Reality Check.
So, I love Fearless. I love Gmod, and I love gaming, etc. in general. Recently, my friends and I have been looking at all our game hours on steam and comparing them. I have 2,150+ hours on Gmod alone. Originally, I was bragging about this to my friends, but then I leaped back into the point before I met the internet (where 69 was just a number, Darude - Sandstorm was just a song, a troll was something from Three Billy Goats Gruff, etc.) via a mission trip to Liberia, to one of the most poverty-ridden places on the planet, maing FL's slums look like the Taj Mahal. Long story short, I can't keep living this way. I'm not an athletic person anymore, even though I have a 2nd degree black belt and used take MMA on Tuesday and Thursdays, and I played basketball for my school. Unfortunately, now most days I'm just sitting on my ass in my favorite chair, playing some sort of virtual game, where I think I'm exploring something that, in reality, someone else created doing the same thing. I admit, technology is great, but it is dominating human interaction, meaning I need to move it down on the priorities list. It's not like I live in a rich person bubble, though. I've been to all 50 US States, and have driven or rode via car or train to all but Hawaii, I've been to Thailand, Finlad, The UK, Sweden, Iceland, Canada, Mexico (swimming across the Rio Grande, of course), Costa Rica, Ligeria, Egypt, Greece, Italy, New Zeland, China, and the list goes on. Used to, I'd go on two trips during a two week long spring break, one for school and one for enjoyment, or something similar. I don't do that anymore. I turned down a trip to Yosemite National park during summer this year because I said "I had already been there," even though the last time I went I was four years old. The real reason was that I had just gotten two $100 steam credits and was addicted to TF2 trading. My point is, I've been places, I'm (no bragging intended, honestly) intellegent, and I talk to people, but my life still seems to be slipping away as I become addicted to these games. Since 2012, I've spent nearly 3 months of my life on Garry's Mod alone. That's unacceptable. I'm not saying I'm leaving FL, or quitting games, I'm just taking it easier. No more 10 hour straight sessions, no more than one all night playing per two weeks, etc. Recently, I've been realizing that playing during the week makes me concentrate less on school work, or I just rush through it so I can play. I'm not letting my grades fail, because of they do so will my life. Education and life in general is more important than being able to spawn a virtual gas mask. I don't know if this will make a difference in anything, or even be noted, but I've snapped back to reality. There's a big world out there, and the possibilties are as endless as there are in a videogame. I've re-evaluated my life, and so far, it's improving. Has this ever happened to anyone else before? Is it a mutual trait, or is it just me being stupid- I'd honestly like to know, if it's no bother. What have these games done positivley and/or negativley to you?
The following 2 users Like Matrix_'s post:
  • Falcon, Moisty

Messages In This Thread
Reality Check. - by Matrix_ - 12-02-2014, 04:53 AM
RE: Reality Check. - by Falcon - 12-02-2014, 06:09 AM
RE: Reality Check. - by Weecow - 12-02-2014, 06:29 AM
RE: Reality Check. - by Nevy - 12-02-2014, 07:02 AM
RE: Reality Check. - by SoulRipper - 12-02-2014, 08:48 AM
RE: Reality Check. - by Safira - 12-02-2014, 09:07 AM
RE: Reality Check. - by Floodify - 12-02-2014, 09:13 AM
RE: Reality Check. - by equal - 12-02-2014, 09:16 AM
RE: Reality Check. - by Matrix_ - 12-02-2014, 12:55 PM