Proper FPS era is on the brink of extinction?
*Note the PROPER FPS*

Hello dear FearLissians

This topic was going around my head for a good while now
And I am curious to know what you think about it

I used to be a great FPS fan, and am on the edge right now for whether I am going to continue with playing (or just being interested) that genre of video games
Until today, when I played the Metro Last Light, this came into my head.
Era of FPSes is dying
There is just no more fun in playing any of them

Look around
There are loads of FPS games riveting (don't know exact verb for that) and none of them have new or better or exclusive features. Even if it is a stealth/FPS game, it has nothing new. It doesn't differ much (in terms of game(play) mechanics). It is something we see nearly in every FPS coming since 2010-2011. And most of great FPS series end up just like CoD, which you probably all know perfectly what I am talking about.

My only hope is still hanging on these next games which always differ, and these games, still holding me off from abandoning FPS genre:
Halo, Far Cry and Half Life, in a hope that they will not stop amazing us with their sequels

I am starting to lose hope in a video game genre that I have started with, since I was a little kid

So what you think?
Will Proper FPS genre with fun to play gameplay, is on the brink of extinction?
Will that be on hold for years, until the developers will come up with greater ideas to reborn that genre?
Or is it doomed?

The way I see that right now is "go there, shoot everyone in this corridor, kewl cutscene, shoot, shoot, shoot, another cutscene, shoot"

Messages In This Thread
Proper FPS era is on the brink of extinction? - by Dr Tomorrow - 05-17-2013, 06:55 PM