrote: The short version of it is the old core of FL doesn't work with newer players

A wild and baseless assumption. However yes, I agree it needs substantial improvement.

(12-20-2023, 09:43 AM)Pollux Wrote: if we don't try change it in some way it'll never work.

Totally agreed

(12-20-2023, 09:43 AM)Pollux Wrote: We're not getting rid of options, we're just adding more.

Unfortunately the gamemode is more complex than that. In example adding more options to make money: destroyed the economy. I am not advocating against change or more options - however, things need to be implemented properly.

(12-20-2023, 09:43 AM)Pollux Wrote: Also, the hard part is definitely implementing ideas. Most bad ideas in the past are due to compromises as the better stuff wasn't possible.

If the idea cannot be implemented properly it is not a good idea. Simple as. Starting to implement such ideas just illustrates lack of insight into the development teams capability.

(12-20-2023, 09:43 AM)Pollux Wrote: . Even now most things are primarily just being developed by me

Very reassuring.

(12-20-2023, 09:43 AM)Pollux Wrote: It's hard to explain with words but the system is quite cool, hopefully we can show it off more in the new year.

That's great. We all are anxious. And I am sure it will be great.
However, I would also stress to you and anyone reading this to look into fixing the core meta of the gamemode.
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
Guys, I understand you are developing GTA9 and it needs time and the utmost delicateness, but y'all gonna suffocate the community to death like this.

Load up any version of the gamemode onto one server and let people join up in the meantime.

idk why I didn't post this sooner.
The following 4 users Like blu's post:
  • Panda, gin, Lewwings, Marve Fleksnes